Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental in TPA is almost double everyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Car rental in TPA is almost double everyone else?

I generally try to rent from Avis. They make it easy to reserve and get in & out of their lots, plus, in most place I rent, the cars are at the airport.

I need to rent a car for a week in July in TPA. The rates for an intermediate are $330 + tax for the week. Ditto for MCO. This is using the Costco code.

Not only is that an outrageous price, it's nearly double what the competitors are charging.

Needless to say, I went to my back up car rental company, and got myself a nice intermediate car from National for $185 + tax for the week.

Is Avis trying to put itself out of business?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I generally try to rent from Avis. They make it easy to reserve and get in & out of their lots, plus, in most place I rent, the cars are at the airport.

I need to rent a car for a week in July in TPA. The rates for an intermediate are $330 + tax for the week. Ditto for MCO. This is using the Costco code.

Not only is that an outrageous price, it's nearly double what the competitors are charging.

Needless to say, I went to my back up car rental company, and got myself a nice intermediate car from National for $185 + tax for the week.

Is Avis trying to put itself out of business?
This happens frequently and randomly. I book business travel through Orbitzforbusiness and at least 30% of the time there are drastic differences ($15/day or more) between Avis, Budget, and Hertz--our three approved providers. Checking back closer to the date has never been fruitful.

That's why you keep a backup company.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And sometimes these high fares you get booking in advance are replaced with low fares when you actually return the car:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772627

But so far no one seems to have identified when this will happen and when it won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.