Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Diamond Club FAQ - Everything the Newbie couldn't posssibly know yet (v.4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2010 Diamond Club FAQ - Everything the Newbie couldn't posssibly know yet (v.4)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
The text was originally written before APD existed (several version of the FAQ ago) and APD is for people originating in the UK, and I'm not one of those, so I cannot tell you.

My hunch is yes. Anyone?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Yes.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I guess the way to think of this is not an upgrade, but actually, a 33% mileage discount on Business Class.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Fra-nce-bru-edi-fra ?

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Understanding bmi Diamond Club - Using Your Miles

So for example, the charge for a one-way business class trip LHR-ZRH-FCO is
Miles only : 19,500 x 0.5 x 1.5 = 14,625
Miles + cash : (10,000 + £100) x 0.5 x 1.5 = 7,500 + £75

If your trip involves 2 connecting flights, example LHR-OSL-TOS-LYR-TOS-OSL-LHR, then you are charged 2 lots of 7,500.
Please advise how many miles+cash in total for the following itinerary:

FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI-FRA

NCE=Layover within 24hrs
BRU=Transfer point
EDI=Return point

Will be 9000+GBP30 and 3375+GBP30 for two oneway tickets? (FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI + EDI-FRA)
Any better suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
Please advise how many miles+cash in total for the following itinerary:

FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI-FRA

NCE=Layover within 24hrs
BRU=Transfer point
EDI=Return point

Will be 9000+GBP30 and 3375+GBP30 for two oneway tickets? (FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI + EDI-FRA)
Any better suggestions?

Thanks!
I don't think we've ever had anyone post any datapoints relating to such an odd-shaped intra-Europe route as FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI.

If (and it is an if) they premitted this route, the Miles + Cash charge *should* (if my maths is correct) be :

Z1 to Z1 = (4,500 + £40) + (4,000 + £30) + (4,000 + £30) = 12,500 + £100 for a Y return, so 6,250 + £50 for a Y one-way

And 2,250 + £20 for the EDI-FRA Y one-way.

Multiply everything by 1.5 for Business
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I don't think we've ever had anyone post any datapoints relating to such an odd-shaped intra-Europe route as FRA-NCE-BRU-EDI.
I would think that is because the taxes would be so obscene that a revenue ticket might not be a whole lot more...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:08 am
Original Poster

I would think that is because the taxes would be so obscene that a revenue ticket might not be a whole lot more...
I did DUB-FRA-MUC and back again last year and the revenue fare in LH T was cheaper than the BD inspired taxes on the same flights. And I got the princely sum of 500 whole miles on M&M.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by soy
Today you are silver with 7k status miles.
+ 31k more and you will be Gold with 38k status miles.
+17k more and you will have 55k status miles. All miles after this attract the bonus.
Originally Posted by littlevoices
When you reach gold after the 31k your status miles will be reset to 0, so you will need another 55k (38k to re-qualify for gold and then 17k to reach 55k)

So you will need the 86k status miles, as I mentioned , quite a lot of flying ahead of you!
Originally Posted by soy
forgot about the reset at first time gold....doh
Originally Posted by CAlex
Thanks, much appreciated. Can I suggest to specify this clearly in the FAQ above?
Done.
I am relatively new to BD but have a good head on my shoulders regarding how FF programs work. Still, I find things still unclear on this after reading through this thread -- and BD's calendar resets are a bit confusing.

In particular, I'm confused on how and on what calendar schedule you requalify for gold when you've hit 55000 Status miles and your status miles start getting counted as destination miles instead?

If I start as silver, and in year 1 I qualify for Gold at 38K and fly the extra 17K miles to hit 55K miles. How long is my Gold good for, and on what schedule am I supposed to be requalifying for gold?

I can provide a detailed timeline/example if needed.
Thanks for any help
-AWP
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by awpeters
If I start as silver, and in year 1 I qualify for Gold at 38K and fly the extra 17K miles to hit 55K miles. How long is my Gold good for, and on what schedule am I supposed to be requalifying for gold?
Starting as Silver, you have to earn 38k status miles within 1 year to become gold for the first time.

At the point in time you get to 38k, you are promoted to gold, your status miles are reset to 0 and your membership year calendar is reset to this point in time. You then start again as a gold, so you need to earn another 55k within your new membership year before starting to earn the 55k rollover bonus.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Starting as Silver, you have to earn 38k status miles within 1 year to become gold for the first time.

At the point in time you get to 38k, you are promoted to gold, your status miles are reset to 0 and your membership year calendar is reset to this point in time. You then start again as a gold, so you need to earn another 55k within your new membership year before starting to earn the 55k rollover bonus.
I see that, but disregarding the 55K rollover bonus, how does re-qualifying work?

Starting at Silver, you earn 38K miles within one year to get gold. At that point, you are promoted to gold and your status miles are reset to 0 and your membership calendar is reset. You presumably get gold for 1 year.

Is your membership year now locked? That is, once you hit gold, there are no more resets to your membership year. During that 1 year, you need to get 38K status miles to re qualify. If you do this, does your membership year get extended 1 year, or does your membership year reset again?

If you don't get 38K, you drop down to silver at the end of that first year of gold. Your membership year remains the same, yes? Is there any rollover of status miles, or do they reset to zero at the end of your membership year?

If you drop down to silver, but then requalify for Gold, your membership year does reset?

If these things are true, it strikes me that someone who is silver and with 2 months left in their membership year, but with plans to fly 54K status miles spread out equally over the next 4 months, is perhaps better off opening a new account and starting from scratch -- otherwise they would not make gold!

If this is true, this loophole exists entirely because BD membership year is based on joining/making status, vs. being based on calendar year like many other programs.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by awpeters
Is your membership year now locked? That is, once you hit gold, there are no more resets to your membership year. During that 1 year, you need to get 38K status miles to re qualify. If you do this, does your membership year get extended 1 year, or does your membership year reset again?

If you don't get 38K, you drop down to silver at the end of that first year of gold. Your membership year remains the same, yes? Is there any rollover of status miles, or do they reset to zero at the end of your membership year?

If you drop down to silver, but then requalify for Gold, your membership year does reset?
Yes, when you become gold for the first time, that date then becomes your 'membership year renewal' date and everything works annually after that.
So you need to earn 38k in the following 12 months to requalify for gold again.

If you get to over 55k within your membership year, you get the rollover bonus until the end of your membership year, then (as you've requalified for gold) your status miles go back to 0 and you have to get up to 55k again in your next gold membership year before you qualify for rollover again.

If you don't earn the 38k, you drop to silver at the end of the 12 months, then have the next 12 months to shoot for 38k to get back to gold.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:54 am

D) Understanding bmi Diamond Club - Using Your Miles

Index of FAQ No.1

A) The most frequently over-asked questions
B) Understanding bmi Diamond Club - the Programme Basics
C) Understanding bmi Diamond Club - the Bonuses
D) Understanding bmi Diamond Club - Using Your Miles
E) Future developments

This is version 4 of the FAQ No.1, valid from Nov. 2009
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:57 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I hope this is a good place for a newbie question

If I am booking an award ticket for someone else using my miles, is there any way that taxes can be paid with their card?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jms_uk
I hope this is a good place for a newbie question

If I am booking an award ticket for someone else using my miles, is there any way that taxes can be paid with their card?
Anyone?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Anyone?
...i am interested in the other way around. Can a reward from my sisters account be booked using my credit card(for me or even someone else)??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.