Wiki Posts
Search

Avis United Kingdom - OFFICIAL Flyer Talk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:39 am
Company Representative, Avis UK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by switch007
Hi! When I book online, I do not select the Fuel Up Front option. When I arrive the desk, I tell them again that I do not want it. Why do they then take a deposit equal to a tank of fuel? When I return, I always get asked for the receipt and told "good thing otherwise we would have kept the deposit".

If I somehow persuade the agent not to take the fuel up front, what should the deposit be?

Thanks
Hi There,

In the United Kingdom the deposit by credit card is always the fuel deposit ( approx £70 ).

This means that you receive the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and you must ensure to return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel to receive your deposit back.

When you return the vehicle they will just check that the fuel gauge shows full to confirm.

The above is the standard in the UK.

If you want other options e.g. return the vehicle empty...here's more info: http://www.avis.co.uk/drive-avis/car...s/fuel-upfront

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Dan
Avis Social Media
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MM00LL2
Thanks for your update Dan.

Ideally I'd opt for option 1 collect at the airport and I obviously am happy to accept the additional cost.

Update: I booked via call centre. Awaiting confirmation my request to collect car at ANE will be accepted by the local Avis office @ the SNCF station.
Dan have you really not looked at this Forum for the last 7 business days?
If you'd like me to follow up with your booking don't hesitate to ask.

I was on vacation for a week, so my apologies for the delayed response.
Our social media support hours are Monday to Friday 0900-1800.

Thanks,

Dan
Avis Social Media
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Originally Posted by AvisUK
If you'd like me to follow up with your booking don't hesitate to ask.

I was on vacation for a week, so my apologies for the delayed response.
Our social media support hours are Monday to Friday 0900-1800.

Thanks,

Dan
Avis Social Media
Hi Dan,

I'll wait the prerequisite 72hrs for a response from Avis Angers if there's no joy I'll PM you.

Cheers
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:25 am

Hi There,

In the United Kingdom the deposit by credit card is always the fuel deposit ( approx £70 ).

This means that you receive the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and you must ensure to return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel to receive your deposit back.

When you return the vehicle they will just check that the fuel gauge shows full to confirm.
It is never presented that way by the staff. There is never any mention of foregoing the deposit if the car is not bought back full. I have had staff lie and say "it is a damage deposit that happens to be equal to a full tank of petrol".
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:48 am
Original Poster

It is never presented that way by the staff. There is never any mention of foregoing the deposit if the car is not bought back full. I have had staff lie and say "it is a damage deposit that happens to be equal to a full tank of petrol".
Hi There,

Thank you for flagging. Which Avis location(s) are you referring to? I will bring this up with them.

On your next booking, please send me your full requirement via private message here or [email protected]

I'll find our best rate for you and I'll monitor your entire customer journey from booking to returning the vehicle. Will also contact the location ahead of your booking to query their deposit policy and that you will not require the 'return empty' option fuel option.

Hope this will give you peace of mind moving forward?

Thanks,

Dan
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:27 am

Hi There,

Thank you for flagging. Which Avis location(s) are you referring to? I will bring this up with them.
Thanks Dan. I think you know I'm referring to all of them though. Staff themselves actually have commented that they wish they took an actual damage deposit like other companies...

Apart from the fuel-damage-deposit debacle, I generally have positive experiences with Avis in the UK.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Hi Dan,

Can you confirm the Avis Select fleet in Ireland (DUB) really consist of just one option, the Nissan Qashqai?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:31 am

Hi Dan,
I have a concern with my booking via BA.
Booked fly drive on BA website for MCO, have from that site a pre paid voucher, but when I log into my Avus Preferred account, it tells me the booking is "to pay on collection" €758

But worried I will get to the airport and that amount will be taken from my credit card even though I will have a BA pre paid voucher.......
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by AlanA
Hi Dan,
Booked fly drive on BA website for MCO, have from that site a pre paid voucher, but when I log into my Avus Preferred account, it tells me the booking is "to pay on collection" €758

But worried I will get to the airport and that amount will be taken from my credit card even though I will have a BA pre paid voucher.......
AlanA, I had the exact same query a few weeks back for a trip to ATL in October.

I emailed CS and (after 2 weeks) got the response that because the rental is booked through a third party (BA), the booking will only 'credit' upon collection of the vehicle. I was told to refer to, and take, my BA voucher.

In the mean time, I'd contacted the Avis Preferred Helpline. Their agent confirmed that their system showed that the reservation had been paid in full and there were no monies due at collection. Furthermore, they e-mailed me an Avis rental voucher reflecting the amount already paid. So, now I have two vouchers- which one should I present??

