Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IMHO the Garmin Units Suck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

IMHO the Garmin Units Suck

Being custom to Hertz "built in" GPS system, I was shamed to see Avis offer a very crappy GPS system. The unit got me to where I was going but it was a pain to set up (I know its so simple right?)

It kept shutting off cause the battery was dead and the power plug has trouble staying plugged into the 300m.

The hertz unit has a HDD so it has more "attractions" and "etc" The Garmin offered with Avis has limited data and appears 1 year+ outdated.

Not that I wont drive avis again, but I may have to invest in my own GPS unit.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sundrop
Being custom to Hertz "built in" GPS system, I was shamed to see Avis offer a very crappy GPS system. The unit got me to where I was going but it was a pain to set up (I know its so simple right?)

It kept shutting off cause the battery was dead and the power plug has trouble staying plugged into the 300m.

The hertz unit has a HDD so it has more "attractions" and "etc" The Garmin offered with Avis has limited data and appears 1 year+ outdated.

Not that I wont drive avis again, but I may have to invest in my own GPS unit.
I own a Garmin Nuvi 350. And the StreetPilot C550 Avis rents (I forgot mine last week) is utter crap in comparison.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I own a Garmin Nuvi 350. And the StreetPilot C550 Avis rents (I forgot mine last week) is utter crap in comparison.
I used to have a Magellan Roadmate (similar to NeverLost), dumped it for a Nuvi 350, and would not even consider going back.

Last time I rented from Hertz, I forgot that my company rate includes NeverLost, I took my 350 with me. I decided to run both at the same time to compare - the Nuvi 350 won hands down.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
Yeah, but do you remember what they used before the gps unit??? I was used to the installed Hertz navigation product and rented Avis with something called "neverlost" or something like that. Best I could figure, it was a phone to call in for directions... Never took the time to figure it out, just payed the 9.95/day they charged me for it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I have the Nuvi 660 and previously rented from Avis. I don't even remember any differences in the software. My only problem with the Avis unit was the mounting...or lack thereof.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:17 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
I have a Garmin C530 and love it. It looks like the Avis unit is similar, I don't see why it wouldn't work properly. User error?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I have the Nuvi 660 and previously rented from Avis. I don't even remember any differences in the software. My only problem with the Avis unit was the mounting...or lack thereof.
It wasn't as specific in the directions, IIRC. It wouldn't say "on left" until you were right on top of the destination, for example.

The other thing is that it's locked out when the car is moving and I couldn't figure out how to turn that off so I could search for a nearby gas station while moving. I had to pull over so I could look.....great nanny state feature that was unnecessary.

The 350 is still da bomb. And it's only $449 at Amazon now.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I purchased the new Magellan GPS and love it.
Once in awhile it has trouble connecting to the satellites.By and large it took me from NY to California without any real major hitch.It is impressive how they have improved this unit since the first very expensive first generation ran in Hertz cars years ago
400 bux from Costco vs thousands..........Sweeeeeeeeeet even routes around traffic jams
Haven't tried that part out though.I do have some minor complaints but the positive easily outweighs the negatives.Very user friendly.I looked at the graphics on the Garmin before making my final decision and didn't like them in comparison.However that may not in any way affect performance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.