Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption - Which Carrier to Hawaii...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Holiday season is looming for me again, and this time we are looking at a trip to Hawaii on my miles.

Looking at the redemption chart, it's going to cost the same going from Zone 1 or Zone 2, so with this in mind, who is going to give us the best service for the initial transatlantic hop (all of the US to Hawaii flights are UA / CO)

Options seem to be:

ZRH - SFO on Swiss
FRA - LAX on LH
FRA - LAX on UA

or possibly the leftfield option of FRA -> NRT going the other way round - there's only a few hours in it.

Any other good options I've missed?

I've enough miles to do either business or first, but would probably look at cash + miles.

Last option is to hold off and hope that star upgrades come into play soon, and look at buying Y flights and upgrading, but without firm dates and rates it's a bit of an unknown at the moment

Having never been to Hawaii and reading a lot of conflicting reviews of where's best to go, any advice on which island, what to see etc is also appreciated

Thanks

Jon
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
You could also do ZRH-LAX and ZRH-NRT both on LX.

Also look at CDG-NRT but you would have to get to Paris first.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Best options IMO would be LHR-NRT or FRA-NRT with NH (both routes are operated by the 77W with new fully flat C) or ZRH-NRT with Swiss. Personally I would avoid the US if possible and pass through NRT which is a dream in comparison. Also getting seats on the ZRH-NRT route is pretty easy.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've flown through NRT quite a bit and it is very efficient... The new NH setup is very nice too - our last redemption ended up coming back in NH in C which was great (long story, there's a thread about in on here from March-ish).

I guess going from NH C to UA C is going to be a bit of a step down for the next hop though!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by =jon=
Thanks for the replies. I've flown through NRT quite a bit and it is very efficient... The new NH setup is very nice too - our last redemption ended up coming back in NH in C which was great (long story, there's a thread about in on here from March-ish).

I guess going from NH C to UA C is going to be a bit of a step down for the next hop though!
NH flies to HNL on their 777-200ER so you will be able to connect to NH C (albeit a reclining seat) for the rest of the journey ^

But for the best trip I would do LX F ZRH-NRT and connect to UA F (I hate UA F but when connecting from a 12hr flight to a 7hr flight the fully flat bed make's it the best choice IMO). The only problem is that LX F doesn't connect well with the UA flight. You would really need to fly NH F for a nice connection but good luck finding Nh F seats

Last edited by pogonation; Aug 4, 2011 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
NH flies to HNL on their 777-200ER so you will be able to connect to NH C (albeit their angled lie-flat seat) for the rest of the journey ^
Ahh, cool Strange that the *A flight search tool only shows NH -> UA though
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
Personally I would avoid the US if possible

Pretty hard to do considering his final destination is Hawaii.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by =jon=
Ahh, cool Strange that the *A flight search tool only shows NH -> UA though
It's because all the NH flights from Europe arrive into NRT around 15:00 - 15:30 so there would be a much bigger wait to fly NH at 21:30 than UA at 19:25.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

It's because all the NH flights from Europe arrive into NRT around 15:00 - 15:30 so there would be a much bigger wait to fly NH at 21:30 than UA at 19:25.
Makes sense I suppose...

Re. UA F, I fly approx 80-90K miles/year long haul in Y, anything that gives me a bit of leg room and food not served on a plastic tray is much appreciated
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Wasn't there a routing rule that said Europe - Hawaii needed to go via North America?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
No mention of NZ to LAX yet? Standards are slipping!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Air Canada has lie flat seats to Hawaii.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by sschwenk
Wasn't there a routing rule that said Europe - Hawaii needed to go via North America?
Nope. It's been done via NRT several times
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton
Pretty hard to do considering his final destination is Hawaii.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Been trawling through the ANA tool looking for availability for Europe -> HNL or KOA via pretty much any route I can think of for the 24th Sept -> 8th October and there really doesn't seem to be a lot available, even going 10 days forward doesn't help a lot - seats start showing up as RQ (request availability from Airline) for everything...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.