Search

Can I borrow your brush?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Can I borrow your brush?

Belfast City Airport use brush to de-ice plane

Facilities at George Best Belfast City Airport have been described as "third world" after staff had to use brooms to clear ice from a plane.

One of the passengers on a BMI flight from the airport to London on Sunday, was the former head of the Assets Recovery Agency, Alan McQuillan.

Mr McQuillan said passengers were told one of the airport's de-icing machines was empty, while another was broken.

The airport said the manual removal of ice was a recognised practice.

"Ground staff working with flight crew must ensure departing aircraft are free of snow and ice," an airport spokesperson said.

"Whilst the manual removal of snow and ice may look antiquated to those not familiar with aircraft operations, it is recognised practice, carried out to ensure the safety of passengers."

However, Mr McQuillan, who said his flight was delayed by more than an hour, described the airport's de-icing facilities as "third world".

"The pilot announced that he and the first officer were going to go out on to the wings and try and brush the ice and snow off with brooms to see if they could get enough ice off that way to allow them to take off," he said.

"We thought at first they were joking, but the next thing was two cherry pickers appeared and the pilot and some of the ground staff were out with brooms knocking the ice off the aircraft."
Brushes? Should have sent the co-pilot next door to B&Q to buy a couple of cans of antifreeze....or used their credit cards to scrape the ice off like the rest of us.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
When I was driving into BHD last Sunday afternoon the fabled de-icing machine was on the back of a low loader being returned to the airport.

They have had a lot of trouble with that service (or lack of it) this year.

I suspect Alan was on the later flight than mine, as I got away ok!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
At LAS, we closed the airport for 1" of snow last year. Apparently, the airport did not have a single snow plow.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The other week, our ski instructor friend said that South Lake Tahoe had been warmer than Florida. Apparently MCO had been closed due to lack of deicing equipment. Maybe they should have nipped out to Home Depot for some brushes and a couple of snow blowers as well
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Bosses at the George Best Belfast City Airport have apologised after problems with its de-icing machines over the weekend.

*We have three modern de-icing rigs and I think that our record stacks up - but if you're one of those unfortunate passengers that were on the delayed flight at the weekend, that's little compensation."

Mr Ambrose added: "With winter travel inevitably there will be delays and if you're unfortunate to be on one of those flights, I understand the frustration and I apologise
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
At LAS, we closed the airport for 1" of snow last year. Apparently, the airport did not have a single snow plow.
At BHX we closed the airport for 1" of snow last week. The airport has several snow ploughs but it was the second time the airport has closed this month! Perhaps it was the wrong kind of snow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.