Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have to take a convertible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Do I have to take a convertible?

I'm usually a Hertz renter, but for a 3-day rental in June picking up at EWR and dropping at ALB, the lowest price by *far* of all the rental companies was a convertible from Avis -- the base rate on that car was at least $65 less than even a compact when factoring in all the discounts.

Maybe Avis needs to move their convertible fleet out of EWR, I don't know, but the thing is, we don't really want a convertible... especially one of those PT Cruiser things I've seen floating around. What are the chances we'll really end up in one or be able to get "downgraded" to a normal midsize instead?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

If you're going 1-way, you're basically going to get what they have that doesn't belong to that station. However, since EWR is so big, I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue 'downgrading' to something else. You won't get your pick of cars, but they should work with you a bit.

Also, I really doubt you'd get a PT convertible from Avis... I haven't seen those on any lots. The usual convertibles at Avis are the Mustang, Eclipse (nice car, TINY trunk), Sebring (most roomy convertible) or maybe even a Crossfire.

A good back-up plan might be to book the Avis car and then a 2nd at Hertz (assuring there isn't a cancellation fee at Hertz; I never use them, so I wouldn't know). In the case that Avis won't give you anything but a convertible, you can tell them to stiff it and walk to Hertz for your rental. If Avis gives you something decent, call Hertz and cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.