Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Reply

Old Apr 14, 10, 10:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: BD*G, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 74
Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Hi,

Just found out my flight to ABZ has been cancelled (so are the next 2 or 3 from my departure point), due to ash in the air from a volcano eruption in Iceland.

"Manage My Booking" still shows me as confirmed, though the flight status page shows flights as cancelled. I called the reservations call centre to cancel my booking (my trip is pointless if I leave tomorrow) but they said call back at 8am, because they don't know what the process is for cancelling and refunding a ticket in this circumstance, and a different department deals with that.

Has anyone been through a similar process, where your flight has been cancelled by the airline and you need to can the whole booking? What's the refund process like? I'm nervous because I've had some bad experiences booking with the call centre, and I really don't want to be out the price of my ticket. It was relatively pricey for an E fare.

Thanks
sgt_harris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 10, 10:57 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: BD*G, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 74
Ah...the website finally has some information.

hooray


https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/fli...-news.aspx#249
sgt_harris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 10, 11:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: not a lot
Posts: 1,774
Yawn!!!!!

I'm tired and back home after driving to EDI this morning.
LiviLion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 12:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HKG
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, BA Gold, Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Posts: 2,377
Hopefully it doesn't last until tomorrow too - don't really feel like a 5 hour journey to London by train from Edinburgh. Am pondering that option though now.
littlevoices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 12:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: not a lot
Posts: 1,774
good story about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airports.html

Excellent piece of journalism I must say
LiviLion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 1:20 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: # Neodymium #
Posts: 967
That does look like a good piece of journalism!

Where is the source for the comment "Forecasters believe the ash could take a number of days to disperse" ?

[COI - I'm due to go on holiday to Japan on Sunday..... ]!


Originally Posted by LiviLion View Post
good story about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-airports.html

Excellent piece of journalism I must say
McCoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 1:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London and Edinburgh
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Posts: 7,378
Met Office, although they were not able to elaborate.

If you hit refresh in, say 10 mins, you'll see a secondary page with Met Office maps etc

Actually, it is here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-forecast.html

Can anyone clarify, is 1800z actually 6pm BST? I wasn't sure if local time "zulu" was GMT or BST?? Thanks.
ajamieson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from EMA
Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Posts: 5,172
IIRC zulu time is actually the same as UTC (universal time co-ordinate). It is effectively the same as GMT to all intents and purposes.

Good article by the way
Tiger_lily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London and Edinburgh
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Posts: 7,378
Thank you.

What a relief - an actual correct fact in a newspaper
ajamieson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HKG
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, BA Gold, Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Posts: 2,377
With Heathrow being closed completely from lunchtime (According to the BBC) this is going to get a whole lot worse.

Hope nobody had any z2 onward redemptions planned this week!
littlevoices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
Posts: 305
Its too much of a coincidence that the on day the domestic lounge is due to re-open no flights are operating. The lounge is surely not ready
RedMark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 6:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London UK
Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Diamond; SPG/Marriott Gold; Carlson Gold; Accor Gold
Posts: 321
www.heathrowairport.com now says:

Urgent passenger information

Heathrow Airport remains closed for the remainder of the day
Last updated: 13:00, 15 April 2010

All flights in and out of Heathrow Airport today have been cancelled as a result of the volcanic ash cloud which is affecting UK airspace.

We strongly advise passengers who were travelling today not to travel to the airport and to contact their airline directly for further information.

A decision will be taken later today regarding the first wave of flights due to operate tomorrow morning. We will continue to update our site with the latest available information.
paulieuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 6:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by sgt_harris View Post
Hi,

Just found out my flight to ABZ has been cancelled (so are the next 2 or 3 from my departure point), due to ash in the air from a volcano eruption in Iceland.

"Manage My Booking" still shows me as confirmed, though the flight status page shows flights as cancelled. I called the reservations call centre to cancel my booking (my trip is pointless if I leave tomorrow) but they said call back at 8am, because they don't know what the process is for cancelling and refunding a ticket in this circumstance, and a different department deals with that.

Has anyone been through a similar process, where your flight has been cancelled by the airline and you need to can the whole booking? What's the refund process like? I'm nervous because I've had some bad experiences booking with the call centre, and I really don't want to be out the price of my ticket. It was relatively pricey for an E fare.

Thanks
I just phoned the silver member helpline, got through straight away and my refund was done within 30 seconds
RedMark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:07 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London and Edinburgh
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Posts: 7,378
Early tomorrow doesn't look good for LHR either. Fourth chart on this link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271331761.png
ajamieson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:11 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: BD*G, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by RedMark View Post
I just phoned the silver member helpline, got through straight away and my refund was done within 30 seconds
Got through surprisingly fast (general reservations line) when I called later this morning. Was given a full refund - they said it will take 7-10 days to appear. Phew!
sgt_harris is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread