Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:37 am

Booked: Intermediate
Offered : Nissan Sentra, Kia Forte (IIRC), Kia K5 (upgrade), Jeep Gladiator (upgrade)
Received: Jeep Gladiator, exchanged after a few hours for a Genesis G70

Was traveling with three other people, so needed a big enough trunk to stow six carry-ons and a checked bag. Took forever for any cars to show up in the app and by the time any did, the pickings looked slim. I'd have taken the K5 (have never driven one) and we'd probably have made do, but it had 68K miles on the odo. Finally, as I was about to get in line to ask for alternatives, the Gladiator popped up with under 10K miles, so I happily grabbed it. Couldn't get CarPlay to work and we had some trouble getting out of the lot (apparently, I took one with AZ plates and was meant to take one with WA plates instead, but I grabbed what was in the indicated spot, so, good job, PHX Avis lot attendants), but it got us to our hotel fine while reminding me of all the reasons I don't like Wranglers (aerodynamics of a brick wall being first and foremost). It also made an awful grinding noise with the wheels turned all the way left, so I used that as an excuse (not that I really needed one) to swap it out a few hours later. Walked around the lot looking for something interesting and didn't really find anything apart from a new Prius (HEV, so not the "fast" one), a couple of G70s and G80s and a BMW 330i with FL plates that looked to be at least a couple years old. I still asked for it, but was told it needed brakes. Asked for a G70 - one had already been reserved, but there was another one parked nearby. Only a 2.0T AWD, so not as much of a rocket ship as the 3.3T I drove in L.A. last year, but still plenty fast and really nice inside, as well. My only complaint was the "tablet" infotainment screen that creaked awfully on less-than-smooth roads. Not something I'd be happy with as an owner of an ostensibly luxury make with fewer than 5K miles on the odometer.
jizen likes this.

Last edited by highlanderfil; Jan 22, 2024 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:27 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: compact manual
Offered: n/a
Received: "intermediate" Nissan Sentra which has grown the size of a last-gen Altima

It's fine. Has Carplay. Traffic here is horrific so I was appreciative of the upgrade.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by whiskeyplease
+1 on mollymadeline's question about intermediate SUVs.

I accidentally posted this in the 2023 thread a couple days ago and any insight would be appreciated: I'm new to Avis PC, just status matched from Hertz. I reserved an Intermediate SUV (RAV4 or similar) at SLC next week. With the larger SUVs reportedly excluded from PC upgrades, anybody know what I'm likely to be offered? Obviously looking for 4WD/AWD in SLC in January. Thanks in advance.
What did they end up giving you?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:06 pm

Booked: Full size
Offered: Corolla Cross (lol)
Received: initially swapped to a QX80 in app but needed more room so I swapped to a Yukon Denali (in app). Had to refresh the app about a dozen times
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:21 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Booked: Full-Size
Offered: 2022 Dodge Challenger AWD with 22,000 miles on the odometer
Received: 2024 GMC Terrain SLT AWD with Nevada plates and 3,000 miles on the odometer. I'm fairly certain the Challenger Hemi R/T isn’t available with AWD and wasn't interested in a V-6 GT or SXE, plus it was raining. Alternatives offered in the app included a Pacifica Minivan with 40K miles, a Genesis G80 sedan with 50K miles, and a Tesla 3.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 5, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Avis PC, National Executive
Status: none - it was Budget and they did not cared about my PC status with Avis (Europe based)
Booked: Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape)
Offered: Honda CRV - totally messed up, 50K+ miles, key fob not working, several errors on the screen. I flagged up the issues to the lady at the exit point and she mentioned that is not her job to receive such questions or complains (???) so I went back to the lot and a lot employee saw the car and told me that what they offered was a disgrace and he asked for one minute to get a new car for me. Super friendly and super fast.
Received: 2023 Dodge Durango R/T AWD - 14K miles - Nice and comfortable
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: C1 Venture X, National EE, Avis PC
Booked: Group B (Vauxhall Astra hatch)
Offered:Had to check in at the desk. Was offered a few SUV's. I said I prefer a car. Gave me the choice of a Fiat 500L or a Mercedes CLA.petrol
Received: Duh.. The Merc. It was fairly beat though. 40k miles, All 4 tires were different brands and 2 were at the wear bars, a big scratch on the driver's door, and the filthiest rear window I've seen this side of an SUV with a labrador in the hatch. Oh, and a "Top up windscreen wiper fluid" message at start-up. How the hell is that missed during prep?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: intermediate
Offered: "see kiosk" grrrr then a Toyota 4Runner (NO), then an Accord with 66,000 miles
Received: Chevy Malibu w/13,000mi, cigarette stink, and a missing side mirror housing, but better than the others.

