2024 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by safari ari
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: Genesis G70 AWD
Received: Genesis G70 AWD - Wasn't going to nitpick after coming in late
RDU is a crap-shoot after first shift. I've experienced the "we're not allowed to give CHM vehicles that have > 10,000 miles" (when asking for an Accord instead of the Cadillac they had me assigned to) and the "sorry, that's all we have available" when the lot is full and the app is throwing many suggestions, just not the car I wanted. However, during the day shift, the folks there are amazing.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
RDU is a crap-shoot after first shift. I've experienced the "we're not allowed to give CHM vehicles that have > 10,000 miles" (when asking for an Accord instead of the Cadillac they had me assigned to) and the "sorry, that's all we have available" when the lot is full and the app is throwing many suggestions, just not the car I wanted. However, during the day shift, the folks there are amazing.
This was late night ~11pm arrival, both weeks have been given pretty decent offerings on the app even coming in on some of the last bank of flights. Car this week has 15k miles on it.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: C1 Venture X, National EE, Avis PC
Booked: F Intermediate SUV (RAV4)
Offered: Buick Enclave. Late arrival..Asked for a car. Was offered something crappy like a Corolla. I said "Really? With PC?" He countered with "That's all we have other than the sports cars." I said "I'd take a sports car" - Offered a silver Dodge Charger R/T. The car has bald rear tires (and the fronts weren't much better), and absolutely REEKED of weed... To the point where if I got pulled over, I would be really worried.

Seriously, Avis. There's literally no way someone could get in to move this car without noticing the smell. Guess I'll be giving National a shot.

The upside is - When drivers in NC see a silver Charger coming up in their mirrors, they think it's a State Trooper.. They MOVE out of the way!
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:45 pm

Booked: Intermediate SUV
Offered: Ram pickup (uncovered)
Received: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe

I'm not sure what they were thinking when assigning me an uncovered pickup when arriving from Europe with luggage that I prefer to protect from the elements. Anyway, the Avis desk offered me the Grand Cherokee instead and I was happy with it as I needed the room when traveling with my family.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: intermediate
Offered: nothing. "See kiosk" grrrr
Received: after waiting 15 min in that stifling little hotbox "Preferred" kiosk, Ford Bronco.

Oh, OK, let's see what all the fuss is about... wait, this is a Bronco "Sport" which is a Ford Escape in butch drag. Fine, whatever. Next day, main screen dies and will not turn back on. Major rattles and clunks with only 14,000km. Yeah I could do without the screen but I am not a Toronto native and don't have my routes memorized.

I'm working close to Pearson so I took it back yesterday and exchanged for a Chrysler 300S. I know, it's an old-tech boat but they're far better than these Ford piles o' junk.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Booked: Full Size
Offered: GMC Terrain
Received: Lincoln Navigator (it’s huge).
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:56 am

LAX upgrade availability Question

I have a rental from 4/10 (10:00pm) to 4/12 at LAX. I have an intermediate booked (corporate) but I'm trying to get a comp upgrade to a wagoneer, tahoe, yukon, etc. Do you guys have any familiar experiences or what do you guys think are my chances? Does LAX give a lot of these full-size upgrades for PC members? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond

Booked: intermediate Jetta
Offered:
Received: Chevy bolt ev

could not change car in app and the line was too long in parking garage so took it. Was surprised to see an upcharge of $250 on the app details. When I called they said ev upgrades are not free. Then had to try a cs agent who promised a refund. 🥵🥵
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:38 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlinesSF
Status: PC I have a rental from 4/10 (10:00pm) to 4/12 at LAX. I have an intermediate booked (corporate) but I'm trying to get a comp upgrade to a wagoneer, tahoe, yukon, etc. Do you guys have any familiar experiences or what do you guys think are my chances? Does LAX give a lot of these full-size upgrades for PC members? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Comp upgrade from an intermediate car to a fullsize SUV? Odds are probably very low unless they have a lot of surplus of that category on-hand.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Apr 6, 2024 at 4:42 pm Reason: Moved reply from another thread where the OP cross-posted
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Booked: hybrid
Offered: Kia Sorento
Received: 2024 Ford Edge Titanium AWD, 316 miles, fully loaded, active XM

App also offered Hyundai Santa Fe, and I used to app to swap into my Ford. Inquired about a hybrid and was offered a Rav4 Hybrid, but the agent suggested the Edge was much nicer. He was absolutely right!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Apr 7, 2024 at 5:44 am
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
What’s considered upgrade?
seems like I always book intermediate and I basically can keep hitting refresh at airports till I see something I want.

At the local neighborhood avis. I book intermediate and they let me choose anything on the lot. (I rent from them once a month)

I tried everything there basically. From Ford Mustang EV to any type of SUV to Jeep 4xe plug in, and camero, challenger, charger, and mustangs.

They actually have some new EVs coming in soon and offered me to try them next time I rent. lol
Old Apr 11, 2024, 3:00 am

Booked Group L
Received Group M Nissan Qashqai

Last edited by mailliW; Apr 11, 2024 at 3:02 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RedElmo
What’s considered upgrade?
seems like I always book intermediate and I basically can keep hitting refresh at airports till I see something I want.

At the local neighborhood avis. I book intermediate and they let me choose anything on the lot. (I rent from them once a month)

I tried everything there basically. From Ford Mustang EV to any type of SUV to Jeep 4xe plug in, and camero, challenger, charger, and mustangs.

They actually have some new EVs coming in soon and offered me to try them next time I rent. lol
Any of the vehicles you mentioned are considered upgrades. An upgrade is something of a higher class (either by size or cost). So the minimum upgrade from intermediate would be a standard like a VW Jetta.

-J.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:53 pm

Received: "Cool Cars" 2023 Cadillac XT4, fully loaded, 60k km
Other App Options: None

Car was pre-allocated and receipt was pre-preprinted, as usual at this location.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by iheartpoints
Received: "Cool Cars" 2023 Cadillac XT4, fully loaded, 60k km
Other App Options: None

Car was pre-allocated and receipt was pre-preprinted, as usual at this location.
Good to know there are higher-spec'ed XT4s out there but wow that is high mileage (km-age?) for a Cadillac IMHO.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.