Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Got an Avis rental cheaper on SAS car booking engine compared to Avis.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Non US/CAN resident here, need a car at LAX in during the Christmas holidays. I went to avis.com and the price was crazy, then I went to a page on my SAS reservation and got a different car at about half the Avis's price with Avis.

I know they have BRG on prepay cars but I don't want to do prepay as I still don't know whether I can even fly to the US due to Covid.

Is there anyway to add my preferred profile so I can skip the line? Or would avis bother matching the price?

Here's the booking site: https://sas.carsbookingengine.com/

Thanks a lot in advance!
jj_lgkr likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:16 am

On the main page you can add your customer number if you click "Do you have a discount code?" before booking. When you do this, the reservation will show up on your profile on the Avis website.

Strangely, I have to select "AWD number" instead of "AVIS preferred" for this to work.

Last edited by straat; Nov 24, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by straat
On the main page you can add your customer number if you click "Do you have a discount code?" before booking. When you do this, the reservation will show up on your profile on the Avis website.

Strangely, I have to select "AWD number" instead of "AVIS preferred" for this to work.
Thanks! I think the price went up after I booked it. Now I'm wondering if I can get my preferred profile attached to the reservations.

Last edited by nacho; Nov 24, 2021 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks! I think the price went up after I booked it. Now I'm wondering if I can get my preferred profile attached to the reservations.
Yes you can, I have done this with Avis reservations made though the BA website.

I just contacted Avis customer service with the reservation details.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExAbz
Yes you can, I have done this with Avis reservations made though the BA website.

I just contacted Avis customer service with the reservation details.
Thanks a lot! I'll try to contact Avis to see if they can help me.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
It seems that the website is not working any longer?

Anyone try lately?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
It seems that the website is not working any longer?

Anyone try lately?
Just tested by trying to do a booking and it works.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Knocked off >60% for a Kauai (LIH) booking later this year, thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You are such Darlings - I have no business posting this but thanks to this SK site I have made a one-way booking from YUL to YQB that was impossible on Avis and was loads cheaper than going direct to other companies. I do not even have to pay until I collect the car. Thank you all!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
Got 50% of a car by Avis for this summer in BC. The only think which makes me wonder is that when I got the confirmation email, took the Avis number which is in there and opened my reservation on the Avis.com site where everything appears fine whithout my residency which is by default DK and it cannot be changed.
So I'm wondering if I can use the above link with my SAS number ( I'm living in FR) without problem when I pickup the car ?
Thanks for any advice
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by source05
Got 50% of a car by Avis for this summer in BC. The only think which makes me wonder is that when I got the confirmation email, took the Avis number which is in there and opened my reservation on the Avis.com site where everything appears fine whithout my residency which is by default DK and it cannot be changed.
So I'm wondering if I can use the above link with my SAS number ( I'm living in FR) without problem when I pickup the car ?
Thanks for any advice
It shouldn't matter - but I was prepared to speak in Danish to the agent

I think you might be able to bypass the counter if you put in your Aviz Wizard number - but then you won't get the same promo miles...I was supposed to get 1k EB points, but only got 500 - because at check-in (with an agent) at EWR I gave my Presidential info, got an upgrade - but then must have lost out on 500 EB points...

(Ended up with a not-so-nice vehicle compared to the one I saw, was locked?? Avis field workers reserving some for themselves??)

Originally Posted by nacho
Just tested by trying to do a booking and it works.
It seems it blocks US IP addresses, which is why I had the problem.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Apr 5, 2022 at 9:25 am Reason: Added info...
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:08 am

Yesterday I made a booking for SNA with budget , not linked to an account. When trying to do online check-in on budget.com, the site asks for a Danish drivers license. I was not able to change this to something else. I could use the rate code on the reservation to find the low pricing directly on budget.com, but only when choosing Denmark as residence.
The reservation confirmation also mentions:
This reservation was made using a corporate BCD (Budget Customer Discount Code) that requires validation of eligibility. Please be prepared to produce your company ID, business card, or a recent email with the company’s email domain (e.g. @xyzcompany.com) for employment verification purposes when picking up your vehicle.
Avis had more or less the same pricing. I made a second booking with Avis, linked to my account. This one seems fine, however it is priced in Danish kroner. No problem for me to pay DKK instead of USD but usually these reservations are priced in local currency. I wonder what would happen if I get a paid upgrade.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by straat
Yesterday I made a booking for SNA with budget , not linked to an account. When trying to do online check-in on budget.com, the site asks for a Danish drivers license. I was not able to change this to something else. I could use the rate code on the reservation to find the low pricing directly on budget.com, but only when choosing Denmark as residence.
The reservation confirmation also mentions:

Avis had more or less the same pricing. I made a second booking with Avis, linked to my account. This one seems fine, however it is priced in Danish kroner. No problem for me to pay DKK instead of USD but usually these reservations are priced in local currency. I wonder what would happen if I get a paid upgrade.
Just to clarify - only your Budget reservation had a employer ID requirement, right?

Avis agent seemed fine when I presented myself in person...
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
[QUOTE=SuperFlyBoy;34138797]It shouldn't matter - but I was prepared to speak in Danish to the agent

I think you might be able to bypass the counter if you put in your Aviz Wizard number - but then you won't get the same promo miles...I was supposed to get 1k EB points, but only got 500 - because at check-in (with an agent) at EWR I gave my Presidential info, got an upgrade - but then must have lost out on 500 EB points...

I just called Avis and the operator told me that there want be any issue as it is commun for third party to put their residency and not the renters one, as far as I have of course a FF card with SAS.
Hope he gave a right info but his explanation makes sense to me because. I don't speak a single Danish word if they ask me
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just to clarify - only your Budget reservation had a employer ID requirement, right?

Avis agent seemed fine when I presented myself in person...
Yes, only budget. And not in the SAS confirmation mail, not on the budget Manage Reservation website, only in confirmation mail sent from the budget.com Manage Reservation website.

I went to get the car from SNA Avis today. The app was constantly crashing (maybe Friday 5.30 PM too many people try to access the system at once?..) while waiting at the baggage carousel and when it did provide me options, they were mostly smaller cars in lower (F reserved) groups. I was afraid there would not be many cars available at all or that it would be very busy.
However when I went to the preferred desk I was assisted immediately and given two options, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. I picked one, showed my European, non-Danish license and the receipt showed a USD price so I guess my contract is USD now.

Happy with 8 days rental for less than $200

Last edited by straat; Apr 9, 2022 at 1:39 am Reason: Pick up info added

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.