Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Offered and Received: VW Tiguan 1.5

In the USA, this would not be an upgrade, but I....think....it's an upgrade in Germany (someone more knowledgeable with local vehicle offerings chime in here). I like the Tiguan, but my lord the base 1.5 engine blows in Germany. The poor thing just sat there when I punched it on the Autobahn. It absolutely needs the 2.0 engine to be viable.

Also the usual weird mix of European options. Great driver aides -- lane departure, full blind spot warning, surround sensors, etc -- but cloth manual seats!
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Booked: Rav 4
Offered: Tesla
Received: BMW X5

My expected "Toyota Rav 4 or similar" was not available so agent tried to stick me with a Tesla. No thanks. Finally got X5 upgrade after threatening to cancel reservation entirely and take my chances as a walk-up with a competitor.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Has anyone noticed any upgrade patterns when reserving Full Size (Camry) vs reserving Full Size Hybrid (Prius??!?).

Renting for two weeks in SFO and both options are there at the same price on my corp code.

Setting aside the fact that a Prius is claimed to be full-size, does reserving a hybrid category nudge upgrades/offers in a different direction?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:35 pm

Booked: Full size
Offered: Nissan Rouge
Received: Yukon Denali

Refreshed a couple times with the same four options: Suburban pay upgrade, Rouge, Challenger R/T and Yukon Denali.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: 2023 Dodge Charger
Requested and received: 2023 Dodge Challenger GT

Probably should have just taken one of the low-mileage Chargers but I wanted a coupe. The Challenger was perfect for the day. Had 5/8 of a tank at pickup and returned with closer to 3/4.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Mar 18, 2024 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Offered: 2021 Hyundai Sonata
Received: App gave choice of 2024 mustang convertible, Cadillac XT5, GMC terrain, was finally offered and took Lexus Nx 300
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Offered: select from app
Received: 2024 Forde Edge SEL AWD, <1,200 miles

Originally selected a 1,100-mile base-spec Charger with XM, but turns out it had 21,100 miles and the XM was not active. I looked at the Charger GT that was also on the app and that had a ton of mileage on it as well. Ended up deciding between two 1,100-1,200-mile Edges with XM and took the one that was closer, even though the horn sounds stupid. At one point a 26k-mile XT4 popped up on the app for free and I kind of wish I took it. Upgrades on the app included $35/day for a Chrysler 300, Expedition MAX, Suburban, or Durango R/T (which was tempting). I would have preferred a Chrysler or Dodge but I'm very happy with the active XM and the leather heated seats, especially at night!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Mar 18, 2024 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:40 am
O62

Booked: Full-Size
Offered: 2022 Genesis
Received: Took the Genesis as I've never seen one in the rental car fleet. Had quite a few miles but still was a nice ride.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
At one point a 26k-mile XT4 popped up on the app for free and I kind of wish I took it.
You're not missing much! I had these a few times and they're extra-basic. Lack of standard heated seats is just the beginning of why this car is to be avoided.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by O62
Offered: 2022 Genesis
Received: Took the Genesis as I've never seen one in the rental car fleet. Had quite a few miles but still was a nice ride.
Which one? I've had the G80 a few times and it's a great car, but the G80 Electrified is truly amazing (as long as you don't need much trunk space). It's extremely comfortable, fast, good range, and a good looking sedan, which is hard to come by these days. The GV80 is also quite comfy and a great ride if you don't mind the mediocre gas mileage. The G70 is sporty and fun to drive but also thirsty. I sat in the GV60 Electrified in an Avis lot and it looked nice, but I didn't get a chance to drive it. If the GV60's cousin (Kia EV6) is any indication, I'd love the Genesis version as well.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
You're not missing much! I had these a few times and they're extra-basic. Lack of standard heated seats is just the beginning of why this car is to be avoided.
That's exactly why I didn't take it. I remember you or someone else posting about it.

-J.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:17 am
O62

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Which one? I've had the G80 a few times and it's a great car, but the G80 Electrified is truly amazing (as long as you don't need much trunk space). It's extremely comfortable, fast, good range, and a good looking sedan, which is hard to come by these days. The GV80 is also quite comfy and a great ride if you don't mind the mediocre gas mileage. The G70 is sporty and fun to drive but also thirsty. I sat in the GV60 Electrified in an Avis lot and it looked nice, but I didn't get a chance to drive it. If the GV60's cousin (Kia EV6) is any indication, I'd love the Genesis version as well.
It was the G70. Was thirsty but fun on the highway.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:13 pm

Offered: 2024 Honda Pilot
Received: 2024 Ford Edge (with 600 miles)

I actually went to the parking spot where my Honda Pilot was supposed to be and a Nissan Altima was sitting there... Instead of trying to figure that mess out I just switched to the Ford. One of the nicer cars I've gotten at Philly to be honest. In my past experiences, nearly every car at PHL is trashed.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by chartzilla
Offered: 2024 Honda Pilot
Received: 2024 Ford Edge (with 600 miles)

I actually went to the parking spot where my Honda Pilot was supposed to be and a Nissan Altima was sitting there... Instead of trying to figure that mess out I just switched to the Ford. One of the nicer cars I've gotten at Philly to be honest. In my past experiences, nearly every car at PHL is trashed.
Even as a CHM, I previously had meh experiences at PHL. But I had an issue once where I left something in the car and Juliet & Brenda happened to help me retrieve it. I took them each a small gift (can't remember but likely a Starbucks gift card). Unfortunately, Brenda isn't in the Preferred booth anymore, but Juliet is. She's the best employee I've found in the system since I became acquainted with her. She's always smiling to see me, often texts in advance to see which car I want, she gives enough elbow grease to my (and assumed to other CHM) cars that she now has shoulder trouble. Once I was in PHL with my daughter and Juliet took her to all the "nice" cars on the lot and showed her the features to ask what car she wanted. Made my daughter's week and she still talks about Miss Juliet.

Unfortunately, Juliet's daughter took a job in NJ so she's no longer with Avis. But Brenda is and she's always very pleasant to deal with. There's another gentlemen at the preferred booth that I've gotten to know through Brenda and he is always amazing as well. Because of they treated me after the once that I asked for help and got to know them, I try to take Krispy Kreme or something whenever I can get to PHL. Andre at the return desk is just as great as Brenda and Juliet, but I don't get to see him as frequently as he shuttles cars often.

So while I can't say you'll get amazing cars if you take them donuts, even very small gifts are memorable to your regular 'service providers' and likely will make a difference. Large airports see many CHM on weekdays and likely dozens of PC members, but doing something outside the box might help you stand out.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Offered: Genesis G70 AWD
Received: Genesis G70 AWD - Wasn't going to nitpick after coming in late

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.