Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Got insurance as part of avis.com rental, but local office won't cover damage cost

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got insurance as part of avis.com rental, but local office won't cover damage cost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

So I rented a car on Avis.com for cape town, and it included the damage insurance (except tires/windshield) as part of the contract.
There was minor scratch on car bumper, and the local cape-town office eventually charged my credit card $100 or so.

Contacted them saying "hey we had insurance", they agreed we had insurance as part of the contract, but since it was bought on Avis.com (instead of through their local office or whatever) they said to talk to Avis corporate.

Talked to Avis corporate/sent them message, and their international-liason or whoever manager simply referred the case back to local office, who ofcourse said "we'll charge for the damage since insurace wasn't bought avis.co.za local site so contact avis corporate". Long story short, since local avis cape town office won't reverse the charges, Avis corporate headoffice person replies back to me saying the charges are staying.

Am I supposed to just eat this cost now? This was only $100, but what if it was major damage which should've been covered by LDW. I don't want to run a credit card dispute because that puts on you their do-not-rent list, so I'm honestly not sure what my options are.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:15 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Your choices are to eat it or escalate. It depends on how much you value your time. It seems like a clearly winnable case if you're willing to expend the time and effort. You may find this helpful.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:18 am

I'm assuming if you go to South Africa again, you won't use Avis. But, can the local franchise put you on the Do Not Rent list for US or Europe corporate Avis stores, where you might have an interest?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where are you located? If in the US, this is an easy CC chargeback.

But, AA may add you to its DNR list as it has a habit of doing so on chargebacks.

You've got some decisions to make.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Just as a data point, I did a chargeback with Avis South Africa due to a situation which was nothing short of a blatant scam (charging for damage marked on the pre-existing damage sheet, and claiming I had the car longer than I did).

I've had no issues renting with Avis/Budget since then. I've not been back to SA.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Recommend charge back and just using your secondary credit card insurance to deal with the mess.
Had a similar issue with Sixt/First rental car in Cape Town. First Rental Car charged me the max out of pocket allowed on the contract, but did not provide a receipt/invoice for the charges. AMEX refused to pay, but stated if they had any new updates, they will follow up. First never followed up.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Skatering
Just as a data point, I did a chargeback with Avis South Africa due to a situation which was nothing short of a blatant scam (charging for damage marked on the pre-existing damage sheet, and claiming I had the car longer than I did).

I've had no issues renting with Avis/Budget since then. I've not been back to SA.
Funny. I actually bagged both a Europcar and a Hertz rental at JNB because both of them were absolutely incompetent, bordering on scamming me and booked Avis at the last minute. I found Avis to be a pleasure to deal with in comparison (my Avis First number was applied, and they gave me my pre-printed contract and keys without requiring a signature and I was off the lot in less than five minutes; when I returned, I did get billed a very fair price for damage that I had caused (one of the country's ubiquitous parking-lot guards guided me right into a concrete piling...and still had the gall to demand a tip!), but it was handled fairly and quickly.

That said, I certainly don't dispute your experience...as far as I'm concerned, most rental offices outside the US/Canada are incompetent and/or owned by greedy scam artists...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.