Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Returning car late, can they charge whatever they want?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

I booked a Budget car through Expedia.com (USA), in France. Between when I booked it and when I picked it up, plans had changed and I would have to return the car a few hours late.
I understand that can cost me an extra day's rental, no problem. When I mentioned this to the guy in France, he said he could change the reservation if I wanted, but now it would be the French rate and the extra day would cost me the equivalent of 5 days rental! I said no thanks.

Worried about what they would charge me I eventually phoned Budget France and they basically said they could charge whatever they want for the extra day but couldn't tell me exactly how much because there was no manager present.

Is it really the case that rental agencies can charge anything they want if you bring back a car a few hours late? I'm renting for 13 days and paying about 23 euros a day. They wanted 150 euros extra to change it to one more day. I intend to just bring it back late and see what happens. If they overcharge me I'll take it up with Budget (USA) or Expedia.

Any thoughts, experiences, advice?

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:18 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

There are no guarantees, but in the vast majority of cases we’ve seen, returning late will result in your rental being adjusted based on your current rate plan. If you’re paying €23 per day and you return a day late, then you should be charged an additional €23 (plus tax/VAT). That’s the way it typically works.

Safe travels!

Last edited by AutoSlash; May 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Old May 1, 2022, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but as I said, the staff in France were telling me otherwise. I have since returned the car and the woman at Beauvais Airport told me I will be charged a late fee but couldn't tell me how much or when. Great service Avis/Budget!
Old May 1, 2022, 1:49 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Did you not receive a final receipt when you returned the vehicle? That should be the final word in the matter, despite what the local staff says.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Nope, they said they won't know what the charge will be until a manager is available.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Update: For my 13-day rental I was charged US$25 a day. When I brought the car back a few hours late they charged me US$187.
Avis can expect a chargeback on my credit card.

Be very aware when dealing with Avis or Budget!
Old May 5, 2022, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, what they ultimately charged is what you'd said in your OP.

David
Old May 5, 2022, 4:59 am
Original Poster

That was what I would've been charged if they had cancelled the contract and reissued it with a different daily price. I did not agree to that. As far as I know, companies can't charge whatever they want without some sort of agreement by the customer.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:10 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by rbakker
Update: For my 13-day rental I was charged US$25 a day. When I brought the car back a few hours late they charged me US$187.
Avis can expect a chargeback on my credit card.

Be very aware when dealing with Avis or Budget!
They charged you $187 total, per day or extra over the original reservation?

That was what I would've been charged if they had cancelled the contract and reissued it with a different daily price. I did not agree to that. As far as I know, companies can't charge whatever they want without some sort of agreement by the customer.
At least with Avis.com, when you make a reservation, in the booking process, the website shows what conditions must be met for that rental (mins/max days, Sat night keep, etc). If you stay within those terms, I've never had Avis charge "what they want", just the daily/hourly rate, plus any potential small late fees. However, if you don't stay within those terms, then yes, it completely reprices the rental and that can basically be any rate they want as you violated the original terms.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

They charged $187 extra, for that one day I was late (actually a few hours). For the rest of the rental the daily rate was $25. Apologies for not being clear.

"I've never had Avis charge "what they want", just the daily/hourly rate, plus any potential small late fees." Do you consider a $187 (or 7-day charge) a "small late fee"? Me neither.

" if you don't stay within those terms"
I'm not sure what terms I didn't stay within. If someone brings a car back late can they charge whatever they want? Why not $1000 a day?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by rbakker; May 5, 2022 at 8:03 am
Old May 5, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Update: called Avis/Budget customer service at 800-352-7900 and chose the International option (the people at the President's Club number were of no use).
The guy there sounded surprised at what had happened to me and assured me I would get my money refunded. Faith is (temporarily) restored but we'll see how this pans out.

The lesson remains: watch out with bringing back cars late in Europe. If you can, extend the rental agreement before you pick up the car if you know you could be late.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:46 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

" if you don't stay within those terms"
I'm not sure what terms I didn't stay within. If someone brings a car back late can they charge whatever they want? Why not $1000 a day?
Based on the wording at Avis.com, they have the right to charge whatever they'd like, without limitations. I'm not saying I agree with their ability to charge whatever they want, but seems they have the right to based on this.

Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Luckily even Avis Customer Care doesn't agree with that. Or so they said.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Update: My credit card has now been charged an additional $44 by Avis. Hopefully this is part of a two-step process in which they retract the $187 fee for being a few hours late when the day rate is $25.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:21 am

Worried about what they would charge me I eventually phoned Budget France and they basically said they could charge whatever they want for the extra day but couldn't tell me exactly how much because there was no manager present.

Is it really the case that rental agencies can charge anything they want if you bring back a car a few hours late? I'm renting for 13 days and paying about 23 euros a day. They wanted 150 euros extra to change it to one more day. I intend to just bring it back late and see what happens. If they overcharge me I'll take it up with Budget (USA) or Expedia.
Just so I get it right: You had a prepaid reservation through expedia, or was it "pay on return"? For the latter, I believe in most cases the charge for an additional day is similar to the average daily rate of a rental - although in my experience certainly not always! For a typical 35€/day weekend rental I've seen additional day charges between 25 and more than 100€, either directly on the rental agreement or the Avis app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.