Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
This has been discussed regularly here. Are you part of the Avis Preferred service? If so, they sent you an email when this change went into effect ~2 years ago.

The reason they did this is because in most cars, if the tank is totally full, you can drive 30-60 miles & still have the gauge show 8/8, screwing the next person who thinks the tank is really full.
For the guy that usually drives 500-1000 miles per rental, I'm the one that sometimes gets screwed by the policy. 8/10 rentals the past 2 years have not had the tank topped off by Avis and I'm sure they charged those showing a reciept. I've gone as far as getting a call from the GEG station manager requesting gas fill logs on back to back rentals out of that station where that has happened. I know it because I track my mileage on fill-ups. 8/10 times my mileage goes up substantially on the second tank, because it's missing 2 gallons when returned. I get the fuel back by knowing when the gauge moves. Usually it's 30-50 miles on the full-size cars.
Old May 22, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by crhptic
Even if they don't top it off, if the next renter complains that they didn't get a full tank of gas, Avis may give them a credit or other compensation to make up for it, so it still might be costing Avis not to have the car completely full.
Compensation, from AVIS, ROFLMAO. Good luck even getting anywhere beyond having someone document your problem.

I've gone as far as getting documentation for fill-ups. Avis station managers lie through their teeth. Good luck on that one.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I often rent less than 75 miles, and take advantage of the convenience of the program and not fill up.

However, MOB being independant, does not participate in the program, and it cost be about $20.00 for 60 miles of driving. I learned the expensive way.

But last winter I had a car (caddi CTS) for 5 days in SYR and used 3/4 of a tank driving 72 miles and was charges only $10.50. I used the remote start 3 times a day to warm up the car. So in 10 years of renting every day I have 'beaten' Avis at lease once on their rules.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:42 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
But last winter I had a car (caddi CTS) for 5 days in SYR and used 3/4 of a tank driving 72 miles and was charges only $10.50. I used the remote start 3 times a day to warm up the car. So in 10 years of renting every day I have 'beaten' Avis at lease once on their rules.
OMG! That's an awesome story! I thought it was bad when we chugged through a full tank of gas in ~150 miles in a Camaro last week.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I never pay this fee but I also make sure the tank is full. I expect a partially drained tank at every pickup which is why I look at overall cost (total rental plus gas I pay for, even if it includes an extra $5 from previously underfilled tank) as to whether I have a good deal.

If I get a cheap rate, I am less likely to be worried about a few bucks here or there that the last driver failed to fill up.

One way or the other the rental company will make money from us (as they should). Look at the bigger picture.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I rented a car in LAS and drove to my hotel and back (max 10 miles). Only reason I did this was I had 3 X $10 coupons that were expiring. The rental cost me around $10 after coupons which I figured would be a lot less than 2 cab rides (plus I earned 500 Aeroplan miles ). I put less than $2 of gas in the car, but I got a receipt, and they did ask to see it. So it all worked out.

OP, if you paid for the gas using your credit card (and who doesn't especially here on FT!), just send in your credit card statement, and I'm sure you'll get a refund.

Also, it does cost Avis when the car is not full. This has happened to me quite a few times, and they usually end up giving me a $20 credit on the rental.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Deceiptive Practice at San Diego Airport

When I returned the car at SAN, the agent never asked me for receipt and went ahead to charge me for the fee. I also noticed the rate I initially booked was changed. I went to the counter and asked the agent to remove the fuel fee and adjust the rate.
According to the agent (Angela), "someone" changed my rate and it is the customer's duty to present the receipt when returning the vehicle for avoid being charged. For me, this is just totally deceiptive.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by flyinglan
When I returned the car at SAN, the agent never asked me for receipt and went ahead to charge me for the fee. I also noticed the rate I initially booked was changed. I went to the counter and asked the agent to remove the fuel fee and adjust the rate.
According to the agent (Angela), "someone" changed my rate and it is the customer's duty to present the receipt when returning the vehicle for avoid being charged. For me, this is just totally deceiptive.
The receipt thing has been discussed before. In my opinion, it's posted in every airport that I've been to, so if I drive <75 miles, I feel it's my job to show the receipt.

However, the rate changing is crap! They can trace when/where it was changed and I'd ask them to look into who this 'someone' is. I once got to CLE & they said my reservation was canceled and they didn't have any cars left. Basically, they wouldn't do anything for me. I called the 800# and had them look: It was the CLE station that canceled my reservation several hours before! I went to hand over the phone to the agent, but she ran to get the manager. Somehow, they had a CTS ready for me within a few seconds! Upon questioning the manager, he couldn't say why the reservation was canceled, but apologized. Makes one wonder....
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:28 pm

I was in LAS two weeks ago, I picked up at the Preferred desk whereas I had a few friends wait in the long line for their rental.

All of us received stickers (post-its) on our rental receipts with the policy, and warning us that if we driving less than 75 miles, we need to show the receipt upon return.

I didn't see this last time I rented, so I assume it might be new, but at least they seem to be making an effort to let people know (if they roll it out to all their locations).
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by andyli
All of us received stickers (post-its) on our rental receipts with the policy, and warning us that if we driving less than 75 miles, we need to show the receipt upon return.
I've had these stickers on all of my Preferred Rental "Card" thing they pre-print since they've started this program. Sometimes they're on my rental contract. I've even had them on the dashboard of my car, covering the speedometer.

The only places I havent had the sticker is when the print a traditional contract instead of the preferred card.

But, as other posters have mentioned, there are signs galore at the rental desk stating the policy...
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:40 pm

They tried harder... to screw me

I had the misfortune of winning an Avis rental from Priceline. When picking up the car in LAS, the agent did say to keep my gas receipt, but didn't say why. When I returned the car, I presented my gas receipt the the agent. He said ok, and then said I had a some mandatory charge of 10.50.

Since all my charges and fees were supposed to be prepaid, I went to the service desk to complain. I had to present my receipt again to get the gas charge removed.

To add insult to injury, my car was not topped off completely when I picked it up.

In LAS, I'll stick with Dollar....
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:57 pm

Always keep receipts
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by max bet
To add insult to injury, my car was not topped off completely when I picked it up...
That's my biggest gripe since Budget/Avis started this program. I almost always drive the more than 75 miles, so the original rip-off part doesn't hit me.

But about half the time now when I pick up a car, it is already a hair below F. I almost always suck it up since it normally well above a 7/8 line. But I do a slow burn since I picture the previous renter getting stuck with a double-charge for burning like $5 of gas and I get stuck paying for the gas.

Another 1/4 of my rentals the needle dives sharply from F as I drive away. I make a point of filling the car at what I expect to be the half way mark of the rental. No shocker, I always "use" 1 or 2 more gallons on the outbound than on my return.

This is all new since the program started, I really thing the big rip-off is they charge low mileage renters that fee, yet they don't top the car off unless it is below something like 15/16 full.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I'd like to see this expanded. Seems all my rentals are 80 or 90 miles. Maybe $10.50 for <75 miles, $21.00 for 76-150 miles.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'd like to see this expanded. Seems all my rentals are 80 or 90 miles. Maybe $10.50 for <75 miles, $21.00 for 76-150 miles.
If you're open to paying $21 for 90 miles worth of gas, then just return the car without refueling and you'll probably get charged about that much on the per-mile/per-gallon plan. Maybe even less depending on the car and tank capacity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.