Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ok, I'm going to say it...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Does it matter how people earn their miles....the airlines certainly don't give a damn.

The majority of people who fly don't fly up front, they travel down the back paid with money out of their own pocket. I don't think it matters how often one flies in order to give an opinion. Many of these shiny card holders who object to infrequent flyers having a say have never flown Ryanair yet they're always piping up how awful an airline they are.

I think the forum reflects how the BAEC membership has changed over the years...certainly since they relaxed the joining rules when only high value customers were allowed in.
Sorry for not being clearer, was using a tablet so trying to be brief due to rubbish keyboard

My point is that there are so many posts about "etiquette", that you would think it is a black tie dinner or exclusive restaurant that people are attending as opposed to getting on a flight. The obsession with protocol and etiquette on one hand reads like the posters are from an increasingly obsolete social class which is concerned about such things, yet in reality they are average Joe's who are in those cabins due to their shopping habits as opposed to being landed gentry, which is how their assumed behavior would often lead you to believe. "Greeted by name" being a common concern as an example... do the same people expect to be greeted by name at Tesco checkout??
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bullroot
My point is that there are so many posts about "etiquette", that you would think it is a black tie dinner or exclusive restaurant that people are attending as opposed to getting on a flight. The obsession with protocol and etiquette on one hand reads like the posters are from an increasingly obsolete social class which is concerned about such things, yet in reality they are average Joe's who are in those cabins due to their shopping habits as opposed to being landed gentry, which is how their assumed behavior would often lead you to believe. "Greeted by name" being a common concern as an example... do the same people expect to be greeted by name at Tesco checkout??
Oh Sweetheart I do so agree but honestly have you see the AA Forum and some others with this Etiquette nonsense. Good God - do you have to define what good manners are? It's all about consideration and respect for others. Amen.

Now - let's put one thing to bed. Muccis. I did not start this, as HIDDYwould plead.

Years ago when the BA Forum was more like a Creche in a Louche London
Drinking Den rather than what is today. - the remedial class at a struggling inner London comprehensive which has merged with a failed Public School.

We had a member called ScottC. He and the redoutable Blair Van Horn and Celbrian created Glam Goddesses on the Tarom Forum and appointed yours truly and SanDiego1k. We were not consulted and not content with that - appointed themselves as Muccis of Pucci without any leave from me.

I then proceeded to appoint whomever I felt. Being entirely capricious, it tended to be young virile males (there are particular exceptions to this but my heart always ruled my head) - but exceptional ladies were included as well.

What it means is like trying to understand the rules for Mornington Crescent. There aren't any. I make it all up. I have awarded this to two Teddy Bears and a large Moose whose name is quite impossible to remember. It's all about fun and banter - its not meant to be Cliquey. Indeed when I became an Evangelist I was awarded the handle that I have by SanDiego1 herself.

So please - just come and have fun too. At the end of the day - isn't that what this is all about?

Am I allowed to give a Big XXX to all the BMIbabies here?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Ambassadors? Pfft. What a complete fantasy. Like someone else has said, it's Orwellian and treating people like babies.

I see this point every day over there. More, they treat the BA forum like a sanctum to discuss ANYTHING. For instance, there is always a post about BAA security wait times, or someone posts about hospital bills, or what you wear when you travel... yesterday, they talked about Skylon. That really took the biscuit - the reason being, it was 'british' and 'aeronautical' and 'really quite cool'.

OT posts are the norm.
I just had a look at the "Ambassador" thread on the BA forum, and am not at all surprised that by now it's developed into a discussion concerning sharing a hot-tub with Sienna Miller. And trust me, I'm making it sound far more entertaining than the reality of reading it. (I'm not familiar with the lady's body of work, but I'm assuming that she is British, aeronautical and really quite cool? I may be wrong...)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hsmall
The BA forum can be fun, like a group of friends chatting in a bar. That is why I like it.
It must be fun if you are one of the group. Otherwise you are ignored at best or reminded where you belong at worst.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Am I allowed to give a Big XXX to all the BMIbabies here?
Reference to BMIbaby/ies might not be the most tactful thing at this juncture...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It must be fun if you are one of the group. Otherwise you are ignored at best or reminded where you belong at worst.
I disagree. When I was a newcomer, a little green about frequent flying issues, I was made most welcome. I think sometimes we can be a little tough to people who haven't read the stickies, or are determined that BA can do no right (and yes there are those similarly afflicted who think BA can do no wrong). But on the whole I have found it a pleasant place which has grown my circle of friends both in cyber and in real space.

