Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Avis - how to maximize benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum or Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
New to Avis - how to maximize benefits

Hello Avis experts!

With my relatively new company, I am required to use Avis for all car rentals. Their program seems quite a bit different than a "typical" program where one earns points that after having accumulated a sufficient balance are redeemable for a free flight/night/car rental/etc.

My understanding is that after 12 rentals or 35 rental days in a year, you become eligible for "Avis 1st", and as a member of that, you get a free rental day after every 2 or 3 rentals. I know there are a couple higher levels of "elite status" that are invite only after a certain level of rentals.

It also sounds like you can "double dip" and earn points on their available affiliated airline and hotel programs. As you can see from my profile, I am a Marriott and Northwest guy, and neither is an earning option with Avis.

So my questions are really how to maximize my benefits. I have a Starwood and Hilton balance, although small and I rarely stay at either property. I really only fly NW or Skyteam, and accumulating Continental or Delta miles doesn't seem too valuable.

Can someone help an Avis newbie with some inside ideas on how to earn points or miles or car rentals that I can use? I typically rent from Avis 2x a month for 1-3 days per rental. I have been using Hertz for one way rentals to avoid the $.40 per mile charge that they assess (or that my corporate travel agency managed to negotiate). However, I keep getting yelled at for that, so I believe I will rent exclusively from Avis going forward.

Thank you for your insights.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I fly NW too and its a bummer that Avis nor Hertz have partnership deals with NW. I just have my NW miles go to Delta for now. Not sure what else to do with them.

Remember there is a surcharge that your company may not pay for to execute the points transfer to your preferred FF program. For Skymiles I think its like 2 or 4 bucks a rental.

And just because I couldn't find an easy list, here's a full list of the Avis Partners you can transfer points/miles to:

Aeromexico Frequence Flyer
Aeropostal Airlines
Air Canada Aeroplan
Air FranceKLM Blue Traveler
Air Luxor
Air Miles Loyalty Program
Air New Zealand
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Alitalia Club MilleMiglia
All Nippon Airways
Aloha Pass
American Advantage
Austrian Airlines Qualiflyer
Best Western Gold Crown Club
Braathens S.A.F.E. Frequent Flyer
British Airways Executive Club
British Midland Diamond Club
Cathay Pacific Airlines
Club Ramada
Continental OnePass
Czech Airlines OK Plus
Delta SkyMiles
EL AL Frequent Traveler
Eva Air Evergreen Club
ExpressJet Jetset
Fidelidade TAM
Finnair Plus
Fly Buys - New Zealand ONLY
French Rail (SNCF)
GlobalPass LatinPass
Hawaiian Airlines Hawaiian Miles
Hilton HHonors
Hyatt Gold Passport
Iberia Plus
Japan Airlines (JMB)
KLM Blue Traveler
KOREAN AIR SKYPASS
LOT Voyager
LanChile Airlines LanPass
Lufthansa Miles and More
Malaysian Airlines
Midwest Miles
Miles&Miles (Turkish Airlines)
Passages
Qantas
SAS EuroBonus
SN Brussels Privilege
Saudia Alfursan
Singapore KrisFlyer
South African Airways Voyager
Spanair Plus
Starwood Preferred Guest
Swiss TravelClub
TAP Air Portugal Frequent Flyer
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
TripRewards
US Airways Dividend Miles
United Mileage Plus
VIASA Plus
Varig Smiles
Virgin Freeway

Super ugly long post, but maybe that'll help you find one. Though I've found after rental with National for this current NW promtion, I care less about the points for car rental, but more about the service.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG, AA
Originally Posted by MN Traveling Man
Hello Avis experts!

With my relatively new company, I am required to use Avis for all car rentals. Their program seems quite a bit different than a "typical" program where one earns points that after having accumulated a sufficient balance are redeemable for a free flight/night/car rental/etc.

My understanding is that after 12 rentals or 35 rental days in a year, you become eligible for "Avis 1st", and as a member of that, you get a free rental day after every 2 or 3 rentals. I know there are a couple higher levels of "elite status" that are invite only after a certain level of rentals.

It also sounds like you can "double dip" and earn points on their available affiliated airline and hotel programs. As you can see from my profile, I am a Marriott and Northwest guy, and neither is an earning option with Avis.

So my questions are really how to maximize my benefits. I have a Starwood and Hilton balance, although small and I rarely stay at either property. I really only fly NW or Skyteam, and accumulating Continental or Delta miles doesn't seem too valuable.

Can someone help an Avis newbie with some inside ideas on how to earn points or miles or car rentals that I can use? I typically rent from Avis 2x a month for 1-3 days per rental. I have been using Hertz for one way rentals to avoid the $.40 per mile charge that they assess (or that my corporate travel agency managed to negotiate). However, I keep getting yelled at for that, so I believe I will rent exclusively from Avis going forward.

Thank you for your insights.
It sounds like you're already in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Avis awards Starpoints with rentals if that's what you specify. This, in conjunction with charges on the Starwood Amex card, racks up points. The Starpoints transfer to NW at 1:1. Also, if you transfer in lots of 20k, they'll deposit the extra 5K for 25K total. Starpoints can be trasferred to most airlines. I've had no problem using them in the American Airlines program and the transfer shows in your account within a couple of days. Just an idea for a no cost option that might work for you.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I recommend that you join Virgin Atlantic's frequent-flyer program, and have your Avis rentals credited to Virgin. You will earn either 500 or 1000 miles per rental, depending on the rate you pay, and because Virgin is not a U.S. carrier, there is no frequent-flyer tax on the miles. Virgin Atlantic miles are redeemable with a number of partners, including Continental, USAir, Hilton, Hyatt and Avis. (And if you ever stay at a Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, or Hilton Garden Inn, you can earn 1000 Virgin miles, in addition to the Hilton HHonors points.)

