Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Given BA offers many more non stop routes all with flat beds
Let me just fix that for you.....

Given BA offers many more non stop routes all with flat beds if you live in South East England
For those of us who don't, moving to BA would make no difference whatsoever to our one-stop connection routine.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Feb 26, 2012 at 10:38 am Reason: Oxon'd
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Let me just fix that for you.....

For those of us who don't, moving to BA would make no difference whatsoever to our one-stop connection routine.
Actually it's worse, I've quite got used to flying out of CDG/BRU and saving a wedge re APD
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:36 pm

Are there any updates re BMI Baby?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Can someone tell me what is the policy for Avios points expiring? I really don't feel like digging through hundreds of posts on the BA board or BA's website to find that information if someone can easily post it here.

Then, if their expiration rules are different, I wonder whether they'll make any exceptions for BD miles that are transferred. I know any comments would be pure speculation. For those of us with some huge balances, it would quite annoying if they have a short life and no easy way to extend the life.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:45 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Can someone tell me what is the policy for Avios points expiring? I really don't feel like digging through hundreds of posts on the BA board or BA's website to find that information if someone can easily post it here.

Then, if their expiration rules are different, I wonder whether they'll make any exceptions for BD miles that are transferred. I know any comments would be pure speculation. For those of us with some huge balances, it would quite annoying if they have a short life and no easy way to extend the life.
All forums have a handy search function, even the BAEC one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post17776182
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll only need to burn points at least once every 36 months, and no need to earn any. Certainly cannot complain about that policy. I've been burning my BMI miles wherever practical, but I know I'm going to still have a huge balance whenever the sale is finalized.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll only need to burn points at least once every 36 months, and no need to earn any.
Earning doesn't require flying - even a small purchase on the BA eStore which earns 1 Avios is enough to keep your entire balance alive.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BA, VA
Apologies if this information is hiding within the thread, but I was trying to find out if there is yet a definitive date up to which bmi miles can be redeemed before they are transferred to BA/Avios?

We are hoping to book business class flights from MAN to SFO, returning from SAN for August 2013, but I guess if the merger continues and the bmi scheme is wrapped up before September this year, then we will be left with a much lesser choice of flights from Manchester with BA/AA

Many thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
No, there is no date yet as nothing has been finalised.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: BA, VA
Originally Posted by colmc
No, there is no date yet as nothing has been finalised.
Fingers crossed then it will rumble on into October, at least for my purposes!!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
The "incentive" is that 95% of BMI DC members in the UK will also be BAEC members, so BA would effectively be p*ssing off their own customer base as well as BMI's.
I dare say this is true, and indeed I have a BAEC card also but there is a reason it has always been Blue. The costs of flying BA in Business from the ABZ to the destinations I need are stupid high compared to AF/KL, LH or even EK (+connection)! Unless BA try and compete for these passengers on a price basis then I cannot see the point of them being generous when taking over DC. BA will always have its passengers here, but they tend to be the ones where money is no object as they are often more than double the cost.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Matching to Gold and Silver only has a cost if the member flies...and by definition BA (or at least a OW member) will be getting revenue to offset that cost.
Only if the passenger flies BA/IB (or tatl on AA under the JV), hence why it makes sense to distinguish between genuine BD flyers and pure DC maximisers. Take the situation of a passenger who is USA-based and flies extensively within the Americas and to Asia but not at all to Europe. This passenger would have zero value for BA but a cost in terms of access to lounges when flying AA in the Americas or AA/CX on tpac itineraries.

The real question is really a numbers question: would there be enough people in this or similar situation for BA to bother putting in place restrictions on matching?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NickB
Only if the passenger flies BA/IB (or tatl on AA under the JV), hence why it makes sense to distinguish between genuine BD flyers and pure DC maximisers. Take the situation of a passenger who is USA-based and flies extensively within the Americas and to Asia but not at all to Europe. This passenger would have zero value for BA but a cost in terms of access to lounges when flying AA in the Americas or AA/CX on tpac itineraries.

The real question is really a numbers question: would there be enough people in this or similar situation for BA to bother putting in place restrictions on matching?
Except presumably the passenger would be generating revenue for BA through payment by the operating airline to BAEC. I've no idea whether that's enough on average to cover the lounge fees (I suspect so), but even if it isn't the difference must be so small that it's not worth BA's time to differentiate between passenger profiles.

BA is paying a fair chunk of money to buy BD, and will have enough issues to worry about during the integration without spending endless hours analysing what amounts to small change in comparison to the purchase price, let alone the distraction from the bigger picture of getting the extra slots to work for them as soon as possible. I can imagine there might be a different match for 55k DC'ers compared to 'normal' Gold, as that would be quick and easy to do, but I wouldn't expect anything more detailed than that.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
tonymc

Don't forget that once the deal is done (expected end March 2012) bmi will immediately leave *A so the expectation is that you will only be able to redeem with codeshares, until ba put a stop to that!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Stormbel
tonymc

Don't forget that once the deal is done (expected end March 2012) bmi will immediately leave *A so the expectation is that you will only be able to redeem with codeshares, until ba put a stop to that!
Leave, yes. Immediately, remains to be seen and we have not heard anything about how long between completion and a BD exit from *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.