FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   List your upgrades! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/595752-list-your-upgrades.html)

IAHtraveler Jul 25, 2010 12:39 am

Originally Posted by joediver (Post 14359971)
Sorry to disagree Andy but I can never think of a Hyundai as an upgrade:confused:

Obviously you haven't been in a Genesis yet. Unless you book a "luxury" car, I'd consider this an upgrade. Heck, I'd say it's one of the best cars in the typical Avis lineup, in addition to the STS (4.6L V8 only), Limited Taurus and the G37x. If you're only comparing base-level cars on the Avis lot, the Genesis would probably be my pick of the litter.

trekwars2000 Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am

Reserved: Int.
Rxed: Lincoln MKS with 7000 on the clock

I called the location and requested a MKS or DTS as I had 3 coworkers coming with me and we needed the room.

Steph3n Jul 26, 2010 11:13 am

Sorry to disagree Andy but I can never think of a Hyundai as an upgrade:confused:

Hyundai makes good cars, why don't you go drive a Genesis? Or even a 2011 sonata...(I don't like the way the seat fits for my legs, but otherwise nice)

ramalama8 Jul 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 14367362)
Hyundai makes good cars, why don't you go drive a Genesis? Or even a 2011 sonata...(I don't like the way the seat fits for my legs, but otherwise nice)

I can see Hyundai is trying really hard to compete with the likes of Toyota and Honda and they seem to be doing a fair job. The Sonata is OK, not great. Never been in a Genesis.

z003y Jul 26, 2010 1:38 pm

yyz upgrade

Reserved: Mid Size
Rxed: Ford Escape with 13k, leather and fully loaded

caveat: They tried to give me a full size, but it had a broken lumbar and 47k on the clock, I asked for another car, and got the Escape

Cuse44 Jul 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14360192)
Obviously you haven't been in a Genesis yet. Unless you book a "luxury" car, I'd consider this an upgrade. Heck, I'd say it's one of the best cars in the typical Avis lineup, in addition to the STS (4.6L V8 only), Limited Taurus and the G37x. If you're only comparing base-level cars on the Avis lot, the Genesis would probably be my pick of the litter.

^...I agree with you that this car might be one of the best on most Avis lots. I would take it over a CTS any day!

Cuse44 Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Reserved: Full-Size
Given: Caddy CTS

This might have been the same exact car I had last week in Houston. I don't think I have had this happen before.

Auto Enthusiast Jul 29, 2010 9:19 am

local Avis office
family member reserved midsize on short notice, using their flat corporate rate that gives economy, compact, and midsize for the same price

I didn't see any midsize cars when we arrived. I saw some much bigger cars, but I had the sense they were all reserved. The agent looked at the computer printout and frowned as he searched the computer. He said that since we booked on the same day, he was unable to see it. The only car he can offer us is a subcompact Hyundai Accent. We took it without fuss, since it was the same price and we didn't really need much space today.

Another family was sitting nearby. They said they were waiting for their car to arrive. A few minutes later, an employee drove in a Ford Explorer with VA plates. After our car was assigned, another customer returned a compact Hyundai Elantra, also coincidentally with VA plates. The agent mumbled if only he had returned it a few minutes earlier so we could have gotten it.

I asked if they got a lot of one-ways out of VA recently, since there was a third car like that, a Nissan Murano. Another clerk said yes, they get a lot of one-ways, recently from VA, CA, TX, and Kentucky.

A few weeks ago I booked a car for myself on short notice with Hertz using the Underage Coupon. When I arrived, they were already expecting me. I knew Avis had a smaller, less flexible fleet, which is why recently I see them driving cars between nearby locations a lot more. Unusually, Avis' retail rates were lower than Hertz's today, so Avis may yet get more same-day reservations. And they can't even see these new reservations in the computer? Come on.

IAHtraveler Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 14386085)
He said that since we booked on the same day, he was unable to see it.

Wow, that's crazy. Are they a franchisee or corporate location, if you know? I've made reservations several places when I'm either walking through the terminal or on the shuttle bus to the lot (sometimes on the phone, some via the computer). By the time I get to the counter, they're at least semi-prepared for me. They can see the ressie and usually have a car ready (if I call the CHM desk). If I do it online (when there's too much background noise to call), they'll at least have it in the computer and give me pick of the litter when I arrive.

Auto Enthusiast Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Corporate. They explained it to me last year when I asked about all the out of state cars that keep appearing and disappearing every day, but a sign says "This location independently operated by...": Independent operator at off-airport branches, but the cars are all owned by Avis nationwide corporate Fleet Department.

USirritated Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

That would be your choice Joe, and I admit to thinking similarly until recently, but not anymore. Have you ever tried a Hyundai Genesis? It is truely a gorgeous car, and certainly better than the present crop of Toyotas and Nissans! Really, at least take a look at one the next time you rent, and maybe even give it a try, I think you will be impressed. I know I was impressed, and surprised!

USirritated Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 14367889)
I can see Hyundai is trying really hard to compete with the likes of Toyota and Honda and they seem to be doing a fair job. The Sonata is OK, not great. Never been in a Genesis.

Actually, the totally new model 2011 Hyundai Equus is set to compete with Mercedes E & S-Class, BMW 5 & 7 Series, Audi A6 & A8, Lexus LS, and loaded Infiniti M-class.

levanta Aug 3, 2010 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14386186)
http://bodybuilderspro.info/pictures...818/random.gifWow, that's crazy. Are they a franchisee or corporate location, if you know? I've made reservations several places when I'm either walking through the terminal or on the shuttle bus to the lot (sometimes on the phone, some via the computer). By the time I get to the counter, they're at least semi-prepared for me. They can see the ressie and usually have a car ready (if I call the CHM desk). If I do it online (when there's too much background noise to call), they'll at least have it in the computer and give me pick of the litter when I arrive.

Yea, that seems a bit strange. Its usually a very quick process for them to see it.

halcyon725 Aug 6, 2010 7:16 am

Reserved: Standard
Rxed: Nissan Altima Coupe

ramalama8 Aug 6, 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 14395070)
Actually, the totally new model 2011 Hyundai Equus is set to compete with Mercedes E & S-Class, BMW 5 & 7 Series, Audi A6 & A8, Lexus LS, and loaded Infiniti M-class.

I was shocked to hear of your claim that a Korean car, Hyundai, would compete with the German engineering of a Mercedes or BMW. I haven't yet driven one, so I can't substantiate any claims, but from reading some online reviews, it sounds very promising. I'm even excited about trying the Genesis now.

Question: I'd love to get one of these, but my company will only allow me to book up to a full-size car. And when I do book full-size, they always upgrade me to some sort of SUV. Have you been successful in getting a Genesis as an upgrade from a full-size?