Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortening a reservation when sold out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:52 pm

If it were a small location, like a city parking garage with a set number of spaces allocated for rentals, surprise early returns could mean no place to put the car.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If it were a small location, like a city parking garage with a set number of spaces allocated for rentals, surprise early returns could mean no place to put the car.
It's an international airport. And besides, this explanation doesn't make sense if the rationale for changing is "we have absolutely no cars available".

I'll accept it as an system-based idiosyncrasy and move on. It's certainly not the only illogical rules I've encountered in travel...
Auto Enthusiast and tapuach like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: MP, AA, EVA
Originally Posted by matxms
I tried shortening an Avis rental at ABQ this week, no dice. And I wanted to shorten it on the back end, dropping off a day earlier. They told me they couldn’t do that because they were sold out. That one makes no sense to me. I just canceled and used Uber for the trip.
When I've wanted to rent for a specific length of time and there are no vehicles available, I pad the reservation. I'll add 3 or so days to the length of the reservation. This usually get's me the car. I then return it at my originally requested length. I've never asked to shorten a reservation, just returned it. I've even had our corporate travel agent recommend this.
matxms likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I want to shorten my 3-day rental at ANC on independence weekend to 2 days. Clearly, I have the same sold-out problem. I read on rentalcars.com even I return 1 day early, I still pay for the whole trip. So I guess I'll skip the Alaska railroad and stay in my car for my last day there. Glad someone explained the inventory system here. I can't imagine what the situation would be during that weekend when everyone is over selling their cars.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I want to shorten my 3-day rental at ANC on independence weekend to 2 days. Clearly, I have the same sold-out problem. I read on rentalcars.com even I return 1 day early, I still pay for the whole trip. So I guess I'll skip the Alaska railroad and stay in my car for my last day there. Glad someone explained the inventory system here. I can't imagine what the situation would be during that weekend when everyone is over selling their cars.
Sometimes returning early comes with an additional charge!
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You agreed to have the car in your possession until the end of your contracts. Having it on their lot messes up things.
But it's not as if you are legally obligated to keep the car for that long. They just reserve the right to charge you extra if you return it at a different time.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That’s true.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
The issue is they can't guarantee they can keep the car you said you'd pick up on Monday until your new arrival date on Tuesday. When 20 people who have reservations for pickup on Monday who they don't have cars for see your car...and say "I'll take that one"...they won't say "well, that's reserverwd for a guy tomorrow". And if if the agent says that for the first 10 people....they'll cave for the 11th guy. Then your car is gone.

It's a messed up, illogical situation at the moment. But it is what it is.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I have another slightly illogical situation coming up in August. I have a 13 day reservation that I wanted to extend by a day.

I tried to modify my reservation as I thought it would be better for me, as I would know the added cost, and better for Avis, as now they would well ahead of time that the car will not be available for the next renter on my original return date. But, as noted above, there is "No Availability" to book the vehicle class I have reserved over the dates I am intending to keep the car. In reality, I will already have the vehicle, and will be able to keep it as long as I need. I would have though that Avis would prefer knowing as soon as possible if I am going to keep it beyond the original reservation date, but they don't seem to be equipped for that.

So I was told to just inform the agent when picking up the car that I will be keeping it an extra day.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
In reality, I will already have the vehicle, and will be able to keep it as long as I need. I would have though that Avis would prefer knowing as soon as possible if I am going to keep it beyond the original reservation date, but they don't seem to be equipped for that.
So you have to be a little careful here. Two things:
1. If you return late, they are usually within their rights to reprice the whole reservation. So you might wind up paying a whole lot more for the extra day.
2. Technically, if you ask them to keep late and they say "no", you are in breach of contract and are possessing the car illegally. In theory, they could sic the police on you. In practice, that isn't likely to happen for just one day, but if for a longer period, they can and sometimes do involve law enforcement.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
So you have to be a little careful here. Two things:
1. If you return late, they are usually within their rights to reprice the whole reservation. So you might wind up paying a whole lot more for the extra day.
You contract on pick up will say extra hour $xx extra day $yy - that's the rate you will be charged.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsuo
when you pick up car just tell the agent that you plan to return earlier or simply return sooner.. there are cases when this makes things more expensive (eg shortened stay no longer qualifies for weekly rate) but if rate type stays the same on non prepaid rentals you should pay less if you return earlier..
I just reduced 8 d rental to 6 d in ANC on arrival (with national) and saved one day..
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: too many
or just prepay :-) In my european experience this does not reprice the reservation
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by azepine00
You contract on pick up will say extra hour $xx extra day $yy - that's the rate you will be charged.
This tracks with what I was told by the Avis CS representative, and also the rental location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.