AVIS using 3rd party GPS tracker

Old Aug 26, 18, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

AVIS using 3rd party GPS tracker

Is it normal for AVIS to have 3rd party GPS trackers installed in their cars? Not talking about built in from the factory, like on-star, etc... but the ones that connect to a battery.

Reason I'm asking, I noticed the other day a car I rented, had a 3rd party GPS tracker connected to a battery.
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:57 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Yes, it's fairly common for the rental companies to have GPS trackers installed on their cars:

Is Your Rental Car Spying on You? The Story of Connected Rental Cars

Do You Know Where Your Cars Are?
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Plat; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I wonder what would happen if a customer were to disconnect this 3rd party device
Old Aug 27, 18, 10:43 am

Probably nothing as it could be not transmitting for a variety of reasons such as malfunction, dead battery, being in an underground parking garage etc. We'd probably recommend reconnecting it before rental return through so you're not accused of tampering with it.
Old Aug 27, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
I believe all AVIS vehicles do. Otherwise, the app wouldnít have the functionality or visibility into the vehicle.
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by xfire22 View Post
I believe all AVIS vehicles do. Otherwise, the app wouldnít have the functionality or visibility into the vehicle.
Many do, but not all. I've got a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup right now that has no app functionality as it's not one of their "connected cars".

On August 8th of this year, Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon said, "We reached the 100,000 connected car level just last week, a significant milestone towards connecting our entire global fleet." Note that this is up from 65,000 vehicles in Q1 2018.
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Many do, but not all. I've got a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup right now that has no app functionality as it's not one of their "connected cars".

On August 8th of this year, Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon said, "We reached the 100,000 connected car level just last week, a significant milestone towards connecting our entire global fleet." Note that this is up from 65,000 vehicles in Q1 2018.
Did not realize that. Although Iíve just started using Avis due to PC status, assumed all of them had it.
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

You guys are talking about different type of "connection". The way app communicates with the vehicle, is through the built in system, like on-star, or other similar.

That's not the tracking system I asked about. I asked about a small box, that has a GPS chip in it, connected to the battery, and it tracks the location, that's it. It's not connected to avis app, it's not connected to engine module, to check vehicle status, etc. Just location. The box is not made by the manufacturer, it's a 3rd party tracker, I believe provided by fleetmatics.
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by zheka View Post
You guys are talking about different type of "connection". The way app communicates with the vehicle, is through the built in system, like on-star, or other similar.

That's not the tracking system I asked about. I asked about a small box, that has a GPS chip in it, connected to the battery, and it tracks the location, that's it. It's not connected to avis app, it's not connected to engine module, to check vehicle status, etc. Just location. The box is not made by the manufacturer, it's a 3rd party tracker, I believe provided by fleetmatics.
The app does not utilize manufacturer systems such as OnStar. Many vehicles have nothing of the sort.

It uses ID System telematics which Iím pretty sure is what you found. That is, unless someone else is tracking you.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...get-Group.html

Old Aug 27, 18, 11:01 pm

Also see the second link we referenced above. There's a quote from an Avis/Budget/Payless franchise in NJ that has 32 locations that do their own thing. You have to keep in mind that while it often looks like one company from the outside, there are corporate locations, licensees, franchisees, etc. They may all be doing things differently, so you can't really make blanket statements about what the policy is for company ABC.
Old Aug 28, 18, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanx for the replies. Some interesting things I learned.
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
So just to reienforce whatís been said for the most part so far. There is a cost $100-$200 per vehicle to install plus monitoring monthly for GPS fleets. This is per a friend of mine that owns two Avis franchises. He said that 100% of his cars have GPS live tracking and will automatically flag a car that has say gone outside of the state or whatever. He also said that most other franchises he knows, at least smaller ones where losing a single car can be a major hit to their fleet also do GPS tracking. I donít recall the specifics but he makes a lot more renting a car their franchise owns as opposed to a corporate car that was dropped off at his location. Because of the cost reason you can understand why corporate for the most part doesnít bother with true GPS in most instances BUT as costs continue to go down Iíd fully expect for all cars to ultimately have full GPS tracking at some point in the future Iíd guess 5-10 years.
Old Jul 30, 20, 3:34 am

Programs: Na
Removing Avis Tracker

I recently purchased an Avis rental. That’s a whole other story dealing with this MESS of a company. How can I determine if they’ve left some type of tracking device on/in the car? How do I remove it if there is one present? Removal something a novice like me can do or should I have some pro do it? If so, what type of pro? Someone at a Jeep dealership? Someone at a computer fixit shop? Audio shop?
Old Jul 31, 20, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Asvan1w View Post
I recently purchased an Avis rental. Thatís a whole other story dealing with this MESS of a company. How can I determine if theyíve left some type of tracking device on/in the car? How do I remove it if there is one present? Removal something a novice like me can do or should I have some pro do it? If so, what type of pro? Someone at a Jeep dealership? Someone at a computer fixit shop? Audio shop?
Why would you need to remove a tracking device? If you don't like their policies, find another rental company.
Old Jul 31, 20, 7:39 pm

Programs: Na
For a moderator, I’m surprised at your response. It wasn’t the least bit responsive so you don’t know. Why respond, then?

‘’oh I see why. You can’t read or comprehend either. I’m not renting. As my FIRST sentence stated in quite simple English, I PURCHASED the car. As to why remove, the car now belongs to me and I don’t need some previous corporate owner or one of their imbecile employees messing around and seeing where my car is currently located. Not any of their business and any device of theirs is not welcome on MY car.

I’ll say goodbye now as I’m sure you’ll delete this and drop my subscription.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: