FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   OT: Ok, I'm going to say it... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1293090-ok-im-going-say.html)

starflyergold Apr 27, 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 18470409)
I've just had a chuckle to myself over on the BA board and thought I'd pop back over and share that things have evidently so out of hand that the mods are calling for reinforcements of Ambassadors? or what seems to be Blunket's Bobbies (Community Support Officers) to help keep order in the ground now that we've been promoted to their Premier League:D

Now now :D The Ambassador programme operates already in a number of FlyerTalk fora and is no reflection on the waywardness of the regular posters in said fora.

There are calls for Ambassadors in a number of fora at the moment: Amtrak, National, Hilton, Avis, Argentina, South America, Africa etc.

HIDDY Apr 27, 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 18470693)
Now now :D The Ambassador programme operates already in a number of FlyerTalk fora and is no reflection on the waywardness of the regular posters in said fora.

There are calls for Ambassadors in a number of fora at the moment: Amtrak, National, Hilton, Avis, Argentina, South America, Africa etc.

Indeed.....and the role of Ambassador is more one of welcoming and pointing new posters in the right direction rather than one of policing unruly members.
Only the Mods get issued with feather dusters and steel toe capped boots. ;)

starflyergold Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 18470830)

^ (some even get Twix)

h15t0r1an Apr 27, 2012 11:22 am

btw before DC shuts up shop and the answer is lost to us forever, is anyone ready to give a hint as to what is this Mucci Pucci connection? :p

h15t0r1an Apr 27, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 18470409)
I've just had a chuckle to myself over on the BA board and thought I'd pop back over and share that things have evidently so out of hand that the mods are calling for reinforcements of Ambassadors? or what seems to be Blunket's Bobbies (Community Support Officers) to help keep order in the ground now that we've been promoted to their Premier League:D

Are they so afraid of us, then ?:)

YorkieFlyer Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am

Indeed.....and the role of Ambassador is more one of welcoming and pointing new posters in the right direction rather than one of policing unruly members.

My apologies,
Traffic wardens then:p
Mmmm, not sure that metaphor is any better:D

YorkieFlyer Apr 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Do we get an ambassadors reception with Ferrero Rocher 'n all? :D

Traveloguy Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 17731481)
1. It's a precautionary "Group Hug" ;)

2. Absolutely ... different routes/schedules for a start. I have no idea which is/was better, as BMI doesn't/didn't fly the routes I want ... apart from the one they scrubbed the day after I booked it :D

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 18471935)
Do we get an ambassadors reception with Ferrero Rocher 'n all? :D

I'll go get that buck fizz all the kids love! ;)

LonLH Apr 27, 2012 9:05 pm

iMO, every member should then be a de facto ambassador. The idea of nominating some person with "proven desirable qualities" to welcome newbies, pass on their infinite wisdom to newcomers sounds a bit silly as all of us should be doing it.. Assuming all of us are civil, friendly and helpful to newcomers and each other.
Reminds me of Orwell... All animals are equal but some are more equal...

bullroot Apr 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by dark_horse (Post 18457091)
If I may give my view here, as a BA regular (but one who spends all my time at the back of the aircraft)...

I've got some sympathy for the criticisms of the BA forum. BA has targeted premium pax for a fair period, and it's no co-incidence that much of the talk is about First and Business classes. It's not quite 20% of the people providing 80% of the chat, but Economy definitely doesn't get the coverage it should - which makes much of it irrelevant for me (redemption flights excepted!).

And yet, despite that, I rather enjoy it over there. The banter - while often robust - can be far more intelligent than expected on an Internet forum. The insights have made my travelling life far more comfortable than I expected. And, of course, I've learnt how to get myself up towards the front of the aircraft for minimal cost too... :)

So if the imminent onset of the massed ranks of BMI's babies [sic] is about to bring some balance and order to the BA forum, I say "good." Because while BD might be being absorbed into BA, the BA board has no such ownership structure.

It will become what you make of it.

Its a classic example of the 90,9,1 phenomenon on forums. 1 per cent are the frequent posters, on the ba board this is the 30 or so people that are on all the threads. Of that, few seem to fly in business or first more than a couple times per year, and it seems mostly via shopping in tesco. They then massively over analyze every part of business class flying such as how to eat a scone or when to wear the rubbish pajamas that you can get in first class. A lot of time is on people's hands it seems.

henry999 Apr 28, 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by bullroot (Post 18474591)
Its a classic example of the 90,9,1 phenomenon on forums. 1 per cent are the frequent posters.... A lot of time is on people's hands it seems.

With some of these posters, it can be very interesting to look at their join date and post count. Simple division often reveals a shocking average number of messages per day, sometimes continuing over years. It does make one wonder.

cheers,

Henry

travelwithross Apr 28, 2012 1:55 am

They then massively over analyze every part of business class flying such as how to eat a scone or when to wear the rubbish pajamas that you can get in first class. A lot of time is on people's hands it seems.

Ambassadors? Pfft. What a complete fantasy. Like someone else has said, it's Orwellian and treating people like babies.

I see this point every day over there. More, they treat the BA forum like a sanctum to discuss ANYTHING. For instance, there is always a post about BAA security wait times, or someone posts about hospital bills, or what you wear when you travel... yesterday, they talked about Skylon. That really took the biscuit - the reason being, it was 'british' and 'aeronautical' and 'really quite cool'.

OT posts are the norm.

hsmall Apr 28, 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by rxfleming (Post 18474999)
Ambassadors? Pfft. What a complete fantasy. Like someone else has said, it's Orwellian and treating people like babies.

I see this point every day over there. More, they treat the BA forum like a sanctum to discuss ANYTHING. For instance, there is always a post about BAA security wait times, or someone posts about hospital bills, or what you wear when you travel... yesterday, they talked about Skylon. That really took the biscuit - the reason being, it was 'british' and 'aeronautical' and 'really quite cool'.

OT posts are the norm.

And that is in what way wrong? The BA forum can be fun, like a group of friends chatting in a bar. That is why I like it.

YorkieFlyer Apr 28, 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by LonLH (Post 18474288)
iMO, every member should then be a de facto ambassador. The idea of nominating some person with "proven desirable qualities" to welcome newbies, pass on their infinite wisdom to newcomers sounds a bit silly as all of us should be doing it

I say old chap it's not what you know, it's who you know:p
These are the loony lefty democratic ideas that got us in this mess of having to pretend to eat pasties what, what :D

HIDDY Apr 28, 2012 7:34 am

Of that, few seem to fly in business or first more than a couple times per year, and it seems mostly via shopping in tesco.

Does it matter how people earn their miles....the airlines certainly don't give a damn.

The majority of people who fly don't fly up front, they travel down the back paid with money out of their own pocket. I don't think it matters how often one flies in order to give an opinion. Many of these shiny card holders who object to infrequent flyers having a say have never flown Ryanair yet they're always piping up how awful an airline they are.

I think the forum reflects how the BAEC membership has changed over the years...certainly since they relaxed the joining rules when only high value customers were allowed in.