Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Protests in Cairo and planned trip!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi all,

Mrs SgtRyan and I are due to fly to Cairo in a couple of weeks for 4 days. I’ve noticed on the news that there were protests yesterday which got a bit out of hand.

From watching the video on BBC’s website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12283849), and reading the story, I don’t think MrsSgtRyan will want to go now. (I know that might be an over the top comment considering the protests has only gone on for 1 day). If it does carry on, and we want to cancel, would BMI still charge the cancelation fee?

Cheers ^
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, until they issue a policy for CAI.

However, there have been quite a lot of problems in BEY and Lebanon in general, and bmi continue to fly here with no special policy.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
The FCO currently says 'there are no travel restrictions in place in Egypt.' (Correct at time of publishing).

There is a difference between the Egyptian and Tunisian disruption. Tunisia involved people from across their society, young old, male and female, poor and some seemingly more affluent people too; whereas looking at the pictures from Egypt it seems to be just young men. Doesn't seem as sustainable to me, but of course that doesn't mean it's not going to cause you a problem.

I'd be more concerned with the general level of risk in Egypt that has been seen prior to the demonstrations, as demonstrated by the recent explosions.

Last edited by jbfield; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
From my travels to Cairo...I would say that all women...not just Arab...are treated with less regard by Arab men...than non-Middle East residents would expect. I would not encourage my wife to travel to Egypt in good times.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: Various memberships
If you believe what you see on the media no-one would have come to London after the student protests! (and I say that as someone with experience working in the media)

I would be quite happy to go to Cairo at the moment.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
If you believe what you see on the media no-one would have come to London after the student protests! (and I say that as someone with experience working in the media)

I would be quite happy to go to Cairo at the moment.
Fair point – can’t argue that at all.

I guess the problem is from talking to various people about the trip, the response has been all negative which has not helped. Then with the protests the other night, that was the final nail in the coffin.

I think we are going to cancel and book up somewhere else. We have over 180,000 miles to burn and have the week off....see what happens or where we end up.

^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by SgtRyan

I guess the problem is from talking to various people about the trip, the response has been all negative which has not helped. Then with the protests the other night, that was the final nail in the coffin.

I think we are going to cancel and book up somewhere else. We have over 180,000 miles to burn and have the week off....see what happens or where we end up.

^
Obviously that is your choice. But then I have heard people complain about London - "expensive hotels, rip off prices for tourist attractions, gangs of hoodies ready to mug you". Add in the recent student protests and you would think it was a war zone.

One report I read was that a lot of locals were moaning that the protests resulted in a street closure and so the traffic was worse than usual in the rush hour (that was Cairo, not London in case you were wondering).

To be honest I wasn't that taken with Cairo but the Pyramids are worth seeing, even if they are at "the end of the high street" (which you rarely see in the pictures!)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Obviously that is your choice. But then I have heard people complain about London - "expensive hotels, rip off prices for tourist attractions, gangs of hoodies ready to mug you". Add in the recent student protests and you would think it was a war zone.

One report I read was that a lot of locals were moaning that the protests resulted in a street closure and so the traffic was worse than usual in the rush hour (that was Cairo, not London in case you were wondering).

To be honest I wasn't that taken with Cairo but the Pyramids are worth seeing, even if they are at "the end of the high street" (which you rarely see in the pictures!)
Depending on your line of work and location in London, some would agree that London is a war zone

Im keeping an eye on the current situation, it appears that there are more protests planned for today
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
I liked Cairo...mainly exactly because it was utterly nuts. And yes, there is a KFC next to the Sphinx but hey, it is still a fascinating place.

As for the riots.....if I had booked, I would still go for sure as long as the FCO said it was ok. If I hadn't, then I probably wouldn't for now.

Really did like Egypt in general though.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
The Akhbar al-Arab website said Gamal Mubarak, his wife and daughter were on board a plane which departed from a western Cairo airport bound for London on Tuesday.
BD772?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cairo and Egypt are fascinating places to visit. However with the army on the streets and a curfew in force I would consider postponing a trip right now.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
Please, unplan this trip. Even after the insurrection is finished, Egypt will be unstable for years.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by flybmi.com
Protests in Cairo 28 Jan 2011

The current protests in Cairo are not currently affecting bmi flights into Cairo as the Airport remains open.

Arriving passengers should be aware that there is a curfew in Cairo from 6pm to 7am local Cairo time.

We are currently reviewing our services that are due to depart tomorrow, 29th January 2011, and recommend you check Flight Status on flybmi.com before leaving for the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:11 pm

870 wounded and 5 dead ,Kuwait Airways have suspended flights. Mobile phone operators have been told to restrict networks. Tourists have been told to stay inside hotels until further notice. Fires burning all over the city. US government advises against all but essential travel to Egypt. BA flights suspended and Egypt Air have suspended all flights for 12 hours. State TV has been stormed.

Certainly not a place I want to be in.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:09 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SgtRyan

^
I don't blame you, really I don't. You have peace of mind when travelling IMHO, or at least as much as is practical when away from the familiarity of home. Frankly, IME, Cairo is a dump. A hole. We visited last year & if it wasn't for a long-held desire of mine to see the pyramids & the egyptian museum, then Ms NoY would never had agreed to come. We only stayed for the minimum of time to get done what we needed and got out. This was last April/may IRRC. Apart from the aforementioned attractions I cannot think of a single redeming feature of the place & would NEVER return. Each to his/her own of course, but them's my twopence worth! Please let us know where you decide to go.....perhaps we can find positives about that!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.