FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   OT: Ok, I'm going to say it... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1293090-ok-im-going-say.html)

FlyingOnceMore Jan 1, 2012 7:07 am

There's one thing both forums have in common.....

They actually allow, if not demand, that you have a sense of humour; unlike many forums where it's positively discouraged and frowned upon to the point you'd swear it was against the TOS.

origin Jan 1, 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 17725301)
There's one thing both forums have in common.....

They actually allow, if not demand, that you have a sense of humour; unlike many forums where it's positively discouraged and frowned upon to the point you'd swear it was against the TOS.

^ I agree with that. If the BMI do join the BA, please bring it along as well.

T8191 Jan 1, 2012 9:57 am

Does the BMI fraternity/sorority have it's own "In Jokes"?

If so, please take a moment to explain them when you arrive, but please don't ask about MUCCIs. Nobody understands that, except La PUCCI :D

Happy New Year, you lot :D

Kevincm Jan 1, 2012 10:47 am

Two words: Cheese Toastie ;)

Bukhara Jan 1, 2012 3:39 pm

jjjjjjjjjj

PUCCI GALORE Jan 1, 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by origin (Post 17725383)
^ I agree with that. If the BMI do join the BA, please bring it along as well.

Hear! Hear!

GoldCircle Jan 1, 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 17725897)
Does the BMI fraternity/sorority have it's own "In Jokes"?

Yes, but it can be edgy! ;)

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...660bc795d2.jpg

dark_horse Jan 2, 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 17657524)
Although, it has to be said most DC members do redeem in F and J so I think you're being a wee bit unfair saying it's all premium cabin talk.

Cor, there's a lot of BA regulars popping up on this thread! :)

Isn't it simply the case that these are different airlines, appealing to different people for different reasons? Vive la difference, I say!

T8191 Jan 2, 2012 10:33 am

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 17731358)
Cor, there's a lot of BA regulars popping up on this thread! :)

Isn't it simply the case that these are different airlines, appealing to different people for different reasons? Vive la difference, I say!

1. It's a precautionary "Group Hug" ;)

2. Absolutely ... different routes/schedules for a start. I have no idea which is/was better, as BMI doesn't/didn't fly the routes I want ... apart from the one they scrubbed the day after I booked it :D

BearX220 Jan 2, 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk (Post 17674054)
In some ways the BA board resembles a lot of the kind of culture/aspirations which the BA premium cabin brand tries to evoke: a sort of throwback to the era of Noel Coward - complete with class is an important issue, a hint of ill-will to those seeking to go up a class without earning it, a not-entirely-secret willingness to understand the actual way to raise once's class; and of course there's the secret society (cf. the Mucci), the frisson of homosexuality... the whole thing is just a little bit like a novel set in a 1930s Boarding School.

Perhaps the most perceptive post I've ever read summarizing BA board culture, especially the last few words. There's the reflexive defense of the institution (old-school loyalty) no matter its sins, with vicious parallel attacks on critics. There's the hazing of new boys. There's the obsession with class strata (forms and clubs); this world mirrors real British life in that inhabitants of the upper classes simply turn up there (by dint of having high-travel jobs) -- visible striving is less acceptable. As in boarding school there are bullies, jocks, academic grinds, sensitive poets, Footlights stars, etc. And the "frisson" you mention extends to some adolescent perplexity about women (who are relatively scant on the board, except as mummy substitutes or neutralized tomboy buddies) and saucy, overtly excited asides about getting whacked with hairbrushes.

I feel a sociology paper coming on.

T8191 Jan 2, 2012 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
And the "frisson" you mention extends to some adolescent perplexity about women (who are relatively scant on the board, except as mummy substitutes or neutralized tomboy buddies) and saucy, overtly excited asides about getting whacked with hairbrushes.

Wow ... this is all very profound and deeply insightful. And worrying, in that you seem to have spent some time analysing the gender of the BA Board users ;)

And the DC Board culture is what? Cloth caps and breeding ferrets? :D

HIDDY Jan 2, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 17731732)
Wow ...

Indeed.

I think some people are taking all this far too seriously. :D

T8191 Jan 2, 2012 11:25 am

And with that user-name, he never even mentioned Bears.

I shall never fly BMI again. :D

Shuttle Jan 2, 2012 12:22 pm

Well as a lurker on both BA and BMI boards, I am looking forward to the merger in the FT-scheme-of-things: in the way that most corporate mergers/takeovers are promoted to us ground troops, I am hoping that a merged forum will combine the best elements of the character of both forums.

Although I am really going to miss the brilliant BMI "Rubber Chickens and other Tweets" thread, which captures the essence of the BMI forum :)

Shuttle

FlyingOnceMore Jan 2, 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 17731358)

The volume of Irish members on this side of the fence is an obvious one as the country barely registers a nano sized blip on the Oneworld map in comparison to Star Alliance. Even putting bmi services to LHR to one side, there are eight other carriers to choose from. That makes for a lot of fare choice and connection possibilities. In the years I've lived here, BA have rarely been anywhere near what you could call competitive on revenue fares and I haven't flown BA since, I think, 2002. I'm sure they probably are more competitive these days, but they fell off my radar a long time ago. Of all the frequent flyers I know over here who earn Star Alliance Gold on an annual basis, only two of them also earn Oneworld status.

Outside of their initial pronouncements, it'll be interesting to see how BA handle Ireland further down the line...