Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The rates make no sense at all. While the old Avis First certificates definitely favored those who had numerous short rentals rather than less longer rentals, at least you knew what you were getting.

I've yet to ever see the sub-2000 point rates that others are getting. I think the lowest I've seen is 2400 points for anything up to Elite SUV at SFO. $1920 spend (which is like a 2-3 month mini-lease at my rates depending on if taxes and fees count) to get 2400 points which I can turn in for 1 day if I'm "lucky". A complete non-factor in whether or not I choose to rent with Avis.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesun
The rates make no sense at all. While the old Avis First certificates definitely favored those who had numerous short rentals rather than less longer rentals, at least you knew what you were getting.

I've yet to ever see the sub-2000 point rates that others are getting. I think the lowest I've seen is 2400 points for anything up to Elite SUV at SFO. $1920 spend (which is like a 2-3 month mini-lease at my rates depending on if taxes and fees count) to get 2400 points which I can turn in for 1 day if I'm "lucky". A complete non-factor in whether or not I choose to rent with Avis.
I am corporate captive - we can't get miles for our rentals so this is better than nothing. i wonder why people who have choice will choose this instead of airline miles.

It would be much more customer-friendly if they say each point is worth x cents redeemable for whatever rate you qualify. Of course, looking at how they transitioned off the old program, you can tell they don't really care about what customers feel. They just want to give people the impression they have something and can screw the customer with the non-transparent redemption algorithm any time they want.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by username
I think the point of this whole thread is that there is no award chart and it is random
I've read through the AVIS website and then on FT. How do you even use the points? Is there any way to search for rentals or is it an option you get once you make a reservation to use points for an upgrade, GPS, etc.?

This has got to be one of the most pointless loyalty programs that I've been part of. Yes you collect points....but how do you use them?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I've read through the AVIS website and then on FT. How do you even use the points? Is there any way to search for rentals or is it an option you get once you make a reservation to use points for an upgrade, GPS, etc.?

This has got to be one of the most pointless loyalty programs that I've been part of. Yes you collect points....but how do you use them?
You just go like you're making a normal reservation and it gives you the option to pay for some/all of it with points (but still paying taxes). If you don't see that option, you probably don't have enough points. After however long it's been since the switch and being Avis First, I don't think I've had the ability to reserve more than one day with points.

I'd estimate that the weekend coupons were about 20x better than the points. I think it was something like 24 rentals = 12 weekend days with the coupons and not having to pay taxes, now I can get 1 day and pay taxes on it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils
You just go like you're making a normal reservation and it gives you the option to pay for some/all of it with points (but still paying taxes). If you don't see that option, you probably don't have enough points. After however long it's been since the switch and being Avis First, I don't think I've had the ability to reserve more than one day with points.

I'd estimate that the weekend coupons were about 20x better than the points. I think it was something like 24 rentals = 12 weekend days with the coupons and not having to pay taxes, now I can get 1 day and pay taxes on it.
I have seen some decent redemption values in low season but outside the low season, it is really bad. The tax thing is super annoying. I wonder if Avis really submits those taxes to the states.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anybody find a way to add an airline/hotel partner number to the Wizzard profile???

All I see is the option to join point system. I did select that, in the hope it would take me to a next step to select/add partner information - to no avail.
I then deselected the point system option.
Strangely, I got an email confirming the selection points. But no message, when I deselected it. Sofar I spent a ton of time on this, and I am extremely frustrated with this process!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton, Avis
Opt-out?

Pretty disappointed here. 3 trips, 16 days in the last two months and only 800pts...including the 250 sign-up bonus. Reading this, it looks like a few more days might get me a cup of coffee.

Is there a way to opt out of this program and have points applied to AA or Hilton Honors? I have to book through Carlton Wagonlit.

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
I was looking to make a one day reservation in DEN. The rate was $36.00 and I would need 8,200 points for a one day free rental. To me these points are near worthless
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just did my first Avis points redemption and I think I'm pleased (totally unexpected).

Quoted a 10 day convertible (Mustang or like car) in Kona, HI in Nov (TG stay) at $365 (pay now). Option to pay with 6300 points plus $24 base rate + $119 tax, for $222 savings.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
I was looking to make a one day reservation in DEN. The rate was $36.00 and I would need 8,200 points for a one day free rental.......
Originally Posted by hdporter
.....Quoted a 10 day convertible (Mustang or like car) in Kona, HI in Nov (TG stay) at $365 (pay now). Option to pay with 6300 points plus $24 base rate + $119 tax, for $222 savings.
Doesn't make sense. Is there an an award chart available?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TerryK
Doesn't make sense. Is there an an award chart available?
Very little about the reward program makes sense on the surface. And, no, there isn't a fixed award chart; the number of Avis Preferred points required for a comp rental is based partially on price and, much more significantly, whether they expect to rent out most of their full class fleet on the requested dates.

Frankly, they're loathe to comp a car that otherwise stands a strong likelihood for cash rental. Even taking this into account, I'm surprised by my results for this HI rental.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by TerryK
Is there an an award chart available?
Funniest thing I've read all day

Very little about the reward program makes sense....
Ding ding ding!

the number of Avis Preferred points required for a comp rental is based partially on price and, much more significantly, whether they expect to rent out most of their full class fleet on the requested dates.
I haven't been able to find any correlation to price. And sometimes nearly everything is sold out of a location, but the points required are very low. Other times, the prices are sky high (meaning fleet utilization should be high), but points are 600/day (as I found for an upcoming rental). I can't seem to find any correlation and wish Avis was more open about their points<->$$ rates.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, got an e-mail today from Avis that said

NOW YOU CAN REDEEM REWARDS FASTER
• A rental day reward now starts at just 700 points, with no blackout dates.
• Accessories including SiriusXM Radio®, GPS, Child Safety Seats, and Roadside Assistance are now just 250 points per day.
and points to https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...uspoints_na_na

Except I have had 1 rental in the winter in a cold area for 600 points a day
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold
Rental rewards start at 700 points with no blackout dates...but when I try to book at JFK, it says I need 3500 points for the day. Where's the chart??? Or logic?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally don't trust Avis with any "enhancements" - we lost big when they switched to this from Free Weekends. While this is more flexible, you pay for the flexibility in more than one way. You never had to pay any percentage based taxes on those rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.