Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis suspended ExpressExit program?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Avis suspended ExpressExit program?

Arrived into SAN, my third rental this past month, and the third time I'm not getting QR code in my app. Twice at SAN and once at FLL now

I get to the exit gate, and the QR scanner is taped over with a sign saying it's out of order. A chatty exit agent told me the system got hacked. People would create fake IDs, register for Avis Preferred, create a rental, generate a QR code and drive off the lot with the car, gone forever.

Is there any truth to this story? Is the program suspended or discontinued?

Last edited by junkDriver; Jan 10, 2024 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Interesting. I've found the ExpressExit non-functional more times than it is (at locations that have the setup): either my code won't read on my phone, or the site has a "do not use" type of note on the reader.

To become part of the Preferred system, one has to take their ID & card to a desk for verification before they can skip the counter in the future. Unless the desk agent doesn't catch the fake ID, I don't see how this is less secure than showing the (fake?) ID at the exit gate.

However, I have thought the QR code reader at exits is less secure as I can give anyone my login to Avis and they can drive off in "my" car. Sure, I have to trust them to give them my login, but that's definitely a loophole in my opinion.
SinglePapa2 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:28 pm

so what's the verdict, friends: Is ExpressExit in or out, come tomorrow? Does anyone besides AVIS have such?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
so what's the verdict, friends: Is ExpressExit in or out, come tomorrow? Does anyone besides AVIS have such?
Unfortunately, all 5 sites I've visited this year are sites that have never had the program. And no other companies but Avis have this, as far as I know.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure about currently, but last year the FLL location it wasn't working since at least the summer so its been off/dead there for a while.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:43 pm
lya

On my last week's rental, I still got the ExpressExit message but didn't see the option in the app and the machine was taped over too. I thought it was unique to that site but I guess not after seeing this post. I remember last using it without problem last fall.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:22 am

I think it’s been shutdown. I used to use it in NYC, WAS, Florida, ATL with success until late last year. Now all of those locations make you present ID on the way out. It’s a little slower but not a huge headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.