Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget - USAA discount denied

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Budget - USAA discount denied

My friend wanted to rent a car from Jersey City to EWR and the going rate was a ridiculous $500 for one day. Adding the USAA code reduced it to $50. So I had her sign up for USAA the same day and at the counter she was denied the rental because they requested either a physical USAA card or for her to "download the app and show them statements / activity in her account." She showed them her email and USAA number but that was not enough. She did not have much time so she had to take Uber instead of renting which basically added $100+ to the cost. One thing that might have tipped off the budget staff is that she called earlier (before signing up for USAA) and was quoted the $500 price (so the staff knew she would be might be coming in to rent the car and were aware of the non-discount price).

Did anyone else experience this? Is this consistent with Budget policy? If not, is there anything she can do at this point (e.g., call corporate and complain, etc?).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I can't comment on Budget's policy (although most car-rental companies reserve the right to insist on proof that one is entitled to use a particular discount code), but unless I had a lot of luggage, I would have taken the PATH train from Jersey City to Newark Penn Station, and then the #62 bus to EWR. Should take about 45 minutes, and cost less than $5.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I can't comment on Budget's policy (although most car-rental companies reserve the right to insist on proof that one is entitled to use a particular discount code), but unless I had a lot of luggage, I would have taken the PATH train from Jersey City to Newark Penn Station, and then the #62 bus to EWR. Should take about 45 minutes, and cost less than $5.
Thanks for the suggestion, but she also had a lot more travel to do in the area, including going to a wedding in nyc and has lots of luggage.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If she had been staying at a hotel in Jersey City, I probably would have tried leaving the luggage behind at the hotel, gone out to EWR, and picked up a car from there -- assuming that the rental rates for an EWR pickup/return were reasonable. Then, stop at the hotel to pick up the luggage either before or after the trip into Manhattan.

Unfortunately, weekend car rentals in and around the NYC metropolitan area tend to be pricey -- especially in the Summer.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like the OP's friend tried to scam and lost.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Doesn't sound like a scam to me, if she actually joined USAA. But until she can produce proof of joining, Budget is within its rights to deny the special rate.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Well by the time she went to get the car from Budget that she was denied for, it was too late as she had to be somewhere in an hour. If we had known this would have happened we would have done the same. Anyone have any experience specifically with USAA being denied?

In light of this I called USAA to get my card. For some reason they are sending me one in 3 weeks, whereas my fiancee called as well and two different agents told her she needs to have something with them (bank account or insurance) to actually get physical card.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Doesn't sound like a scam to me, if she actually joined USAA. But until she can produce proof of joining, Budget is within its rights to deny the special rate.
And what is proof? She provided the a confirmation email and a membership number. If they want physical card, and USAA apparently does not send these out to members without USAA bank accounts / insurance, then there's a problem. USAA website clearly states that non-military members are still eligible for USAA discounts which includes car rental https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rent..._SD_car_rental
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"If they want physical card, and USAA apparently does not send these out to members without USAA bank accounts / insurance, then there's a problem."

Agreed. But that sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed with USAA, not with Budget.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Budget's own website is pretty clear that a USAA membership card may be demanded by the renting location in order to get the USAA rate and benefits:

"Requirements for Renting

What is the USAA/Budget Customer Discount (BCD) Number?

USAA members should use Budget Customer Discount (BCD) number Y126500 (telephone) Y265001 (online) or Y126505 (mobile device) with each reservation to ensure maximum benefits are received.

To secure your rates, you may be asked to present your USAA affiliation card at the time of rental." (Bolding mine.)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by drekin
My friend wanted to rent a car from Jersey City to EWR and the going rate was a ridiculous $500 for one day. Adding the USAA code reduced it to $50.
Is it just by some quirk of circumstances that they're offering such a discount? According to the USAA site the discount at Budget is ordinarily just 20%.

Speaking of Budget, I've been fooling around with their site all afternoon trying to join Fastbreak and make a reservation (since I already do have a USAA card LOL). They have me set up a user name (but then they don't mention ahead of time how many characters its supposed to have), then I pick a PIN, and answer a security question... But there's also a RapidRes number that I have to write down and use when I log in. Finally, once I'm logged in, there's no way to link my account so I earn airline points until the very end at the last step before Confirming my purchase.... Then it won't recognize my airline's program number! And I have to open a new window to look up my flight number since apparently its mandatory to include this. What if I decide to rent a car locally without flying in?

Stupid, cumbersome system.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
And this sounds like libel. Be careful, my friend.

The friend indeed had signed up for USAA.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unless you are truly deserved for the discount and you are able to submit the proof upon request (as many don't ask for proof), there are always possibilities that the discounts can be denied.

I am not saying that OP's friend has done anything wrong. But if she can't submit the proof upon request, then she can't really blame Budget in denying the discount.

(AFAIK - USAA is still a financial entity. If OP's friend only has the membership but without an account, I believe she could still login online to attempt opening accounts. But I could be wrong.)

IMHO - the best way to use a discount code: skipping the counter. The least question asked.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:43 pm

I am a limited member with USAA (no military affiliation). I was told by USAA to call one of their VIP car rental phone numbers every time a counter agent tries to resist the USAA discount since a limited member cannot get a membership card.

AVIS: 1-800-525-7539
Budget: 1-800-824-6289
Hertz: 1-800-654-9141
Enterprise: 1-877-223-5838
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:02 am

Thanks for sharing that!

Originally Posted by emilio911
I am a limited member with USAA (no military affiliation). I was told by USAA to call one of their VIP car rental phone numbers every time a counter agent tries to resist the USAA discount since a limited member cannot get a membership card.

AVIS: 1-800-525-7539
Budget: 1-800-824-6289
Hertz: 1-800-654-9141
Enterprise: 1-877-223-5838

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.