Wiki Posts
Search

Avis charged me $23 for 0.2 gallons of gas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Avis charged me $23 for 0.2 gallons of gas

[Rant begins] Just completed a two day rental of a Ford Edge Ecoboost SUV at MSP (upgraded from a Full Size booking). I'm PC and rent from Avis frequently. At the end of the rental I filled the gas tank and drove 3 miles to the Avis return area. The Avis attendant simply waived me along stating that he would take care of everything and that I'd be emailed a receipt.

The receipt arrived in my email a few hours later and the total cost was about $23 more than what I'd booked. It turns out that Avis determined that the fuel tank had 0.2 gallons less in it than when I picked up the car. They proceeded to charge me $2.00 for the actual gas, plus a $16.99 Fuel Service Fee, plus various taxes on top of those for a total of almost $23 ($115 per gallon net).

Needless to say I called Avis and had the charge removed.

Just a friendly warning/lesson that maybe folks need to start overfilling their vehicles when they return at MSP. [Rant Complete]
Tanic and lgormley like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
[Rant begins] Just completed a two day rental of a Ford Edge Ecoboost SUV at MSP (upgraded from a Full Size booking). I'm PC and rent from Avis frequently. At the end of the rental I filled the gas tank and drove 3 miles to the Avis return area. The Avis attendant simply waived me along stating that he would take care of everything and that I'd be emailed a receipt.

The receipt arrived in my email a few hours later and the total cost was about $23 more than what I'd booked. It turns out that Avis determined that the fuel tank had 0.2 gallons less in it than when I picked up the car. They proceeded to charge me $2.00 for the actual gas, plus a $16.99 Fuel Service Fee, plus various taxes on top of those for a total of almost $23 ($115 per gallon net).

Needless to say I called Avis and had the charge removed.

Just a friendly warning/lesson that maybe folks need to start overfilling their vehicles when they return at MSP. [Rant Complete]
Sorry about that. You probably had a car with this: Gas tank level "sensor"?

David
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Yep agreed. This is not a MSP issue.
Avis Fuel Surcharge Master Thread
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Ahhh... So Avis is doing this across the board.

As an engineer, and a numbers guy I highly doubt that the fuel level measurement systems in Avis' cars meet Minnesota's (or most other states) weights and measurements standards for commerce. If Avis wants to charge their customers an effective rate of $115 per gallon of fuel not returned they should be subject to the same measurement accuracy qualifications and inspections that every gas station in the state is subject to.

What a complete scam...
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Ahhh... So Avis is doing this across the board.

As an engineer, and a numbers guy I highly doubt that the fuel level measurement systems in Avis' cars meet Minnesota's (or most other states) weights and measurements standards for commerce. If Avis wants to charge their customers an effective rate of $115 per gallon of fuel not returned they should be subject to the same measurement accuracy qualifications and inspections that every gas station in the state is subject to.

What a complete scam...
No disagreement but that's the scam their running right now.

David
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Sorry about that. You probably had a car with this: Gas tank level "sensor"?

David
I must have one of those my most recent Avis rental, because on mine the total cost dropped by a couple dollars because I "topped it off" to somewhat more than it was fueled up to before.

But isn't it technically impossible for everyone to top off to more than is in there?

So while I understand being charged a little less or a little more depending on how the exact fuel level looks on a car with such a sensor, it seems a little crazy to charge a "re-fueling fee" (on top of the little more) for just the small top-off difference.

Sure, if someone returns the car so that it doesn't read "full" (which the renter can see), they agreed to be charged a "re-fueling fee".

But if there's no way for the renter to see if they've topped off "enough", it seems unfair to charge a $16.99 (or whatever) "re-fueling fee" for just small top-off differences.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I must have one of those my most recent Avis rental, because on mine the total cost dropped by a couple dollars because I "topped it off" to somewhat more than it was fueled up to before.

But isn't it technically impossible for everyone to top off to more than is in there?

So while I understand being charged a little less or a little more depending on how the exact fuel level looks on a car with such a sensor, it seems a little crazy to charge a "re-fueling fee" (on top of the little more) for just the small top-off difference.