I have never flown Virgin, and probably never will, but joined their program because of the generous mileage earned from renting with Avis (and the exemption from the frequent-flyer tax).

If you decide to join the Virgin program, check out the FT Virgin forum, as I think that there is an enrollment bonus available if you are referred by a current member. (But referral bonuses are earned only if the referred person actually flies on a Virgin Atlantic flight.)

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 2, 2008 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Agree 100% on the Virgin suggestion. I have collected almost 100k miles last year just from Avis rentals.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You also need to make sure your negotiated corporate rate does not exclude you from getting miles. Many of us have that problem.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by username
You also need to make sure your negotiated corporate rate does not exclude you from getting miles. Many of us have that problem.
I can't speak about other airlines, but with Virgin, corporate-rate rentals are supposed to earn 500 miles, and retail-rate rentals are supposed to earn 1,000 miles.

I always use the AARP AWD when renting with Avis, in order to take advantage of the free 100/300/25 liability insurance which Avis provides on AARP rentals. I have earned 1000 Virgin miles on every AARP rental.

I have also found that I earn Virgin miles with rentals from local, off-airport Avis locations, despite the fact that I was unable to get Hilton HHonors points credited from rentals at those same locations. Just one more reason to choose Virgin.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

I can't speak about other airlines, but with Virgin, corporate-rate rentals are supposed to earn 500 miles, and retail-rate rentals are supposed to earn 1,000 miles.

I always use the AARP AWD when renting with Avis, in order to take advantage of the free 100/300/25 liability insurance which Avis provides on AARP rentals. I have earned 1000 Virgin miles on every AARP rental.

I have also found that I earn Virgin miles with rentals from local, off-airport Avis locations, despite the fact that I was unable to get Hilton HHonors points credited from rentals at those same locations. Just one more reason to choose Virgin.
My understanding is that the restriction is on the rate, not on the airline/hotel. I have worked for a few huge American companies and none of their negotiated rate can get miles (Hertz, Avis and National).
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:19 pm

avis/starwood

If I credit my Avis rental to my Starwood account, am I supposed to enter in the letter prefix on my Starwood account or not?

For instance, on Starwood's own site, you don't enter the letter.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Milesjamie
If I credit my Avis rental to my Starwood account, am I supposed to enter in the letter prefix on my Starwood account or not?

For instance, on Starwood's own site, you don't enter the letter.
Just use the numbers.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:01 pm

guv1976 - regarding your post: "I always use the AARP AWD when renting with Avis, in order to take advantage of the free 100/300/25 liability insurance which Avis provides on AARP rentals. I have earned 1000 Virgin miles on every AARP rental."

Can you point me to a reference, please? All I can find on the AARP website is this:

"In addition to the above discounts you will receive the following benefits at participating U.S. locations if the AARP Discount ID# is noted on your rental agreement:

enhanced primary liability coverage of $25,000/$50,000/$10,000 at participating locations
maximum personal liability of $5,000 for damages to the rental car at participating locations if you decline to purchase the loss/damage waiver option. Review your personal auto insurance policy to determine if you need to purchase this option; certain credit card companies may provide this benefit at no charge. If you do not purchase the waiver, the AARP benefit will limit your responsibility for damages to the rental car to no more than $5,000."

100/300/25 primary liability would be terrific!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Idranet
guv1976 - regarding your post: "I always use the AARP AWD when renting with Avis, in order to take advantage of the free 100/300/25 liability insurance which Avis provides on AARP rentals. I have earned 1000 Virgin miles on every AARP rental."

Can you point me to a reference, please? All I can find on the AARP website is this:

"In addition to the above discounts you will receive the following benefits at participating U.S. locations if the AARP Discount ID# is noted on your rental agreement:

enhanced primary liability coverage of $25,000/$50,000/$10,000 at participating locations
maximum personal liability of $5,000 for damages to the rental car at participating locations if you decline to purchase the loss/damage waiver option. Review your personal auto insurance policy to determine if you need to purchase this option; certain credit card companies may provide this benefit at no charge. If you do not purchase the waiver, the AARP benefit will limit your responsibility for damages to the rental car to no more than $5,000."

100/300/25 primary liability would be terrific!
After I read your post, I went to the AARP/Avis page, and saw the same lower liability limits you mentioned. If this is not a website misprint, then it is a very recent (and unfortunate) change. I have submitted an Email to AARP asking for clarification. I'll post their response when I get it. Thanks for pointing this out! I have an Avis rental scheduled for next month, and may now have to purchase the million-dollar liability supplement.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curiouser and curiouser: I just went to www.avis.com/aarp, and when I click on the "Member Benefits" link, I still find the 100/300/25 liability limits. So either Avis is slow in correcting its own website, or the lower liability limits on the AARP site are a mistake.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:40 am

Thanks, guv1976. Hopefully, the AARP site has the incorrect info. My last 3 rentals have all been at AARP rates, but I didn't know about the included liability. While I didn't take the AVIS insurance features, I would have felt better knowing about that primary liability coverage!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Idranet
Thanks, guv1976. Hopefully, the AARP site has the incorrect info. My last 3 rentals have all been at AARP rates, but I didn't know about the included liability. While I didn't take the AVIS insurance features, I would have felt better knowing about that primary liability coverage!
Just be aware that not every Avis office in the U.S. participates in the AARP coverage. If your rental agreement shows an entry that reads something like "LDW $5000," then you know that your AARP coverage (including the liability coverage, whatever it turns out to be) applies to that rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.