Wiki Posts
Search

Any benefits in Central America?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Any benefits in Central America?

Diamond Club a good way to safe on flights in Central America, i'm planning to visit some of the places... Is it possible to do a one way ticket when all is in zone 3?

LAX - Mexico City - San José - Panama City for 15.000 miles one way?

Or is it required that it's the same airline? Anyone knows the rules?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by hoteleksperten
Diamond Club a good way to safe on flights in Central America, i'm planning to visit some of the places... Is it possible to do a one way ticket when all is in zone 3?

LAX - Mexico City - San José - Panama City for 15.000 miles one way?

Or is it required that it's the same airline? Anyone knows the rules?
You're only allowed one stopover enroute. And it can be a combination of *A carriers so make sure you check that first.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
If you are buying a one-way to this zone beware of starting your return journey in Mexico - BMI have to charge VAT (Value Added Tax / Sales Tax) of some description, which they kindly do on the full retail value of your ticket, which can be £100s of pounds.

You can do one stopover per flight, as such you could do something such as (purely theoretical) LAX-Mexico City (Stopover)-Panama City (end journey) and on the return do Panama City-LAX(Stopover)-San Hose and see the three cities you mention.

However you can't backtrack with BMI and as San José (at least if its the one in California) is 350miles north of LA this (probably, YMMV depending on the call centre agent) isn't going to work in the original order you suggest - you'd either have to start there and do a stopover in LAX (as its going in the right direction), or buy a final separate ticket for San Jose-LAX, unless you can get a direct flight from say Panama to San Jose easily, and then tag the return part to LA and there isn't an easy flight from Panama to LAX.

So yes its possible to see this many cities on star alliance with your bmi miles. Be aware that as some of these routes may be classed as US domestic you will be charged a lot of money for 'F' (2.5x miles) rather than the business miles you may expect with some other carriers for domestic US F, but for the 15k you suggest I think you're thinking of an economy ticket: Be aware these are frequently poor value with BMI due to the level of fuel surcharges they add but for your route it would probably be reasonable value, just make sure you price up a revenue ticket to do the comparison.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlevoices
However you can't backtrack with BMI and as San José (at least if its the one in California) is 350miles north of LA
I think the OP probably meant SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica) rather than SJC (San Jose, California). However, I am not aware of any *A carrier flying either MEX-SJO or SJO-PTY so I can't quite see how he would achieve what he proposes.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
I think the OP probably meant SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica) rather than SJC (San Jose, California). However, I am not aware of any *A carrier flying either MEX-SJO or SJO-PTY so I can't quite see how he would achieve what he proposes.
Indeed. Remember that Copa are not *A members, even though they have a very close association with CO.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you very much all.

Is there any way to have a stopover in Central America / Caribbean with Star Alliance?

Is it a clear rule of Diamond Club with only one stop over or could the following be possible?: LAX - LAS (5days) - IAH (3days) - ORL?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thank you very much all.

Is there any way to have a stopover in Central America / Caribbean with Star Alliance?

Is it a clear rule of Diamond Club with only one stop over or could the following be possible?: LAX - LAS (5days) - IAH (3days) - ORL?

Many thanks in advance!
Just buy the LAX-LAS ticket - under US$100..and then do your redemption!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rupert_s
Just buy the LAX-LAS ticket - under US$100..and then do your redemption!
Thanks, but was more interested in know if it's possible with 2 stopovers on any route one way?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks, but was more interested in know if it's possible with 2 stopovers on any route one way?
Only one stopover is available per journey, there is no way around this that I know of, sorry. The only way would be
1) buy two one-ways
2) add a "land" segment to your itinerary and then buy a cheap revenue ticket between these two points.

Brian.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
You can do a "transfer" of up to 23hours and 59 minutes, so if just looking for a quick city trip then you can at least get an overnight stay? Realistically BMI is already very generous allowing effectively 2 stopovers in a return journey, anymore would be too excessive
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, UA
No Star Alliance lounge at SJO

Unfortunately there wasn't a lounge at San Jose Airport when I was there this January. In Santiago, Chile if you fly Air Canada they give you access to AA's Admirals Club!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.