Last edited by shonerm; Apr 23, 2016 at 12:10 am
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:05 pm

GBP to USD Conversion problem with my recent rental

Beware - Booking made from Avis USA website for UK locations:

I made a booking on Avis.com to pick up an Avis rental car from London City Airport from Apr 18 to Apr 23. Avis US website showed me an estimate of $487.05 for 5 days of rental and therefore, while picking up the car from London City Airport, I simply accepted the offer to be billed in USD thinking that I will be charged the same amount even if the agreement said the total charges are GBP 334.98 and I will also get a receipt in USD. But after my rental was over, I got a receipt only in GBP for 334.98 and no sign of a USD receipt and I also noticed on my US chase sapphire credit card statement that I was charged $501.73 which was a little bit more than what Avis was supposed to charge. When I carefully checked my UK avis agreement paper, I saw, instead of Avis converting GBP to match with the original USD amount they used there currency conversion rate and increased the rate to $501.73

When I called up Avis customer care to ask for a receipt in USD or reduce my amount to $487.05, they did not acknowledge this situation and said that I was only billed GBP 334.98 and my chase card must have imposed some foreign transaction fee and therefore I was charged the extra amount and as I was not billed in USD therefore I can only get a receipt in GBP. I tried to reason with Avis Rep that how come I have a Avis UK agreement with exact amount of both GBP 334.98 and $501.73 which was also charged to my credit card, this must have originated from Avis itself otherwise how on the earth can Avis predict on its agreement what chase will charge me. Finally when I demanded to speak to a supervisor, the rep agreed to take a complaint and give me a reference number.

I agree this is a very small amount to be bothered about but my point is if Avis promised me a rental in USD then please honor that rate. Instead of honoring that rate, Avis decided to overcharge and does not even provide a receipt in USD of what was charged, and to add insult to injury, Avis Rep does not even bother to understand the issue and simply refuses to acknowledge that I was charged in USD and maintains that Avis only billed me GBP because the receipt says so.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by kevinbyte
Beware - Booking made from Avis USA website for UK locations:
I agree this is a very small amount to be bothered about but my point is if Avis promised me a rental in USD then please honor that rate. Instead of honoring that rate, Avis decided to overcharge and does not even provide a receipt in USD of what was charged, and to add insult to injury, Avis Rep does not even bother to understand the issue and simply refuses to acknowledge that I was charged in USD and maintains that Avis only billed me GBP because the receipt says so.
It sounds like the classic Dynamic Currency Conversion "scam". Avis Madrid did this to me.

Desk agents are also very good at distracting you: using a pen to make huge circles, pointing out phone numbers for breakdown, return address etc, then immediately segueing in to your signature. It could be interpreted as fraud. I love the part about the agent pretending not to know about it, when it is written in to many, many of Avis' contracts...

The Dynamic Currency Conversion scam is well-discusssed on this site, and everywhere else. Look out for it in the future, everywhere you go.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dan. I think you know I'm referring to all of them though. Staff themselves actually have commented that they wish they took an actual damage deposit like other companies...

Apart from the fuel-damage-deposit debacle, I generally have positive experiences with Avis in the UK.
Hi There,

Thank you for the warm feedback regarding our offices.

However, I do wish to ensure that all your future experiences are positive ones.

Please send your future booking requirements via inbox here or [email protected]
I'll get you our best available rate and monitor your customer experience.

Thanks,

Dan
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
Hi Dan,

Can you confirm the Avis Select fleet in Ireland (DUB) really consist of just one option, the Nissan Qashqai?

Thanks.

Hi There,

I've spoken to DUB and they've confirmed that the only 'Select Series' group they have is Group M - Nissan Qashqai.

They do have other premium groups with BMW's and Audi's, but they're 'or similiar' and not guaranteed make and models.

For your next booking quote, let me know the full requirements via private inbox here or [email protected] referencing 'FlyerTalk'. I'll locate see what I can do on the price for you.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by AvisUK; Apr 29, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanA
Hi Dan,

Hi AlanA,

Please send your reservation number in this format 1234-5678-GB-1 via private inbox here or [email protected] I'll take a look for you.

If you don't have your reservation number in the above format, please provide name on booking and date of collection.

Thanks,

Dam
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shonerm
AlanA, I had the exact same query a few weeks back for a trip to ATL in October.

I emailed CS and (after 2 weeks) got the response that because the rental is booked through a third party (BA), the booking will only 'credit' upon collection of the vehicle. I was told to refer to, and take, my BA voucher.

In the mean time, I'd contacted the Avis Preferred Helpline. Their agent confirmed that their system showed that the reservation had been paid in full and there were no monies due at collection. Furthermore, they e-mailed me an Avis rental voucher reflecting the amount already paid. So, now I have two vouchers- which one should I present??
Hi Shonerm,

If you'd like me to take a look, please forward all details to [email protected] referencing 'FlyerTalk'.

I'll get everything clarified for you.

Thanks,

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.