I am uninterested in grades of champagne and my husband (yes, that is the "frisson of homosexuality": get over it) and I will continue to patronise Wetherspoons from time to time. If I can be welcomed so can you.

Seriously people: how about actually posting there and seeing how you get on rather than feeling like it's some sort of exclusive club you are banned from. I understand the pain of losing your airline - I know how I would feel if LH took over BA. But I am quite sure that the overwhelming majority of BA forum members, from ordinary ones like I am to our friendly and excellent mods, will be happy to see you and have you add to the diversity of the forum.

Last edited by hsmall; Apr 29, 2012 at 4:24 am
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Am I he only one looking at all this angst (most from people who are not particularly active bmi board participants) and wondering what's the big deal???
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I cant understand the angst either. Talk of a clique? What about this bunch of bmi board regulars who might get transferred en masse to the BA board? Will we be status matched there too

I reckon we wont be stood in the corner like wallflowers at the local dance (you will have to be of a certain age to know the reference ... but I am more hip-op than hip-hop these days).

A large number of us had dual nationality on both boards anyway! Now being a double gold I rather feel "enhanced" in quite a different way to the way that DC has been
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: A3*G, AB-G, Hilton Gold, Marroit Silver
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Am I he only one looking at all this angst (most from people who are not particularly active bmi board participants) and wondering what's the big deal???
no
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
You mean....you mean it's not the life and death situation like some are portraying?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
the BA Forum is today...- the remedial class at a struggling inner London comprehensive which has merged with a failed Public School.
Fantastic description! Oh, dear what have us poor BMI'ers got ourselves into?
Old May 1, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...clubworld.html

Follow above link, some of the people who have posted on this thread really do need to get a life!
Old May 1, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Alinlondon
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...clubworld.html

Follow above link, some of the people who have posted on this thread really do need to get a life!
Be fair, I've just scrutinised the thread and not a single mention of champagne
Old May 2, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
You mean....you mean it's not the life and death situation like some are portraying?
One thing that fascinates me is the concurrent active member count between the two boards. BMI = 69; BA = 420. On a not very statistically accurate analysis it always seems to be of this order!
Old May 2, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Several years ago - as a prefect in the remedial class of my failing inner London comprehensive - I posted about a dozen times on the BA board, and was given three Muccis (separately and each with various further distinguishing characteristics which I have since forgotten). I doubt that several hundred posts about using the wrong lavatory would earn you anything.

The whole thing is a(n in-)joke. It's Pucci Galore's way of saying she enjoyed reading your post and it made her laugh. She makes it all up as she goes along, which is why I can't for the life of me remember now the additional appendages she granted me. I can't see what harm it does and cannot believe any 'recipient' of the 'honour' takes it seriously.

I haven't posted there for years because, like most FT members, my main purpose is to obtain/share information about the airlines I actually fly. Since that is about to change, I shall no doubt begin posting there again. Mostly it will be about practical matters when flying BA and OW. But as our particular sense of humour is, thankfully, bound to erupt on the forum of a British-based airline, I shall sometimes join in the fun. A humourless chase for extra miles and status is not a very attractive pastime. Like most people, I shall read more than I post, but I shall simply not bother with the threads that would infuriate me.

Swanhunter has already done us a great service in patiently and painstakingly providing answers to the questions of bmi newcomers and I, for one, am immensely grateful for his posts. That alone, surely, is indicative of the welcome that awaits us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.