FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   List your upgrades! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/595752-list-your-upgrades.html)

nachoman205 Jan 18, 2010 7:23 am

Good to hear someone is getting upgraded been shutout last 3 times since made avis first. Maybe since i usually put 700 to 1300 miles per rental i get black balled fpr upgrades. Dal next week maybe better luck

NZinDC Jan 24, 2010 10:47 am

Day/Date: Christmas Eve 1pm
Reserved: Mid Size
Given: Pontiac G6

Day/Time: Thursday 9pm
Given: Chevy HHR with busted locks. Switched next morning to Toyota Corolla at DC2 (downtown DC) after W3C (NW DC) had no mid-size.

Given: Hyundai Sonata (an upgrade of sorts)

Reserved: Full Size
Given: Nissan Altima. Not an upgrade but v nice car, near new.

Auto Enthusiast Jan 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Last week at a local branch in the northern NY suburbs:

Booked: regular SUV
Received: "We're giving you a nice upgrade. You paid for a 5 passenger SUV. This Dodge Journey is a 7 passenger SUV. But the third row folds down if you don't need the extra seats." (we didn't, we booked the SUV for the cargo, and most certainly not for the lousy gas mileage)

Noted: GMC Acadia and Dodge Nitro parked nearby, not sure how they classify them

I_Sue_Debt_Collectors Jan 24, 2010 1:19 pm

SEA
1/20 to 1/24
reserved full size
given Caddy CTS
Pres Club

Steph3n Jan 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 13246363)
Last week at a local branch in the northern NY suburbs:

Booked: regular SUV
Received: "We're giving you a nice upgrade. You paid for a 5 passenger SUV. This Dodge Journey is a 7 passenger SUV. But the third row folds down if you don't need the extra seats." (we didn't, we booked the SUV for the cargo, and most certainly not for the lousy gas mileage)

Noted: GMC Acadia and Dodge Nitro parked nearby, not sure how they classify them

Did you see my mini review of the sucky dodge journey? :D the transmission was probably the worst issue, but say your tranmission was fine, did it have the pep of a tortoise(or would hit the red line if you tried to pass someone or go from 0 to 40 in less than 15 seconds)?

USirritated Jan 24, 2010 3:28 pm

I've been Chairman's Club since may 2009, and I've generally enjoyed the experience, with only once or two exceptions. Some of the locations have given truly PHENOMENAL SERVICE, including a choice of any car they had on the lot (LAX offered me this on a trip there back in September, I chose an Infiniti G37x because I had driven way too many Cadillacs before, but never an Infiniti. I loved it. In November in BOS I asked for a Camaro, and was told those were only available if I paid for a specialty car, and that would cost me another $80 per day, so I took the Cadillac CTS they gave me and went on my way. I was not pleased however, because as far as I knew, other than SUV's and Van's, any car on the lot was available for Chairman's members.

Day/Time: Thursday 3pm, November 5, 2009
Given: Cadillac CTS (asked for a Chevy Camaro for a change and was turned down)

Day/Time: Friday, 4pm, November 6, 2009
Given: Lincoln MKS (asked for a Cadillac STS or DTS, but no Cadillacs of any kind were available on the lot at the time, the MKS was a bit tight on size for the people that I needed to drive around while I was there.)

Auto Enthusiast Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Did you see my mini review of the sucky dodge journey? the transmission was probably the worst issue, but say your tranmission was fine, did it have the pep of a tortoise(or would hit the red line if you tried to pass someone or go from 0 to 40 in less than 15 seconds)?

The Journey seemed a bit small. I was surprised the cargo fit with no need to fold down the second row. I didn't use max acceleration, so the only red line I saw was the gas gauge nearing empty and singing 'ding ding ding.' ;)

IAHtraveler Jan 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 13246363)

Have a look at the sticky with the fleet list (and a shortcut on your mobile if you rent often enough :D): The Acadia is S (Standard SUV, Jeep Commander or similar) and the horrendous Nitro is F (Intermediate SUV). CNN was right when they voted the Nitro the worst vehicle on the road a few years ago...

Steph3n Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 13248030)
Did you see my mini review of the sucky dodge journey? the transmission was probably the worst issue, but say your tranmission was fine, did it have the pep of a tortoise(or would hit the red line if you tried to pass someone or go from 0 to 40 in less than 15 seconds)?

The Journey seemed a bit small. I was surprised the cargo fit with no need to fold down the second row. I didn't use max acceleration, so the only red line I saw was the gas gauge nearing empty and singing 'ding ding ding.' ;)

I normally don't redline either, must have been this particular vehicle, as shifting into neutral when you go to a stop sign and making the engine rev up insanely isn't normal either.

I will now refrain from slamming the journey for it's performance but a transmission out at less than 12k miles, I may questions its longevity :D

USirritated Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 13248162)
Have a look at the sticky with the fleet list (and a shortcut on your mobile if you rent often enough :D): The Acadia is S (Standard SUV, Jeep Commander or similar) and the horrendous Nitro is F (Intermediate SUV). CNN was right when they voted the Nitro the worst vehicle on the road a few years ago...

Interesting, I have had Nitro's a couple of times, and I liked them. Don't get me wrong, it was not the best SUV I have ever rented, but it was far from the worst either.

USirritated Jan 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Has anyone been given one of the new model 2010 Buick LaCrosse's yet? I really want to drive one of them, but every time I have asked for one, they tell me that vehicle is not in that station's fleet yet. Comments please?

sobore Jan 25, 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 13249475)
Has anyone been given one of the new model 2010 Buick LaCrosse's yet? I really want to drive one of them, but every time I have asked for one, they tell me that vehicle is not in that station's fleet yet. Comments please?

I inquired about this at FLL and was told it is not yet part of the company fleet, but I thought I saw one at PHX. I guess it depends who you talk to.

USirritated Jan 25, 2010 7:10 am

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse has been out for more than 4 months now, I wonder what they are waiting for?

Steph3n Jan 25, 2010 7:58 am

I'd much rather them get more Toyota, honda and Hyundai than a Buick of any sort. I don't think you are missing much :)

USirritated Jan 25, 2010 8:16 am

I think your prejudices betray you in a totally unwarranted way. Toyota, more recalls in 2009 than any other brand in the US, and has already had major recalls for 2010. Buick, no recalls for 2009 or 2010. Every Buick model is VERY highly reviewed for reliability and quality, while Toyota has been going down hill for the last few years. The 2010 LaCrosse is actually rated as better than the Lexus ES350 by Motor Trend, and none of the auto reviewers did not give it a glowing review. I think you are behind the times my friend. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single car that GM builds itself (as opposed to one they rebadge such as the Chevy Aveo) that is not a genuinely good car or truck right now. So you go ahead and drive all the stodgy Toyotas you want to, but I want to drive the 2010 Buick LaCrosse, thank you very much, and I think that a majority of people, given the choice of what they would want to rent between a Toyota and a LaCrosse, would choose a LaCrosse, with two cars sitting side by side, hands down.