Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Use of a debit card / providing UK insurance details when renting in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.

Just had a slightly odd experience when renting at PIT.

Despite having paid in advance with a debit card, the agent said that "forbidden" and so a credit card had to be used for the whole transaction. Never had that before in 25 years of renting.

The agent also claimed that I had to have proof of car insurance in the UK. To be clear, that wasn't to show my insurance at home would cover a US rental (it wouldn't) but apparently to show I have car insurance per se.

The suggestion was if I didn't hold any car insurance in the UK, I couldn't rent from Avis.

All very odd. A case of an agent misunderstanding company policy perhaps?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And what if you did not own a car at all?

What was the outcome of your interaction with the Avis employee?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Originally Posted by guv1976
And what if you did not own a car at all?

What was the outcome of your interaction with the Avis employee?
I commented I already paid with a debit card, asked why me having car insurance in the UK made a bit of difference.

"I'm just telling you for your own information." Felt like the whole thing was being made up as they went along.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
He was talking absolute poppycock. However, whether these special rules apply to Debit Card payments I do not know. I never pay with a Debit Card as they are not always protected under Section 75? It's part of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.This does not apply to Debit Cards.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by rpjepson
I commented I already paid with a debit card, asked why me having car insurance in the UK made a bit of difference.

"I'm just telling you for your own information." Felt like the whole thing was being made up as they went along.
Avis's website has very vague language discouraging use of debit cards (and suggesting that they may not be acceptable at some locations).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.