Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
I know it's a small thing when I read of others' travel chaos, but if a BMI BABY flight gets cancelled by the airline due to the ash, will we get a refund of seat reservation fees and surfboard fees as well as the fare? Took out insurance through the BMI baby website. Or if we transferred the flights would we be able to transfer these extras we paid for.
If this question is best answered elsewhere mods please feel free to move it. I just thought that this was the most likely forum to have an answer, the BMI baby website does not mention this.
Best of luck to all who are stranded far from home.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:37 am

Is my flight cancel'

Hi I have a booked trip from Perú -Southamerica to London for the 21 of April by Iberia does anybody knows if Iberia cancel those dates, and if yes what should I do ? because I will travel by my own with my babyboy of 11 months, does the airline will change teh tickets? and is gonna be a fee for that change?.
I was thinking in change teh flight anyway because take teh risk and get stuck in Madrid with baby will be hectit!

Please can anybody give an advice.
thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:07 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Well, after speaking to many people who work for the Met Office, I am not confident any flights will be going before Wednesday 21st. So, I've went ahead and changed my flight GLA-LHR-ORD to Friday 23rd. Had a wee argument with DC to get it changed, and after threatening to report them to PTS tomorrow morning for not allowing me to change my ticket for free (despite United issuing a waiver) they reluctantly agreed to change for free.

Good luck to everyone else travelling and getting changes - for free.

And, as if fate may be it, I got the last award seat on that flight (UA949). Thank god.

Last edited by travelwithross; Apr 18, 2010 at 3:14 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by NickB
The odds of it being cancelled are very high and so are the odds of them not confirming it until tomorrow lunchtime. If I were you, I would make a cancellable booking on the train (well, in truth, my expectation of it being cancelled is so high that I would probably buy a non-cancellable one if the price was significantly cheaper, but that is your call, not mine).
Yep, agree with you - I had kept my eye on the train prices and they hadn't increased or sold out on the train I had my eye on over the past few days. However since BA has now cancelled all its flights out of the UK for tomorrow as well I'm assuming that BD will do the same, but booked before the BA passengers take my place with a non-cancellable ticket, worse case I have to change my BD ticket. At least I'll get a chance to try the 'Restaurant' experience on the East Coast. Hopefully they won't run out of food before they get to me tomorrow. I notice all midhauls are cancelled tomorrow as well for BD, except for the only BD services left operating, BEY-KRT and DAM-BEY.

Originally Posted by Ljubis
Hi I have a booked trip from Perú -Southamerica to London for the 21 of April by Iberia does anybody knows if Iberia cancel those dates, and if yes what should I do ? because I will travel by my own with my babyboy of 11 months, does the airline will change teh tickets? and is gonna be a fee for that change?.
I was thinking in change teh flight anyway because take teh risk and get stuck in Madrid with baby will be hectit!

Please can anybody give an advice.
thanks.
Hi Ljubis, welcome to flyertalk - this thread probably isn't a good place to ask your question - this is for British Midland (Star Alliance), not British Airways/Iberia (Oneworld), as such our thoughts aren't going to be very helpful - instead you are better looking at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tive-club-446/

It is unlikely that the airline will provide you with an update before Tuesday 20th April if they are going to cancel your flight. There is a chance that the Peru-Spain flight would operate, but you wouldn't be able to then get to London easily - as you mention, with a small child this may not be a good option and it may be easier to delay your journey. If the flight is cancelled you will (most likely) get an option of a full refund or to be able to change your dates to about a month in advance. However if you don't already have it I'd recommend purchasing some travel insurance prior to the cancellation (not sure how valid it would be since these problems are well advertised though? Even if your flight isn't yet cancelled. It is unlikely the airline would force you to fly to Madrid, if for no other reason than that they can probably resell your ticket to someone else for far more money, and they won't want to have the cost of looking after you in Madrid.

Edit: Right choice made, at 11:30 BD cancelled all their LHR flights until the end of Monday

Last edited by littlevoices; Apr 18, 2010 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I see it's reported that Lufthansa have been sending up test flights :
I believe they were positioning wide-bodies which had been diverted to MUC earlier in the week after FRA closed.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:55 am

Yeh! That's a way to get some tests. Reposition some empty planes and have mechanics waiting at the other end to inspect the engines. That's really only what will give a definite answer.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:30 am

Am I in a hurry to claim a refund on a cancelled award flight? Was supposed to fly Friday, couldn't reach anybody ever since. Flight has been cancelled. Is it alright if I only give them a call in the next week??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: BA, VS
How easy (!!) is it to get through to the ICC at present?

I have LHR-LAX-LAS booked for 21 April, returning LAS-IAH-LHR on 29th. Chances of getting out with NZ on Wednesday are looking slim.

Is there any point in me contacting pre-travel support rather than ICC. I will want to rebook the outward flights and cancel the return, unless they can find a redemption option that I cannot find on ANA. I will contact them on Tuesday unless Wednesday flights are cancelled before then.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It's going to be interesting to see what the fall out is from all of this (sorry awful pun I know). Financially how much longer can some of the airlines hang on if they're not flying?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I have two one-way redemtions booked out for Thursday and back on Monday. It looks increasingly likely that Thursday's booking won't operate; however, there's a good chance that Monday's return segments will.

Any views on whether I will be stung for a cancellation fee for the returning itinerary if I have to cancel it myself?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: BD*G
Originally Posted by Valueseeker
How easy (!!) is it to get through to the ICC at present?

2 flights I have had to cancel now because of this. Calling the Gold Card number, my call was answered within a few minutes the first time and without queueing at all the second time... Dont know about the general number...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Well, now we know what Lufthansa did with all the left over bmi toasties..they won't try burying them underground again in a hurry
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Any views on whether I will be stung for a cancellation fee for the returning itinerary if I have to cancel it myself?
I'd charge you just for the cheekiness of cashing out all your DC miles when you thought it was closing before everyone else

(aka I don't think the ICC is going to be that generous, but a supervisor might if you tell them the details of the outbound and cancel the two flights on exactly the same call?)
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
It's going to be interesting to see what the fall out is from all of this (sorry awful pun I know). Financially how much longer can some of the airlines hang on if they're not flying?
It's not just the airlines, it's the other parts of the system too, like the ANSP's!
I'm not sure many people realise this, but ATC providers get paid by the airlines for each flight, it's not some blanket payment.

A couple of days of no flights is managable, four days is worrying, the prospect of this now dragging into the week I find alarming.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Think of all the shopping income BAA are missing out on

In all seriousness, a lot of ancilliary businesses must be desperate for any sort of end to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.