Sure, if someone returns the car so that it doesn't read "full" (which the renter can see), they agreed to be charged a "re-fueling fee".

But if there's no way for the renter to see if they've topped off "enough", it seems unfair to charge a $16.99 (or whatever) "re-fueling fee" for just small top-off differences.
For the cars with said sensor, you can see what Avis is seeing via the app. That being said, the data in the app doesn't update immediately so you may need to open and close the app (multiple times) to get it to refresh. This can be frustrating when you've not much time left to get back to the rental car drop off and go through the whole sequence required to insure that the car is what you think it is by getting a receipt.

David
rmc1, sdsearch and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DELee
For the cars with said sensor, you can see what Avis is seeing via the app. That being said, the data in the app doesn't update immediately so you may need to open and close the app (multiple times) to get it to refresh. This can be frustrating when you've not much time left to get back to the rental car drop off and go through the whole sequence required to insure that the car is what you think it is by getting a receipt.David
Part of my rental checklist is now screenshooting the app fuel level out reading and return reading, in addition to photos of the odometer and a video walk around before and after. Gotta keep up with the scam charges.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sure sounds like a scam to me. Pretty bold of Avis to be pulling this crap. Guess they figure if they get a few people to not challenge it then they're making out.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Yes it is a PITA as it involves getting customer service involve to remove it after the fact but at least they do remove it.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I’m currently awaiting a $22.xx ($18.99 + taxes) refund for a recent rental. I used one of my “two days free” coupons for a rental while my car was in the shop. (The $3.35 in fees was cheaper than a couple of ubers.)

Only drove the car 60 miles while I had it. Filled it up before return, and when I returned it I knew I would need to stop by the counter because of the “low mileage fuel fee” Avis automatically assesses when you drive less than 75 miles and they assume you can’t be bothered to fill it up.

Anyway, agent fussed with it for 10 minutes and said she’d need to talk to her supervisor. They took a photocopy of my fuel receipt and assured me they’d fix it by the end of the day. Got a call ten minutes later that they couldn’t fix it without taking off the coupon, so they’d have to wait 24 hours and then submit for a refund, which will take 5-7 business days to appear on my statement.

Between the low mileage fuel fee and the faulty gas tank sensors, Avis has consistently demonstrated a contempt for their customers and a lack of integrity when it comes to surcharges and fees. With exception to my former local station manager (who retired last year), there isn’t a single Avis staff member or computer system that I would trust to consistently do the right thing. If it weren’t for the convenience of my local station, I would have jumped ship to a different batch of highway robbers.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Part of my rental checklist is now screenshooting the app fuel level out reading and return reading, in addition to photos of the odometer and a video walk around before and after. Gotta keep up with the scam charges.
Yep - I also always do walk around the car (and inside) pointing out (with my finger) any marks of any type. Also remember to be sure that the video shows something of the airport/pickup location so that is part of the documentatiom.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
I make a point of filling up to exactly "full" iand literally not one penny over. I keep the ignition turned on so I can see the lever change as I pump and I stop every dollar or so and wait for the lever to catch up before I continue. I also document everything and if they end up charging me and I have to call them and get it reversed, fine. But I'm never letting it go.

If Avis needs to pinch those pennies, so should I. They aren't getting one extra ML of gas out of me.
born sleepy and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by twitch76
Between the low mileage fuel fee and the faulty gas tank sensors, Avis has consistently demonstrated a contempt for their customers and a lack of integrity when it comes to surcharges and fees. With exception to my former local station manager (who retired last year), there isn’t a single Avis staff member or computer system that I would trust to consistently do the right thing. If it weren’t for the convenience of my local station, I would have jumped ship to a different batch of highway robbers.
But Avis is still better than Hertz these days, so I guess that is something. I stopped using Hertz altogether and switched over to Avis only.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Two words:

lawsuit

(Ok, one.)
Just one of those away from the end of this.
The one where a 76-year-old grandmother trying to overfill spills gasoline on herself, the car, and the ground while Uncle Ernie lights his Camel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.