Wiki Posts
Search

Cannonball in a Rental Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Cannonball in a Rental Mustang!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32917037/a-man-drove-solo-across-america-in-25-hours-55-minutes-in-a-rental-mustang/ (CW: language)

A man named Fred Ashmore rented a Mustang GT (see photo below), took out the passenger seat, added some fuel tanks, and drove across the country in under 26 hours.

One man, one car, a whole lot of gasoline, and an alleged 25-hour, 55-minute elapsed time. That’s an average speed of nearly 108 miles per hour.

Avis is blurred out, but it's clearly an Avis/Budget booth.

-J.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any rental insurance that would cover something like intentionally removing a seat???
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Why should there be? Removal of the seats is totally reversible. I have removed the back seat in a similar car once so my dog could fit in the back which it didn't because the back seat was too deeply countoured with a huge center console, and whenever I need to transport stuff over great distances in a van I rent a passenger model with seats (because these, unlike cargo models, are available with unlimited mileage) that then are removed. This usually requires some disassembly, but a nothing that can't be done with a screwdriver and/or a socket wrench. Staff at Avis has even offered to store them for me.
The Cannonball guy didn't do a one-way rental but went straight back home in that Mustang (presumably at more law-abiding speeds), removed the extra fuel tanks, reinstalled the seats and returned the vehicle to where he got it from.
Apart from the odometer showing the miles and some 'interesting' stats (120 mph average speed, haha...) on the computer, nobody would know the car has been converted into a rolling gasoline depot after the fact.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:52 pm

I wonder why he didn't do it as a one-way. Might have cost more in normal times, but this was in the era of nationwide coronavirus $49/day one-way specials. And much faster and more relaxing coming back.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'm not sure if it was a round-trip or a one-way (I am not sure if he got it at OKC or BOS), but I do know it ended at OKC, at which time the car was put up for sale, and he actually bought it.

-J.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:00 pm

It seemed like he picked up and returned to Manhattan's Red Ball Budget garage. The car had TX plates, though.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if not lucky one can spend a quarter of this time just between LAS and LA.. avoiding any meaningful traffic seems miraculous to me..
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.