Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ok, I'm going to say it...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought about this thread for a minute.

I was going to ask if we werent allowed to mention flying First class ever again so we dont unpset BMI. I was going to offer to wear some clothes when I am on flyertalk, so I wont be waving anything around.

But then I thought about what makes a culture, well the people. If , when or why BMI joins IAG then we shall see what happens to BMI. If you do join us over at BA, and most welcome you are as well.

You will bring your own culture. Most on the BA dont go about waving things at all. the BA board will then develop into the new time, with new people.

Anway as the lovely, beautiful and young Miss GALORE says above me, welcome.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexwuk
the frisson of homosexuality (this is not a pejorative comment: I'm not saying it's bad, not saying it's good - just saying it's a not a topic the bmi board every really talks about/alludes to, despite the fact that SMB was a very prominent gay figure at the top of UK Plc) .. the whole thing is just a little bit like a novel set in a 1930s Boarding School.
I havent noticed any sex or homosexuality in the posts that I see on the BA board. I honestly dont get what people are referring to. Maybe someone can explain to me. Not everyone on the BA forum is gay.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by origin
I havent noticed any sex or homosexuality in the posts that I see on the BA board. I honestly dont get what people are referring to. Maybe someone can explain to me. Not everyone on the BA forum is gay.
This statement did baffle me somewhat. I think it was possibly related to the 'public school' attitude some might see in the BA board and the undertones of homoeroticism some perceive in boys only public schools (I have no idea if this is true or not, I went to a comprehensive).

There are gay people who post on the BA board and the bmi board (myself included) and probably every other board on Flyertalk (particularly this one ) and since this is a community about frequent flyer programmes and not sexual preference I don't really think it makes much of a difference.

Last edited by sigma421; Dec 31, 2011 at 8:38 am
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not everyone on the BA forum is gay.
Thanks, I'm relieved. I was wondering how I was going to break the news to my wife that I was going to have to change my sexuality!

As for the original topic on this thread, I think most will find themselves welcome on the BA board - its obviously a lot busier than this board so will have a wider range of topics. It can be a bit irreverent at times, but I think that's part of its charm.

And I was going to suggest that the only reason there are no BMI Apologists on this board is because there is very little to apologise for, but I'm not flown BMI for a year or so now, so am probably not in a position to do so
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sigma421
This statement did baffle me somewhat. I think it was possibly related to the 'public school' attitude some might see in the BA board and the undertones of homoeroticism some perceive in boys only public schools (I have no idea if this is true or not, I went to a comprehensive).
Thanks for your explaination. There was a little of that kind of fun. But I havnt seen anything this year. Also its only fun and not meant to offend anybody.

My public school friends are great people, who I can rely on anytime.

Anyway, Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Thanks, I'm relieved. I was wondering how I was going to break the news to my wife that I was going to have to change my sexuality!

As for the original topic on this thread, I think most will find themselves welcome on the BA board - its obviously a lot busier than this board so will have a wider range of topics. It can be a bit irreverent at times, but I think that's part of its charm.
I still want a date with kelly brook.

I agree that they BMI people, if they come over, will be most welcome. They just need to be themselves and dont need to worry about be able fit in.

But we dont know what will happen to BMI yet, maybe IAG if it does purchase them, will keep them seperate.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Thanks for your explaination. There was a little of that kind of fun. But I havnt seen anything this year. Also its only fun and not meant to offend anybody.

My public school friends are great people, who I can rely on anytime.

Anyway, Happy New Year.
And the same to you too origin! And just to make it clear that I am not passing judgement on people who went to any type of school (or none at all!) I was merely trying to explain the background to a comment! Have a fantastic night everybody
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As 2011 staggers to a close, and I stagger to bed early with the worst dose of Man-Flu I have even known ...

