Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Old Apr 14, 10, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold

Hi,

Just found out my flight to ABZ has been cancelled (so are the next 2 or 3 from my departure point), due to ash in the air from a volcano eruption in Iceland.

"Manage My Booking" still shows me as confirmed, though the flight status page shows flights as cancelled. I called the reservations call centre to cancel my booking (my trip is pointless if I leave tomorrow) but they said call back at 8am, because they don't know what the process is for cancelling and refunding a ticket in this circumstance, and a different department deals with that.

Has anyone been through a similar process, where your flight has been cancelled by the airline and you need to can the whole booking? What's the refund process like? I'm nervous because I've had some bad experiences booking with the call centre, and I really don't want to be out the price of my ticket. It was relatively pricey for an E fare.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 10, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Ah...the website finally has some information.

hooray

https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/fli...-news.aspx#249
Old Apr 14, 10, 11:51 pm

Programs: not a lot
Yawn!!!!!

I'm tired and back home after driving to EDI this morning.
Old Apr 15, 10, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, BA Gold, Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Hopefully it doesn't last until tomorrow too - don't really feel like a 5 hour journey to London by train from Edinburgh. Am pondering that option though now.
Old Apr 15, 10, 12:50 am

Programs: not a lot
good story about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airports.html

Excellent piece of journalism I must say
Old Apr 15, 10, 1:20 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
That does look like a good piece of journalism!

Where is the source for the comment "Forecasters believe the ash could take a number of days to disperse" ?

[COI - I'm due to go on holiday to Japan on Sunday..... ]!

Originally Posted by LiviLion View Post
good story about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airports.html

Excellent piece of journalism I must say
Old Apr 15, 10, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Met Office, although they were not able to elaborate.

If you hit refresh in, say 10 mins, you'll see a secondary page with Met Office maps etc

Actually, it is here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-forecast.html

Can anyone clarify, is 1800z actually 6pm BST? I wasn't sure if local time "zulu" was GMT or BST?? Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:03 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
IIRC zulu time is actually the same as UTC (universal time co-ordinate). It is effectively the same as GMT to all intents and purposes.

Good article by the way
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Thank you.

What a relief - an actual correct fact in a newspaper
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, BA Gold, Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
With Heathrow being closed completely from lunchtime (According to the BBC) this is going to get a whole lot worse.

Hope nobody had any z2 onward redemptions planned this week!
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
Its too much of a coincidence that the on day the domestic lounge is due to re-open no flights are operating. The lounge is surely not ready
Old Apr 15, 10, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Diamond; SPG/Marriott Gold; Carlson Gold; Accor Gold
www.heathrowairport.com now says:

Urgent passenger information

Heathrow Airport remains closed for the remainder of the day
Last updated: 13:00, 15 April 2010

All flights in and out of Heathrow Airport today have been cancelled as a result of the volcanic ash cloud which is affecting UK airspace.

We strongly advise passengers who were travelling today not to travel to the airport and to contact their airline directly for further information.

A decision will be taken later today regarding the first wave of flights due to operate tomorrow morning. We will continue to update our site with the latest available information.
Old Apr 15, 10, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
Originally Posted by sgt_harris View Post
Hi,

Just found out my flight to ABZ has been cancelled (so are the next 2 or 3 from my departure point), due to ash in the air from a volcano eruption in Iceland.

"Manage My Booking" still shows me as confirmed, though the flight status page shows flights as cancelled. I called the reservations call centre to cancel my booking (my trip is pointless if I leave tomorrow) but they said call back at 8am, because they don't know what the process is for cancelling and refunding a ticket in this circumstance, and a different department deals with that.

Has anyone been through a similar process, where your flight has been cancelled by the airline and you need to can the whole booking? What's the refund process like? I'm nervous because I've had some bad experiences booking with the call centre, and I really don't want to be out the price of my ticket. It was relatively pricey for an E fare.

Thanks
I just phoned the silver member helpline, got through straight away and my refund was done within 30 seconds
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:07 am

Early tomorrow doesn't look good for LHR either. Fourth chart on this link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271331761.png
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedMark View Post
I just phoned the silver member helpline, got through straight away and my refund was done within 30 seconds
Got through surprisingly fast (general reservations line) when I called later this morning. Was given a full refund - they said it will take 7-10 days to appear. Phew!

Search this Thread