Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting when DL is lost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
I meant airline the check in counter. I use alternate ID in this case military at the checkpoint to ensure that I don't lose my drivers license and have it available at the car rental counter.

Jim
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Your military ID suffices to rent a car?
It worked for a friend of mine with Budget at YYZ. However she is Canadian military so YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:27 pm

^

I use the new Passport Card at airport checkpoints.

Its AMAZING how many TSA staff have never seen nor heard of this Federal ID card!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
It stinks that you lost your DL. But I think the agent could have lost his/her job if they rented a car to someone with a suspended/revoked license. Even if you rented a car with them the night before you could have done something in the interim to have your license suspended/revoked.

I think I would have done the same thing if I were in the agents shoes. I would have been very apologetic to you however, which in your case that gesture was not projected IMO.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Your military ID suffices to rent a car?
military id alone is not sufficient to rent a car. A military id and an expired drivers license in most states is sufficient. Active duty military on assignment beyond the borders of their home state can drive on an expired license until, if memory serves me right, 30 days after discharge OR the military personnel returns to home state. In that case, military personnel in most states requires that they renew their license within one working day of arriving in their state for their license to be valid.

its been a while since I enforced this, so I may be missing something small, but the generality is correct.

but on traveling and losing drivers licenses, I keep a copy of a state ID handy (breast pocket) and keep my drivers license firmly in my wallet. In my phone, I have my DL info, phone number and hours for my DMV back home, amex number and amex traveler assistance phone number, the 24 on call number for our company attorney. that info can pretty much get my out of any immediate issue when traveling, at least in country.

For california road warriors, you really should have this information handy..

Unfortunately, you can't request a replacement of your driver's license by mail, online, or over the phone because they must verify your identity. So, if you are outside of California and lose your license, you can't replace it until you return. In some cases exceptions to this rule can be made; call (916) 657-7790 for more information.

Last edited by ezmonee; Jan 11, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.