FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   List your upgrades! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/595752-list-your-upgrades.html)

USirritated Aug 14, 2010 3:45 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14479038)
Really, 4 days is a week somewhere? I've noticed a lot more frequently that 6 days equals a week instead of the old standard of 5. The most recent example is in MDT where I picked up a car 2 hours ago. But one can usually find a coupon for a free day without much issues on such a long rental.

Yes, there are undoubtedly variations all over the place. I recently experienced a 4 day week in Las Vegas, and I was quite surprised. I called the Chairman's line later to ask, and I was told that it happens in very competitive markets, such as Las Vegas and Southern California, during non-peak periods.

trekwars2000 Aug 23, 2010 7:03 pm

reserved: Int.
received: Lincoln MKZ with 9K on the clock. This time the MKZ was a base model, no remote key, no auto wipers/high beams, but still had heated and cooled leather seats and was very nice. I'm liking the Lincoln over the Caddy now a days.

IAHtraveler Aug 24, 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by trekwars2000 (Post 14533955)
received: Lincoln MKZ with 9K on the clock. This time the MKZ was a base model, no remote key, no auto wipers/high beams, but still had heated and cooled leather seats and was very nice. I'm liking the Lincoln over the Caddy now a days.

I agree that the new Lincolns (NOT including the Town Car) are much better than the Cadillacs, with the only exception being the upgraded STS with the big engine. Otherwise, the Lincoln and Genesis are better cars.

ramalama8 Aug 24, 2010 7:53 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14536168)
I agree that the new Lincolns (NOT including the Town Car) are much better than the Cadillacs, with the only exception being the upgraded STS with the big engine. Otherwise, the Lincoln and Genesis are better cars.

MKZ, yes. MKS, no way. I got one one time in SLC - it was brand new (I was literally the first person to rent the car) and it was nice and all, but it felt really old-person-ish and not at all sporty. Plus, it's quite big.

IAHtraveler Aug 24, 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 14536533)
MKZ, yes. MKS, no way. I got one one time in SLC - it was brand new (I was literally the first person to rent the car) and it was nice and all, but it felt really old-person-ish and not at all sporty. Plus, it's quite big.

Personally, I'd take either Linc over a Caddy. Looking up the specs now, though, I think that every MKS that I've had included the "Technology Package" (rain-sense wipers, adaptive headlights, rear sunshade, forward sensors, push button start, etc). Even without those, I think the base is better than a basic CTS/STS. I will agree with you that the MKS feels very big and bulky, but I don't mind it at all, as long as it has enough pickup for me (heck, I loved the DTS when Avis had that boat in it's lineup). The only negative that really bothered me on the MKS is the very harsh torque steer on 2 or 3 of them.

USirritated Aug 24, 2010 11:52 am

Of course it is all a matter of point of view. I don't like the Lincoln's at all, and would take any Cadillac over a Lincoln sedan. Also, the Cadillacs are rated top 10 cars, and the Lincolns are not. I like all the Cadillacs, although if anything, the DTS is too big, to close the door, you have to step into the next country to reach it, but that is about my only complaint.

ramalama8 Aug 26, 2010 8:31 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14537210)
I think that every MKS that I've had included the "Technology Package" (rain-sense wipers, adaptive headlights, rear sunshade, forward sensors, push button start, etc).

Why don't more cars (in general, not just at Avis) have rain-sense wipers? I really like those. It's an unappreciated technology.

USirritated Aug 26, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 14550507)
Why don't more cars (in general, not just at Avis) have rain-sense wipers? I really like those. It's an unappreciated technology.

Rain-sense wipers are not yet standard in all cars, meaning they are still an option in most non-luxury, and even some luxury models, and until they become standard, like power windows and power door locks are in most cars, you won't find them in the rental car fleets.

trekwars2000 Aug 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000 (Post 14533955)

Reserved: Int
Rxed: Lincoln MKS with 11K on the clock and technology package. No sirius (guess it has expired). I called about 4 hours before arrival from my layover in ORD requesting a lincoln if they had it and it was waiting for me.

As for the last rental it was a MKS not MKZ I think, unless they are very similar. This car I have now was very similar (minus options) to the one I have now. Plus gas mileage on the highway is actually pretty good (I'd say 28 mpg-ish).

USirritated Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Reserved: intermediate
Received: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CLX

FLL is my home, but this is an insurance replacement rental, since my brand new Mercedes GLK350 was hit from behind while I was sitting at a red light! I spoke with the local manager to arrange delivery to my car dealer, he asked what I wanted, and I requested and received a 2010 Buick LaCrosse CLX with 1,185 on the odometer, loaded with everything except navi, sunroof, and V-6 (L-4 is standard, even in the CLX!) Other than being a bit underpowered, it is a VERY SWEET, and a VERY BEAUTIFUL CAR!

german_vielflieger Sep 6, 2010 6:37 am

Reserved: Compact
Received: Chevrolet Impala LT Full-Size

I didn't even ask for an upgrade, and at first didn't realize it was an actual upgrade (the exterior of the impala is pretty unimpressive.. oh well, so is the interior ;) ), but the V6 and satellite radio sure were nice.

GNALUZU Sep 15, 2010 8:22 am

Reserved: Full Size
Received: Cadillac CTS

I was dreading getting another Grand Marquis or Town Car. Went out to my spot and this was there. Has 18k miles on the odo, but the XM still works!

joediver Sep 15, 2010 8:26 am

Reserved: Intermediate x 2
Received: Cadillac CTS & Camaro SS :)

IAHtraveler Sep 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Got a Challenger R/T in SFO for ~ 12 hours this week... what a great car! It makes the Camaro SS feel like a pile of junk.

trekwars2000 Sep 19, 2010 8:45 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 14696024)
Got a Challenger R/T in SFO for ~ 12 hours this week... what a great car! It makes the Camaro SS feel like a pile of junk.

Is that you first time you got to get into it? That is the car my wife and I got, that had 7 miles on the clock, for our road trip to a Braves game from Vegas (in LA).