Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC Partner: TAM & LAN to merge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
TAM & LAN to merge

That'll be interesting for redemptions?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
So I wonder which alliance will prevail, OW or *A.

It may theoretically be possible to be part of two alliances. Mexicana and Aeromexico were both owned by the Mexican state, yet one was a UA partner and the other a DL partner. (Allegiances have since changed.) They were operated as separate airlines, though.

Perhaps we are in for a Canadian Airlines situation. Bought by AC, CP soon disappeared, leaving OW without a Canadian partner.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Interesting. I didn't realise the two already had a codeshare relationship.

Did TAM change its res systems on joining Star?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...nce-issue.html
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
On would suspect that at some stage this would lead to TAM's exit from *A in favour of OW. I simply cannot see a scenario where LAN would change to *A (and I do think eventually LAN/TAM will want to be in the same alliance).
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
On would suspect that at some stage this would lead to TAM's exit from *A in favour of OW. I simply cannot see a scenario where LAN would change to *A (and I do think eventually LAN/TAM will want to be in the same alliance).
+1 on this. They will go to OW.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:43 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
In any case there will be an almighty cat fight to keep the new LATAM in either OW or *A.

My money is on *A. TAM is the bigger part of the merged entity.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Did TAM change its res systems on joining Star?
Yes, from SABRE to Amadeus
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyergold
In any case there will be an almighty cat fight to keep the new LATAM in either OW or *A.

Completely disagree. Financially, LA is the powerhouse in this tie up.

TAM had also only been in Star for 5 minutes. Consequently my money would be on OW.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:08 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Completely disagree.
Let's wait and see Keep in mind *A has considerable exit penalties, OW does not. For the time being everything is speculation.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Star would be my choice as well although it is only a guess.

To be honest I don't really want this. Having two of the biggest players in S America join forces and being in the one alliance isn't ideal.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Star would be my choice as well although it is only a guess.

To be honest I don't really want this. Having two of the biggest players in S America join forces and being in the one alliance isn't ideal.
As you don't fly particularly often, nor do you necessarily stick to a single nor grouping of carriers, this really is unlikely to affect you.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:58 am

As you don't fly particularly often, nor do you necessarily stick to a single nor grouping of carriers, this really is unlikely to affect you.
I'm not only thinking of myself...for one company to have such a dominant stranglehold over the S America route map is not a good idea. If this were Europe I doubt if it would have been allowed to happen.
I have a foot in each of the alliances door so for me personally to have both moving to the same alliance means 50% of my miles will become devalued to some extent.
As for me not flying much at the moment....very true, commitments have seen to that for the time being. However does one necessarily have to fly very often to have a opinion on the subject?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:15 am
Accor 25+ Badge

However does one necessarily have to fly very often to have a opinion on the subject?
No it doesn't
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:21 am

I'm not only thinking of myself...for one company to have such a dominant stranglehold over the S America route map is not a good idea. If this were Europe I doubt if it would have been allowed to happen.
I have a foot in each of the alliances door so for me personally to have both moving to the same alliance means 50% of my miles will become devalued to some extent.
As for me not flying much at the moment....very true, commitments have seen to that for the time being. However does one necessarily have to fly very often to have a opinion on the subject?
Your obviously completely entitled to an opinion and you express them often on FT.

Whether this marraige even get consummated will be interesting to watch. My original point still stands however. Based on your reputed flying patterns, I very much doubt this will have any impact on you.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:11 am

No it doesn't
Nice to know. ^

Based on your reputed flying patterns, I very much doubt this will have any impact on you.
Well I've got two flights on TAM next month....with hopefully more to come before I kick the bucket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.