FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   List your upgrades! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/595752-list-your-upgrades.html)

ramalama8 Sep 19, 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14696024)
Got a Challenger R/T in SFO for ~ 12 hours this week... what a great car! It makes the Camaro SS feel like a pile of junk.

I've always really wanted to try the Challenger. Ugh, I've got to figure out some way to snag one at BWI.

avpman Sep 19, 2010 9:42 am

AVP
Rented- Full Size
Received- Fully Loaded Flex w/Satellite still working!

I know this car doesn't look very nice, depending on who you ask, but this car is perfect on the highway. I fit 2 sets of golf clubs, 2 travel bags, 2 coolers, and some other things, with plenty of room to spare in the back.

IAHtraveler Sep 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by avpman (Post 14706286)
AVP
Rented- Full Size
Received- Fully Loaded Flex w/Satellite still working!

I know this car doesn't look very nice, depending on who you ask, but this car is perfect on the highway. I fit 2 sets of golf clubs, 2 travel bags, 2 coolers, and some other things, with plenty of room to spare in the back.

I fully agree that the Flex is one of the better cars in the Avis fleet right now, especially the Limited version. It's HUGE and has lots of features. Sure, it doesn't drive like a 2-door coupe, but it also feels better on the road than a bulky Explorer or other mid-size SUV that holds similar equipment.

tony2x Oct 9, 2010 6:50 pm

SFO

Booked: mid-size
Received: Hyundai Sonata (new shape with Bluetooth, a surprisingly good car!)

SEA

Received: Chevy Malibu LTZ, fully loaded but broke down on the way back to the city and was replaced with A Ford Fusion SEL V6.

SFO

Received: Chevy Equinox LTZ, again fully loaded with electric tailgate, XM radio and reversing camera with the screen cleverly hidden in the rear-view mirror.

LHR

Booked: Avis Select Series BMW 320d
Received: Avis Prestige fleet BMW 330d M Sport

I turned up at 5am for my booking to find my name missing from the Preferred List. Had a 45 minute argument with three members of Avis staff who told me my Select series car was not available and I would have to take a VW Passat TDI instead. They advertise Select as the ability to choose the exact car you'll get so I wasn't budging. They then relented and offered me either an Audi A5 2.7TDI or the BMW 330d from the Prestige fleet. I chose the BMW.

SEA

Received: Hyundai Sonata (I have this as my preferred car now in my profile so I don't end up in a Grand Marquis).

Gamecock Oct 9, 2010 7:12 pm

CLT

Booked a Full size, which is usually an Impala.
Got a Premium: Mercury Grand Marquis. Not to be grumpy, but I was underwhelmed by the way way it handled on I-85.
(Just a Preferred Member)

fresto Oct 10, 2010 7:28 pm

MIA Buick Lacrosse for full sized booking

Got into MIA and asked for a fun car - they were sold out for the weekend and Novel offered me a choice between Chrysler 300 and Buick Lacrosse (both premium). Knowing nothing about either, I chose the newer Lacrosse - liked it a lot except for the headrests which were strange and forward angled. They hurt my neck.

first time preferred using a standard weekend upgrade code
booked full sized
got premium

ontherun Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Last three rentals here at TPA, rented an Intermediate, and am PC.

Week 1, Cadillac CTS w/ 5k, w/ working Sat Rad
Week 2, Infiniti G37 w/ 11k w/ Sat Rad not working
This week, Lincoln MKS 23k miles, Sat Rad not working.

USirritated Oct 21, 2010 3:20 am

Reserved: Mid-size
Received: 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXL

I arrived at ATL on the afternoon of October 19. Even though a Buick Lacrosse is not technically a luxury car, which I am entitled to as a CHM, I did not complain, because I love the new Lacrosse. I am not sure whether Lacrosse would be considered Full or Premium, but I would guess that it would be a full, just like the new Ford Taurus. This Lacrosse has about 7,700 miles on the clock, and the XM is no longer working.

Note - Before I knew what car they had assigned me, I asked whether they had a Hyundai Genesis, because that is the only car which Avis carries now which has GPS installed as standard equipment, but ATL said they only had one in the entire ATL fleet, and it was already rented.

Cyan Oct 21, 2010 11:53 am

Reserved: Full-size
Received: Ford F-150 Extended Cab

Thought this was a mistake at first, went back to the counter and said, "I think there's been a mistake..." Confirmed that it was indeed an upgrade ^ Thought of asking for something smaller, then thought, "When will I ever get a chance to drive a pickup in Texas again?"

I can also confirm that I did not take this truck offroading in the Texas bayou and that I would never even think of driving it along the beach. :D

-RS.

wierdo Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cyan (Post 14987316)

One thing to watch out for when you end up upgraded to a pickup is that a lot of the free credit card insurance policies don't cover trucks, including pickup trucks like the F-150.

None of my Chase, Citi, or Amex cards do by default. I have the paid insurance option on my Amex, though, and that does cover pickups. Better to have the hassle of changing the card than the hassle of paying for any damage out of pocket or using my personal auto insurance.

IAHtraveler Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Cyan (Post 14987316)

I was in IAH a few times last week and they seemed to have LOTS of F150s and quite a few Suburbans, too. The one day last week when I asked for a "large suv", I could look around from the Preferred shed and see about 12 maroon or black ones without having to walk too far. Now if they only had that many CTS coupes or any Geneses (or Genii, depending on what online source you trust most), I would be thrilled.

ontherun Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm

This week - Location: SFO
Reserved: Intermediate
Received: 2010 Lincoln MKS

Arrived to find a Town Car in my assigned spot. I've added a note to my record declining the Town Car or Grand Marquis so I grabbed the RA and headed to the Preferred counter. In 5 minutes had a red MKS w/ 10k and a working Sat Radio

GNALUZU Oct 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Reserved: Full-size
Offered: Lincoln Town Car
Elected down grade: Saturn Vue

So, I flew into ORD last night after the delays. They had me in the Town Car, but that car is just way too big. I asked for something different and the Vue is all that they would offer me. In my opinion, it a multi level down grade. Cloth seats, no power to pass cars on the highway, no XM/Sirius, etc...

I should have gone back to ask for something different, but it as 9:30pm and I was already 3 hours late for a dinner meeting.

Live and learn...

z003y Oct 28, 2010 4:02 pm

3rd upgrade in a row, in YYZ. from Group B to Group G

Reserved: Compact
Received: 2010 Chrysler 300C

USirritated Oct 29, 2010 2:03 am

Originally Posted by z003y (Post 15032783)
Reserved: Compact
Received: 2010 Chrysler 300C

That is a truly impressive upgrade from compact to premium (or is a 300C a luxury class car?), to what do you attribute your luck?