Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortening a reservation when sold out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Shortening a reservation when sold out

Hi. I have a 10-day rental reserved and would like modify to 9-day, as I will now be arriving a day later than originally planned. When I try to modify online, the system says "no cars available on selected dates", which I guess I get because they are sold out. But really I just want the car I rented but for one less day. I don't even mind paying for the 10th day, I just don't want them to give away my car when I don't show up on the original reservation date.

What's the best way to handle this? Reserved with Budget if that matters.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Call and they should be able to change it without issue.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Thanks. I tried and waited on hold for about 40 minutes before giving up. If it sounds like that will work, I will give it another go.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Update: I finally got through, and Budget is telling me they can't shorten the reservation because "they are sold out". They were unfazed by the logical inconsistency that all I am trying to do is shorten my reservation by a day, thus giving them one more day of inventory, not less.

Am I correct to assume that if I show up a day later, they will have given away my car?

Anyone have any ideas? HUCA? Twitter? Help!!
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Update: I finally got through, and Budget is telling me they can't shorten the reservation because "they are sold out". They were unfazed by the logical inconsistency that all I am trying to do is shorten my reservation by a day, thus giving them one more day of inventory, not less.

Am I correct to assume that if I show up a day later, they will have given away my car?

Anyone have any ideas? HUCA? Twitter? Help!!
It's not a logical inconsistency. They determine availability based on pickup date and drop-off date. It sounds like they just won't have enough cars available on the day you want to pick up.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That’s how car rental works
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
It's not a logical inconsistency. They determine availability based on pickup date and drop-off date. It sounds like they just won't have enough cars available on the day you want to pick up.
They'll have the car the day before and were prepared to rent it to me, but not the next day? That's is definitely not logical. It's like if I had a hotel room reserved for the 1st through the 7th and my flight got delayed and I arrived on the 2nd and they said "sorry, no rooms available". Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Mr. BoH; Jun 12, 2021 at 9:38 am
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:36 am
Suspended

They'll have the car the day before and were prepared to rent it to me, but not the next day? That's is definitely not logical. It's like if I had a hotel room reserved for the 1st through the 7th and my flight got delayed and I arrived on the 2nd and they said "sorry, no rooms available". Doesn't make any sense.
It makes perfect sense if you understand inventory management. They may not have anywhere to put the car, for example, if they are not expecting it to be there.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:56 am

They don't have a specific car waiting for you that they can just hold for a day. They expect to have about x-number cars and about x-number reservations on any given day, but due to extensions and unplanned one-ways they don't really know. If you're not ready to pick it up on Monday, they'd rather give a reservation to somebody who can rather than wait a day for you. I'm not saying that's the way it should be; it's just the way it is.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It makes perfect sense if you understand inventory management. They may not have anywhere to put the car, for example, if they are not expecting it to be there.
I'll admit to not understanding inventory management. But not having anywhere to put the car seems pretty unlikely if they are "completely sold out".
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
They don't have a specific car waiting for you that they can just hold for a day. They expect to have about x-number cars and about x-number reservations on any given day, but due to extensions and unplanned one-ways they don't really know. If you're not ready to pick it up on Monday, they'd rather give a reservation to somebody who can rather than wait a day for you. I'm not saying that's the way it should be; it's just the way it is.
Yeah, I guess I am learning this is going to be frustrating. I'd happily "start my rental" on Monday and pay them for the day and just take physical possession on Tuesday. Seems like that should be a win for them, but I guess not.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:41 am
Suspended

I'll admit to not understanding inventory management. But not having anywhere to put the car seems pretty unlikely if they are "completely sold out".
It's a matter of cars coming in and out. It's obviously not perfect but the systems are set up that way. I think your best bet is to try and speak with the station manager (again).
Auto Enthusiast, Mr. BoH and m907 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:11 am

I tried shortening an Avis rental at ABQ this week, no dice. And I wanted to shorten it on the back end, dropping off a day earlier. They told me they couldn’t do that because they were sold out. That one makes no sense to me. I just canceled and used Uber for the trip.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matxms
I tried shortening an Avis rental at ABQ this week, no dice. And I wanted to shorten it on the back end, dropping off a day earlier. They told me they couldn’t do that because they were sold out. That one makes no sense to me. I just canceled and used Uber for the trip.
See, this is even more illogical. Practically speaking, how would they even stop you from returning the car early, deny you entrance to the parking lot?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:48 am
Suspended

You agreed to have the car in your possession until the end of your contracts. Having it on their lot messes up things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.