Wiki Posts
Search

why Best Western not talked about as much

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

why Best Western not talked about as much

as like Marriott?

both of them have over 4000 properties. for sure best western credit is not as good as Marrriot's.

it's also because Best Western has not as much brand as Marrriott?

or Best Western loyalty program not as good as Marriott?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Look at how little Choice properties are talked about and they also have a ton of hotels. However, BWs are usually lower to mid-tier properties that don't really appeal to the FT demographic. There aren't amazing aspirational properties to redeem points at. Furthermore, a lot of FT travel is business travel, if you were traveling for business, would you rather be at at BW or a Marriott?

Oh and being an elite with BW is also pretty worthless.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
+1

While I'm sure there are many business travellers who regularly stay at low-end / mid-tier properties, FT generally attracts travellers who stay at upper mid-level to high-end properties. And if they stay at lower end properties they prefer chains with a decent loyalty program.

Since BW doesn't have (m)any exciting properties and has one of the mos tmoedicre loalty programs in the industry, it should be no surprise not many people discuss BW.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CMK10
+1 BW is the only hotel chain I know that charges their diamonds for internet access
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
+1 BW is the only hotel chain I know that charges their diamonds for internet access
well, that is kind of stupid. as a frequent traveler, actually i am thinking to
stay in best western more because Marriott does not have property in many places I visit, while best western have.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryy
as like Marriott?
But Marriott has about a dozen brands, while Best Western has 1 to 3, depending on how you count them (many people count them as just 1). There's a lot of differences between those various brands, and lot of the discussion is about those differences.

Marriott has status levels that people care about, and discuss a lot. BW has status levels that mean close to nothing, so it doesn't much constant discussion.

Because Marriott has an active lifetime status program, so people discuss that. BW doesn't seem to (it had it only as a promotion once, I think). Anyway, since the status itself means fairly little at BW, a lifetime version of the same status means a lifetime of fairly little.

But basically, compared to the so-called "majors", there's fairly little discussion of any of the budget hotel programs: Best Western or Choice or WynhdamRewards. (And you should be happy that the Best Western forum doesn't have the threads that the WyndhamRewards forum has! )
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Since when does BW charge anyone for internet? It's free at the ones I've been to.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

why Best western not make its program more attractive?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryy
why Best western not make its program more attractive?
A. Because it's already attractive enough to most people, compared to their competition (which is other programs in the "budget" space like Choice, WyndhamRewards, etc). Best Western does not consider the "higher end" programs like Hilton HHonors, IHG Club, Marriott Rewards, SPG, etc to be their competition!

B. Because how it works is presumably working reasonably well for them? (I don't see most of their hotels going empty, nor do I see their rates going down!)

C. Because they prefer to make changes incrementally rather than drastic overhaul. In case you're new, you may not be aware they have made little improvements to make the program more attractive than it was, say, a few years ago. A few years ago they didn't have the brand divided into three tiers (BW basic, BW Plus, and BW Premier). A few years ago they didn't have the welcome amenity for those with elite status. Not the biggest changes, but they came one at a time, and they each made the program slightly more attractive than it was before. Perhaps they've got some more things on the horizon, but I presume they'll be small and one at a time, if there are any more.

D.. Because at Best Western every hotel is "independently owned and operated" (even though the "higher end" programs may not own most of their hotels, most of their hotels are owned and/or operated by multi-hotel management groups). Thus it's more work for the program to communicate to all its member hotels than at other programs (where own owner may handle many hotels within the program).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:17 am

Can you name at least ONE BW hotel that charges for internet?
I have never seen/heard one. Neither in US/Canada nor in Europe.

I am just curious.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by pirossalma
Can you name at least ONE BW hotel that charges for internet?
I have never seen/heard one. Neither in US/Canada nor in Europe.

I am just curious.
Not sure if this is still the case, but the best western presidential in NYC Times Square use to charge for internet. IIRC, the primrose in Toronto did as well. It's been a while since I have stayed at a BW, so if I am remembering wrong, feel free to correct me and I apologize in advance
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
I'm a fan of Best Western. Especially since their points never expire. It's probably because they do not have too many luxurious properties.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
maybe service standards. I recently got a status match as a BW Diamond. I stayed at the Best Western Premier @ Kuala Lumpur.

1. I was not greeted as a Diamond Member
2. I was not give any diamond amenities (welcome drink or voucher or whatsoever)
3. I booked a 2 bedroom suite and was given a 1 bedroom suite, was left waiting in the room after calling the front office (they promised they will settle) I made my way to the lobby and the front office staff only started processing my queries. No apologies nothing and a new set of key card was given. as there were 4 of us, i requested for 4 cards, but only given 3.
4. Breakfast spread was disappointing, only 1 dish with chicken. Rest were carbohydrates and processed meat.
5. Concierge was non-existence.
6. (Maybe im unreasonable here) I had to pay for parking at the hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
BW are convenient since you can find them in remote areas, but the diamond status is a joke. I am rarely offered any check-in amenity and never an upgrade. I had a reservation at the San Simeon BW using a paid night in an oceanview and the next night using an award. They insisted on moving us the second day into a parking lot view room claiming they never upgraded even if you're diamond. The service is inconsistent, some are better than others but they are typically 2 star motels.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by wilma
BW are convenient since you can find them in remote areas, but the diamond status is a joke. I am rarely offered any check-in amenity and never an upgrade. I had a reservation at the San Simeon BW using a paid night in an oceanview and the next night using an award. They insisted on moving us the second day into a parking lot view room claiming they never upgraded even if you're diamond. The service is inconsistent, some are better than others but they are typically 2 star motels.
Their status is a joke. The only added benefit I can think of as a diamond over a blue is more points, and I go for airline miles instead so don't even enjoy that perk. The real hotel chains give their diamonds upgrades (if available) and breakfast, guaranteed rooms in a sold out hotel and most give a late check out.

At least BW diamond is easy to achieve. I just email or fax my Hilton or Hyatt diamond card over every year and get status matched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.