Avis points - how do I use them?

Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Avis points - how do I use them?

Does anybody know how to use Avis points with their new program? I have approximately 5800 points and can find no information on what I can redeem them for and how to do so. Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
You price out a rental on Avis.com and after you select a car type, it should give you an option along the top to pay for some/all in points.

What's strange is calling in to make a reservation, I got wildly different points rates. (1800/day for F rental vs 950/day on the phone) YMMV.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Option to select points.....

I had the same issue today asking myself how i could use the 1350 points they are threatening to expire. Well, the answer is that I CANNOT use any because you need 2400 for a free day. Just thought i would update the news here in case people are still frustrated with HOW you redeem the points (when you have enough to do so). Not a very generous program.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:36 am

totally frustrated with Avis. I cannot see where I can use points. Before it gave me an option. Now since the new website, I don't see it anymore. App nor computer. And when you call in, you use an insane amount of points for one day. And on top of that you still have to pay the taxes!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Gerda Blackburne
totally frustrated with Avis. I cannot see where I can use points. Before it gave me an option. Now since the new website, I don't see it anymore. App nor computer. And when you call in, you use an insane amount of points for one day. And on top of that you still have to pay the taxes!
What's the "insane amount" of points? I've used them as low as 600/day before but have seen where they're over 4000/day on other occasions.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to make a reservation (and I am logged in, can see my account activity and have more than enough points to cover). Yet, the drop down does not appear. Has this changed recently?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it seemed Avis was having problem with the website at that time. I tried later on Monday and the point thing showed up.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Been trying for the past couple of days to rent a car at LAX using points and the drop down won't show up. I have 2800 points which I assume is plenty for a one day rental. Or am I missing something?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Avis' points requirements are "dynamic." Someone above posted they wanted 2400 for a day, and I'd guess LAX would cost among the most amount of points, so unfortunately I don't think 2800 is "plenty." Ridiculous, I know.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Avis' points requirements are "dynamic." Someone above posted they wanted 2400 for a day, and I'd guess LAX would cost among the most amount of points, so unfortunately I don't think 2800 is "plenty." Ridiculous, I know.
Just tried calling in to make a reservation and was told it was an issue on their end that they couldn't make the reservation either. Have to call back tomorrow and speak to a customer service rep to make the res. We shall what happens tomorrow.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:01 am

are Avis points useless? since you cant book it?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Website dropdown still hosed...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mattack4000
are Avis points useless? since you cant book it?
I'm thinking Avis points are pretty useless when they are asking 1 million points for a free day. Evidently they're cutting me a deal and not charging the final 15 hours, so the total for this 4 day rental is only 3 million instead of 4 million.
Attached Images  
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Slow learner
Website dropdown still hosed...
No better one month later. I click the dropdown and get a small blue square.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to book a last minute reservation the other day and the dropdown did not show up. I called and the agent booked it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.