Search

Renting when DL is lost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Renting when DL is lost

(long thread... apologies)
When I got off the plane yesterday, I realized I lost my DL. I had it earlier in the day to go through airport security, but I must have lost it on one of my flights.
When I showed up at the Avis counter, my paperwork was ready and she employee asked for my DL. I explained to her that I lost it that day, but I had my old, expired one on me, as well as my passport.
The employee said she had been with Avis for 14 years and there was no way she would let me get the car. She suggested I go get a cab or shuttle bus.
I called the Chairman Desk and they called up the airport location. There was no manager available, and basically the Desk advised them to give me the car, but they couldn't force the employee to do so. The Chairman Desk apologised and suggested I have the employee call the manager.
The employee again told me to take a cab, and maybe come back in the morning to talk to the manager.
I insisted she called her manager, which she finally did. I showed her my receipts from two rentals I had earlier on in the day and earlier on in the same week, expired license, Chairman card, passport, etc. The manager and her spent at least (!) 45 minutes going over all my rentals from the past 6 months, and finally, they agreed to give me the car.

This morning, I found out that the manager had called several of the other locations where I rent to see if I'm a valid customer.

My argument was that Avis has my license on file, which gets checked against the DMV database from time to time. Therefore, the employee should have known that I had a valid license.

My question is: do they really need a license if they have it on file, or should another form of ID be sufficient?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dimramon
My question is: do they really need a license if they have it on file, or should another form of ID be sufficient?
They're not looking for ID - they're looking for proof one is presently licensed to drive. A license in your possession for a rental last week could have been revoked. Could they check online? Sure, but so could the police when they pull you over: the requirement is to have it in your possession.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:14 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A license in your possession -- could have been revoked.
Fixed that for you.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They're not looking for ID - they're looking for proof one is presently licensed to drive. A license in your possession for a rental last week could have been revoked. Could they check online? Sure, but so could the police when they pull you over: the requirement is to have it in your possession.
I don't think showing a DL is actual proof. I have a 2nd DL from when I moved, and it is active. If my first one would get revoked, I still have the other.
Note: I am not planning to do this, this is just for argument's sake.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Plat, Avis Prez
I don't think showing a DL is actual proof. I have a 2nd DL from when I moved, and it is active. If my first one would get revoked, I still have the other.
If it has the exact same information as your current and active DL plus it's not expired, then for their own visual inspection (which is all their test really is, since it's only really for deniability purposes) yes it is a valid license and it would be acceptable as proof that you are legally allowed to drive so... not sure what you are saying here... The OP had *no valid license* - which, passport and all, is the only common proof of a current, legal allowance to drive (I suppose there might be little known alternates, but I don't believe passport + old DL is one of them).

OP, definitely sounds like a crappy situation (misplacing/losing any ID always is), but I believe Avis was in the clear here. No matter what your status, how many rentals you had in the past week, or how many other forms of ID you can produce, unless you can produce proof that you are legally allowed to drive a vehicle, why would they set themselves up for a potential mess? I don't applaud the Chairman's Desk on this one -- since they appear to have forced the location to accomodate you --, and neither would you if you had been pulled over...

As for the manager's post-rental investigations, I imagine he was doing the traditional CYA. Can't blame the guy/gal.

Last edited by feelthecool; Jan 9, 2009 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
At one of the major airport locations that I rent at, the rental ticket inside my Chairman folder will sometimes have a handwritten note saying "DL already checked." When I go to the security booth, they just see it and don't check my DL again.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:39 am

officially, avis requires drivers license in hand on every rental, regardless of whether the drivers license is "on file" or not.

However, big however, each state has its own procedures for lost drivers licenses. In california, they fax a letter stating drivers license information and verification address. We have called airport police to verify id's at the counter before. Florida, if memory serves me right, they send a fax photocopy of your drivers license and a letter, including verification process. One state (I cannot remember which) has a letter they send that is valid for 72 hours and they send a replacement ID without picture to your specified address. The Replacement ID is good for 90 days and states on the license "valid as proof of drivers permit only. Requires additional documents for proof of identity. See reverse for list of valid documents."

Bottom line, whatever paper/license/item in lieu of a license must be acceptable to the local municipality, else its not a valid drivers license.

Also, incidentally, many avis locations are tied into DMV computers, so if your license was revoked, they can sometimes catch it. In california, they ran, on every transaction, every CA, WA, AZ, NV, OR drivers license presented at the time of rental, including those Id's on file. In Hawaii, I believe they run HI and CA licenses, it depends on the state, but its a sure bet that if your ID is revoked and you are still in posession of, or have a duplicate license, its russian roulette to rent.

Expired licenses, however, are much easier to pass off on, esp at the preferred counter. Agents dont pay attention as much because the contract is already printed.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The argument, if hypothetical, is weak. Securing a license in the 'new' state commonly requires one to surrender the license in the 'old' state. Where I live, having a license in another state concurrent with my license in this state is a crime.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:05 pm

Did it yesterday. Called my friendly DMZ and they faxed over proof of a legal ablity to operate a motor vehicle -- this is key.

The short answer is no, but you can usually get them to accoomodate the above. Unfortuantely, if your home state has a huge DMV, they may not be so accomodating.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:07 am

Seems to me that in all of the states in which I've lived, driving without a physical driver's license is a violation (of motor vehicle code), no?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aviators99
Seems to me that in all of the states in which I've lived, driving without a physical driver's license is a violation (of motor vehicle code), no?
Not in all states. A paper license with no photo is perfectly legal in CA.

Last edited by jgsx; Jan 11, 2009 at 6:39 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by jgsx
Not in all states. A paper license with no phone is perfectly legal in CA.
a paper license is a physical license isnt it? many states present you with a paper temp in lieu of permanent license to be mailed at a later date. Even some states require you to surrender your license when your pulled over for a violation. the ticket serves as your license until your court date.

so long as the ticket does not violate the minimum requirements for renting a car, its legit, though I freely admit I looked at people funny for giving me a ticket as proof of DL.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ezmonee
a paper license is a physical license isnt it? many states present you with a paper temp in lieu of permanent license to be mailed at a later date. Even some states require you to surrender your license when your pulled over for a violation. the ticket serves as your license until your court date.

so long as the ticket does not violate the minimum requirements for renting a car, its legit, though I freely admit I looked at people funny for giving me a ticket as proof of DL.
Good point
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
A lost drivers license is an FT nightmare. That's why I have a window in my wallet and try never to take it out. I use a military ID instead at the checkpoints and counters. I'm sure there are other forms of acceptable ID that you can obtain.

Jim
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jimquan
A lost drivers license is an FT nightmare. That's why I have a window in my wallet and try never to take it out. I use a military ID instead at the checkpoints and counters.
Your military ID suffices to rent a car?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.