... can I just say a precautionary "Hello" to the new people who'll inevitably be joining us? You will get to know us, and we will get to know you: it will of course take some time, and undoubtedly there are cultural differences to be overcome. But what are we all anyway? Just another bunch of people on "IAFIBB"

Have I ever flown with BD? Not since BD563, 28 May 2008. The next time I booked JER-LHR, BD pulled the route the day afterwards ... although they were very quick and efficient with the refund
However, I have never forgiven them!!

See you in 2012 ^
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Oh Dear - I would then imagine that my breaking a silence to post here will be as welcome as the proverbial in a swimming pool!
Goodness, no posts here since 2005 and then 3 in one year? We are blessed!

I would say to the bmi folks who've not nosed around the BA board very much in recent times, it's not what it once was. There's far less role playing and, er, 'stuff', than there used to be. Granted, it's not as refined as these here parts, but we must be accepting.

It's not all bad over there.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by heramato
Beirut and Tehran are both amazing places. Too bad the american media affected you in such negative way.
As long as you are not Jewish and fly using your second passport with no Israeli stamps... Anyway, whinge over, no need to reply. Happy New Year, guys.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:43 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by T8191
As 2011 staggers to a close, and I stagger to bed early with the worst dose of Man-Flu I have even known ...

See you in 2012 ^
So much for my resolutions!!

Boys and Girls - you will be so welcome. Don't be shy. That's four posts here this year. Bring your Teddies - they are welcome to. Let's face it it BA and BD are only three letters away.

Seriously BD was/is a delightful airline and I will be sad to see its passing.

I told them over at BA Forum - I was kissed by Michael Bishop. There ! How many others of you can match that!!!

Happy New Year.

Origin you are a smoothie! Love it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
I was kissed by Michael Bishop.
Whereabouts?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
So much for my resolutions!!

Boys and Girls - you will be so welcome. Don't be shy. That's four posts here this year. Bring your Teddies - they are welcome to. Let's face it it BA and BD are only three letters away.
Heh. Nice observation, PUCCI!

I've been an occasional lurker on the BA pages, but have noticed your posts on there (and a lot of in-jokes that I didn't quite get, but I'm on enough other fora that share that characteristic... so know how that comes about!) But now I get the origin of the Mucci... I thought it was some kind of Mornington Crescent-esque award, perhaps in the style of Clive Anderson's scoring on Whose Line Is It Anyway. In any case, the background and welcome are greatly appreciated at this end!

I do remember BCal (and Dan-Air was my first ever flight experience when I was about 12 - worst turbulence I've ever experienced, orange juice all over my shirt, and thought that was going to be the norm! ) - think I flew BCal once, as well... but take your point re. parallels with more recent events (and, from what one of my in-laws has told me, maybe Canadian/AC as well? She is retired now, but some of what she's told me sounds familiar...)

As for BA/Avios, I don't know if it will be right for my family for several reasons. But I'll certainly be happy to dip my toe in to the forum if I can actually add anything of value (I can do the odd topical LOLcat, and offer a few half-decent tips to folks passing between YYZ and BUF these days - but suspect that might not be too relevant

Anyway, here's to a good 2012 for all - however we end up flying, and wherever on FT we end up posting more on!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:15 am

It seems to me there is a significant contrast between the reactions here to a stereotypical wind-up post (mods deal with it, others ignore it) and what you would see on the BA board (a spiral of indignant abuse). And it does seem that everyone is free to have their say, even if their view doesn't coincide with the board norm, free of flames. I understand what is being said about cultural difference. But not everyone is the same on BA and IMHO change is now inevitable.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll make you welcome in the land of warm white wine. Now, excuse me, I have to go and wave my willy around.

PS - there is a social in March. There may be champagne, but I hope not. I am sure you wold be welcome and it would be good to put faces to names.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by tony flynn
Whereabouts?
At the aircraft dooR. And that is not what you were hinting is it? you shameless adorable boy - look even my grammar has gone west here at BD!

You have mail - or is that male?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.