The 4Runner is an ancient, slow, thirsty, noisy pile of sadness. The Malibu isn't horrible, but I'm unsure why GM bothers to make this thing because nobody other than fleets buys them. Cheap hard plastics inside, thrashy little over-taxed turbo 1.5L 4-banger engine, groaning CVT, ugh, why bother? Once up to highway speeds, it's a cushy cruiser, but does absolutely nothing well.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xkmo
Booked: Group B (Vauxhall Astra hatch)
Offered:Had to check in at the desk. Was offered a few SUV's. I said I prefer a car. Gave me the choice of a Fiat 500L or a Mercedes CLA.petrol
Received: Duh.. The Merc. It was fairly beat though. 40k miles, All 4 tires were different brands and 2 were at the wear bars, a big scratch on the driver's door, and the filthiest rear window I've seen this side of an SUV with a labrador in the hatch. Oh, and a "Top up windscreen wiper fluid" message at start-up. How the hell is that missed during prep?
Glad to see that Avis UK also pre-smears all windows with a greasy rag someone found on the floor of the oil change pit...
Auto Enthusiast and Xkmo like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:29 pm

PC
SFO
Booked Group F( RAV 4 OR similar)
Offered and took: Ford Edge Titanium

I had registered for avis quick pass but was advised to proceed to preferred desk via in app message. It was my first rental in US. I have irish license
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
PC
DFW
Booked Group F (RAV4 or similar)
Took in App: 2023 Ford Edge SEL AWD with 7700 miles

Cars it tried to give me was a 2022 Buick Enclave with 60K miles. Then it tried to give me 2021 Ford Expedition w/o any mileage number. Was probably like 100K by this time. Refused refused and took the Edge since it had low mileage and was 2023. The Edge drove fine for rental car - would never buy it. We both hated the very large portrait screen in the dash. Portrait does not work well with Carplay. Then the finnicky onscreen climate controls.

PP (friend rented)
STL
Booked Intermediate (Jett or similar)
Got in Booth: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0T AWD with 7600 miles

App was being finicky. Offered 2023 Altima and a bunch of crappy Malibus, and some minivans and pickups. Tried to book the Altima and a CX-5 and never would confirm. Went into the booth and the agent gave us G70 and said make sure to say nice things in the survey. Into the trip, we discovered one tire was jacked up to 48PSI while the others were like 3-4lbs too low. Then the low fluid washer warning kept coming up so went to Target and got a bottle of fluid and took all 1G of it.

This Genesis was a very nice car especially with 2022 interior refresh. Impressive.

Last edited by CApreppie; Feb 27, 2024 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:49 pm
lya

Booked: Full-size
Offered: Chevy Malibu and Nissan Altima to choose at the counter
Received: Chevy Malibu
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP75k, Marriott Titanium
Offered: Ford Edge with Ecoboost, 600 miles
Received: Refreshed a couple times, saw a bunch of Minivans, Dodge Hornet, CX-50 and Hyundai Konas go by, picked up a Model Y AWD with 15k miles.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Booked: Intermediate
Offered: on app, nothing besides "see agent"
Received: New Chrysler 300

Despite the app fail, was given a premium without asking. Bad weather that night, foggy and wet, sketchy drive into downtown Hfx. Appreciated the upgrade, and all Avis counter agents should be that friendly.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:03 pm
lya

Offered and received: GMC Terrain SUV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.