Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Got mine today , love it. The most sylish membership pack I have seen from BMI. Love the card and tags and even the wallet they came in with the IATA codes on them. ^
I agree!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
He already has in the relevant thread.
I don't see that in the future of BMI thread, though. Could you please lead me to the information?

Back to the elite kit, I received it and I am glad about it. My menmbership year, though, expires Jan 22, so I am a little surprised to receive a new one this early. They'll have to send me another one in less than 2 months, and I could have lived with an "old" gold card for this length of time.

I like the overall design of the kit, of the card, but the old swooshed luggage tags will stay on my luggage, I prefer them to the black ones. I like there is still a kit. It's childish, but I find it superior to receiving the card by regular mail. It could make me prefer BMI over the competition if BMI flew where I live and wasn't significally more expensive. If many people feels like me, maybe it's not a stupid investment to hand out kits. Financial woes don't tend to confirm there are many of us, though.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Richelieu
If many people feels like me, maybe it's not a stupid investment to hand out kits. Financial woes don't tend to confirm there are many of us, though.
You've got to spend money to make money!

Sadly no kit for me yet, either its my local postman feeling like being a BD*G, or more likely my February renewal date! I think the kit looks nice though from the pictures.
On the offtopic discussions - I'm very much with GoldCircle and not worrying about what is going to happen to bmi/Dimaond Club and instead concentrating on enjoying flying with them for a while longer yet until something happens - back to the membership card.... Black is clearly the new platinum!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Go one, admit it everyone - deep in your psyche, you just want Lufthansa to give you a good paddling, dontcha?!!
Nah, I'm still waiting for my Blue+ card after MegaDo miles have posted.

Originally Posted by seanyjmuc
... I certainly didn't understand the plethora of postcards, each one explaining a perk of the Gold membership. Seems an inordinate waste of money and printing to me, as such they went straight into the recycling bin.
You should have kept those postcards. They may become collector's items in a few years. I received a new SEN card last week with a letter thanking me for my loyalty and nothing else! M&M perks are "enhanced" so often they don't want to put anything in print.

I don't see that in the future of BMI thread, though. Could you please lead me to the information?
Try post #1104.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Could you clarify what you mean my "near to medium term"? It can have very different meaning in FT lingo and in investment lingo.
Here.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Even though my current round of Gold Expires in January, I have been deemed important enough to have a new Gold Members pack appear in the post.

I'll have a wander through it later
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Lounge and the 103

Well, I presented my new style gold card today at the lounge and they did not utter a word, so no problems there

Different story on the 103 to AMS, trolley came down, proferred the card and was told "Sorry Sir, we need a BMI Card, not the one you have given me". I replied, it is a BMI gold card, turn it over. The young lady did and said, but I need a Blue plus, or a silver or a gold. I said why do you think the writing is in Gold?

She then said, I wish someone had told us these were changing as I have not seen one of these before and it is not readable on the machine and won't swipe and is not recognised by the machine. Once again, we are the last to know things are changing.

When she got to my colleague a couple of rows down, the two ladies were still discussing this new style of card and how they did not know it was coming.

Still, I got my kitkat and coffee.

Looks like a lack of joined up thinking for some of the aircrew in terms of communication.

Regards

20-Horse
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
ROFLMAO! Fantastic!

That's our bmi!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
At least they didn't think you were a fraud with a badly imitated BMI Gold card. But lack of information is indeed sad, and if the crew will quickly get used to them, we might suffer increased lack of recognition at airport lounges. Not that I mind this much, since usually they can check the status on the computer, but it's not fun to have to appear to be begging for access.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:34 am
ICA

Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I know....

One's black card holder is looking extremely dull these days, what with my BA Premier, my HON Circle, my Amex and now bmi too. How terribly boring!
Then shall we use a white card holder?
Must be much trendy ^
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Well, I presented my new style gold card today at the lounge and they did not utter a word, so no problems there

Different story on the 103 to AMS, trolley came down, proferred the card and was told "Sorry Sir, we need a BMI Card, not the one you have given me". I replied, it is a BMI gold card, turn it over. The young lady did and said, but I need a Blue plus, or a silver or a gold. I said why do you think the writing is in Gold?

She then said, I wish someone had told us these were changing as I have not seen one of these before and it is not readable on the machine and won't swipe and is not recognised by the machine. Once again, we are the last to know things are changing.

When she got to my colleague a couple of rows down, the two ladies were still discussing this new style of card and how they did not know it was coming.

Still, I got my kitkat and coffee.

Looks like a lack of joined up thinking for some of the aircrew in terms of communication.

Regards

20-Horse

I think my new card may have been the first one the crew had seen this morning as well. Clearly they were expecting a new design so they passed it between them with an "ooo, that's posh!" No probs with acceptance and it swiped fine through the machine
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Ok, so how long before someone reports getting turned down from a lounge due to this new card design? The lounge matrons in far away places tend not to have heard of bmi so consult their book with photos of all the cards. If the books haven't been updated I can see trouble ahead. Especially as they will be wondering which bloody airline this "diamond Club" thing belongs to. I wonder if bmi is going to sell off Diamond Club and have it as a stand alone rewards program like Aeroplan, hence the branding moving away from bmi?

Anyway my new card arrived around 3 weeks ago in the old style (complete with 4 nice new GUVs (!) and Europcar upgrade vouchers) so I guess that makes me due to the new design very soon. At least I'll have an old design card valid till the end of 2010 as back up.

I think the rather blatant STARGOLD logo might be a give away to most lounge receptionists.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Saracenn
The “Welcome a Friend” postcard inside suggests the same design will be rolled out to Silvers, so it's not that exclusive…
Sounds like the ICH Ambassador rebranding. Black card for Royal Ambassadors, same design but gray for regular Ambassadors except for smallish RA word in the corner. Luggage tags for RAs is a matt silver, for Ambassadors it's reflective. Very subtle so few have noticed the difference.

As noted, most programs now seem to have their top tier cards in black, gold for the next tier down, and silver for the first tier. Guess in BD's case it will be black and silver. Basic cards tend not to follow this graphic consistency though. It will be interesting to see what the new versions of Silver and Blue+ will look like and when they'll be mailed out.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Different story on the 103 to AMS, trolley came down, proferred the card and was told "Sorry Sir, we need a BMI Card, not the one you have given me".
I had exactly the same experience; card refused twice yesterday by different crews. On the first flight, I ended up handing over my old gold card. "Yes, that's the one you should be using," she said.

Typical bmi. No problem in the lounge, though...but there was much amusement about an airline card that doesn't had the airline name on the front. "It think is shows we won't be around much longer," was the resigned comment.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
and they should always send us two so we can keep one for best.
heh heh They did! Three days after getting the fancy black packet that everyone here has been talking about, today Mrs999 and I each got another one, with identical contents. The only difference is a slight variation in the identifier code (not the postal code) on the mailing label of the packet.

cheers,

Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.