Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
US723 DUB-PHL / US967 PHL-SFO in Y; 22,500 miles and £46.40 taxes
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Just booked: 16th dec LHR CPT via JNB C class SAA Returning 26th Dec CPT to LHR 2 people:

37500 each plus £255 plus tax; £427.23 each

PS Can any one reassure me that the taxes are ok; I would be grateful Tx

Last edited by simonsmith; Jan 28, 2011 at 5:56 am
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Hey Godfather - Good to see that you followed the spirit of the thread and saved yourself some overhead on this one !

What month is this for ?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
Hey Godfather - Good to see that you followed the spirit of the thread and saved yourself some overhead on this one !

What month is this for ?
< 2 weeks from today. Can't believe I've never exploited the loophole of flying US ex-DUB and saving so much on APD and YQ.

Normally I would agree that one shouldn't redeem only miles for Y, but this is the longest redemption I've ever made: 5793 miles.

Hope to confirm the inbound and post it here in the next hour.... and you're going to like that one too
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
< 2 weeks from today. Can't believe I've never exploited the loophole of flying US ex-DUB and saving so much on APD and YQ.

Normally I would agree that one shouldn't redeem only miles for Y, but this is the longest redemption I've ever made: 5793 miles.

Hope to confirm the inbound and post it here in the next hour.... and you're going to like that one too
Was thinking about doing that too, then looked into Ryan Air's fares ex UK. £30 o/w fare + £40 luggage charges + £5 admin fee + fee for paying fees + fees for paying fees on fees that have just been paid.

In the end it worked out only £80 cheaper. Not worth it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lallyr

Indeed.....I'd be looking for a three figure saving at least and be wanting a break in the departure city as well before I would do that. More comforting to have your flights all under the one itinerary should something go drastically wrong.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:20 am

Was thinking about doing that too, then looked into Ryan Air's fares ex UK. £30 o/w fare + £40 luggage charges + £5 admin fee + fee for paying fees + fees for paying fees on fees that have just been paid.

Agreed - not really worth it for THAT saving - but if there's more than 1 pax - and you're in a premium cabin, the saving that you can make can go a long way to something in the US ..........
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.....I'd be looking for a three figure saving at least and be wanting a break in the departure city as well before I would do that. More comforting to have your flights all under the one itinerary should something go drastically wrong.
Agreed - that's why LBA-DUB, then DUB-TATL in J is quite attractive
(all the better if on US for nil YQ)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Why don't you just fly on Aer Lingus then? They are frequently cheaper than ryanair... e.g. most dates in Feb are £34.99 one way inc tax + £5 handling fee + £12 bag = £52 ^ and a better overall experience IMO
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pogonation
Why don't you just fly on Aer Lingus then? They are frequently cheaper than ryanair... e.g. most dates in Feb are £34.99 one way inc tax + £5 handling fee + £12 bag = £52 ^ and a better overall experience IMO
Like yourself NCL is one of my locals and they don't fly from here. But I see what you mean, if I was to fly ex MAN or EDI then I would definitely choose them.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:03 am

If you thought that was good... well, I might be on the verge of surprising even myself.

As promised, I was in the process of making another redemption, this time with NZ, which required a few hours for the taxes to be calculated. When I called back after the suggested two hours, the taxes were so cheap I suddenly decided to use to money saved extend my stay by an extra 24 hours. That meant another few hours for the taxes to be recalculated for the later departure date. When I called back.... the taxes for the new date were even cheaper...

The taxes have been debited from my card and the booking is "confirmed" if not fully ticketed. I've even called my bank to double check I heard the agent correctly when they confirmed the taxes. Could anyone with more experience than me in these matters please tell me if something has gone horribly wrong?

NZ2 LAX-LHR in J / BD6 LHR-GLA in Y+; 33,750 miles and £15.20 taxes

Am I missing something?

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Jan 29, 2011 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Just book a C&M redemption for late December DUB-FRA (LH) in C and FRA-JFK (SQ) in C next morning - 18,750 miles and £281.00 cash & taxes.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
The taxes have been debited from my card and the booking is "confirmed" if not fully ticketed. I've even called my bank to double check I heard the agent correctly when they confirmed the taxes. Could anyone with more experience than me in these matters please tell me if something has gone horribly wrong?

NZ2 LAX-LHR in J / BD6 LHR-GLA in Y+; 33,750 miles and £15.20 taxes

W. T. F. ...???
No fuel surcharge on Air New Zealand flights that do not originate from LHR, so nothing major. Taxes are as follows:

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) US$ 21.50
US International Departure Tax (US) US$ 16.30
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) US$ 2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) US$ 4.50

Looks like they forgot to charge you the UB.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by ikura
No fuel surcharge on Air New Zealand flights that do not originate from LHR, so nothing major. Taxes are as follows:

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) US$ 21.50
US International Departure Tax (US) US$ 16.30
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) US$ 2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) US$ 4.50

Looks like they forgot to charge you the UB.
I'll drop it off on my way through LHR-T1...
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Booked in 15 minutes (after hours checking on ANA)

MAN - FRA LH C
FRA - ORD LH C
ORD - SAT UA Y

2 x 18,750 miles + £105 cash + £305 tax + £4.50 for using a BMI credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.