Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium at Lax

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by LAXative
I've seen Chevy Silverados (full-size pickup trucks) starting to appear on the lot.
Unfortunately all of the pickups that I've seen have been low on the options. This goes for all the Silverados and F150s and the sole Ram (DFW) that I've seen. Note: if you want but don't need a pickup, I've seen a lot in the exchange aisle! You might book a mid-size and luck out.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Unfortunately all of the pickups that I've seen have been low on the options. This goes for all the Silverados and F150s and the sole Ram (DFW) that I've seen. Note: if you want but don't need a pickup, I've seen a lot in the exchange aisle! You might book a mid-size and luck out.
I once got a Ford F-150 Lariat in SEA, nicely featured interior. I'll have to poke my head into a few tomorrow to see how they're optioned. I'll be arriving into LAX.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:08 pm

I once got a Ford F-150 Lariat in SEA, nicely featured interior. I'll have to poke my head into a few tomorrow to see how they're optioned. I'll be arriving into LAX.
SEA seems to have well-optioned trucks, no idea why. I've seen Ram SLTs with pretty much every option available for that trim.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Returning with a report. The 5 Silverados I saw at LAX were LT Crew Cab 4X4s with Standard Box, sans leather. Not base (WT=Work Truck), but not top-of-the-line either (LTZ Z71).

LT includes:
- MyLink with XM, Bluetooth, OnStar
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
- Underseat storage
- Lots of chrome

Oddly though, the base price of the 1WT trim is slightly more than the LT on the Chevy website.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Personally, if you want a real American driving experience, I would opt for a Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL (LTZ/Denali trims respectively for the top-level features). Nothing like 2.5 tons of metal rumbling down the freeway, driven by a V-8, just to haul you and some luggage around.
My two cents, as someone who's been in this place before: Exactly this.
Change your "premium"/Group G reservation to Group Z (large SUV) - if you don't mind the couple hundred pounds in cost over a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle, that is (maybe £500 more in rental costs plus about 60 more gallons of fuel at $4+ per).

These truck-based. body-on-frame, two-and-a-half ton luxury SUVs will deliver on the quintessential American 'cruising down the highway' driving experience in ways modern cars (and, to a lesser extent, their smaller, car-based CUV cousins) do not anymore.
Plus, you will be able to enjoy sights you won't get to see in any car such as the dirt-'road' scenic loop drive around Monument Valley as a bonus, if you want to.

In these big SUVs, you sit perched high above the ground on sofa-like chairs and command a vastly superior view of the scenery around you while gliding down the highway. Modern cars (all of them, just look at the gunslits that pass for windows these days) pale in comparison with those airy cabins.

That said, among the premium offerings, go for the 2014 Chrevolet Impala (NOT the fleet special "Impala Limited" that's also around). It offers the most space in the group and has the best seats IMHO.
And don't hesitate to go back (or call Avis and drop in at a station along the way) and change the vehicle you got if you don't like any aspect of it or even just feel like trying something else. They're usually very accommodating.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhomburg
That said, among the premium offerings, go for the 2014 Chrevolet Impala (NOT the fleet special "Impala Limited" that's also around). It offers the most space in the group and has the best seats IMHO.
Currently driving a 2014 Impala LTZ from LAX, which ain't a bad ride and is fully loaded, including a panoramic sunroof.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by bhomburg
That said, among the premium offerings, go for the 2014 Chrevolet Impala (NOT the fleet special "Impala Limited" that's also around).
Unfortunately, this "Impala Limited" will be produced until 2016 At AVP, I asked for "a new Impala" last week when they had a depleted lot. I was given the contract to an Impala with 215 miles. I got out and realized it was the "Limited". Agents inside didn't know they were still getting this weasel of a car.

Returning with a report. The 5 Silverados I saw at LAX were LT Crew Cab 4X4s with Standard Box, sans leather. Not base (WT=Work Truck), but not top-of-the-line either (LTZ Z71).
I've had one from RDU and seen them at many locations in the past 2 months. They all seem to be equipped identically. Not a horrible truck to drive around it, but I like the higher-end F150s that some locations have (if you need a truck, that is).

Oddly though, the base price of the 1WT trim is slightly more than the LT on the Chevy website.
Is that so they can give huge "fleet discounts" to folks buying the WT trim? This is the same theory as Kohls/JC Penney/etc: Mark the sticker price way up, then give 30% discounts. City managers and other purchasers can brag "I am so good at my job, I got our vehicles at X% off sticker!"
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Currently driving a 2014 Impala LTZ from LAX, which ain't a bad ride and is fully loaded, including a panoramic sunroof.
They will have you bringing it back, as all of them are going RECALL. Have to love GM being scared.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sz2628
They will have you bringing it back, as all of them are going RECALL. Have to love GM being scared.
Did I mention keyless ignition?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred
Just an update!
Arrived yesterday at LAX, and had no problem finding the shuttle, or the Preferred Desk. Explained to the gentleman serving that it was mine and my Daughter's first time in the US, he asked if we wanted an SUV, but I told him my preference was for an American saloon, and off he toodled. Came back and said there's be a Cadillac ready in ten mins, once it had been prepped.

Received a Cadillac XTS 4 (?), 1200 miles, working SatNav, and clever radio too. Not sure what the trim level is, but it has 'bum coolers' so I'm over the moon.

Nice to drive, and comfortable too. Going to have a play with the toys tomorrow, and will know more about the drive after heading to Palm Springs on Wednesday.

Also, after double checking my Avis receipt, it seems it's listed as a Premium Rental, which seemed odd?

Thanks to everyone again for their advice, it's been invaluable.

Last edited by Oneear; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:44 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Oneear
Just an update!
Arrived yesterday at LAX, and had no problem finding the shuttle, or the Preferred Desk. Explained to the gentleman serving that it was mine and my Daughter's first time in the US, he asked if we wanted an SUV, but I told him my preference was for an American saloon, and off he toodled. Came back and said there's be a Cadillac ready in ten mins, once it had been prepped.

Received a Cadillac XTS 4 (?), 1200 miles, working SatNav, and clever radio too. Not sure what the trim level is, but it has 'bum coolers' so I'm over the moon.

Nice to drive, and comfortable too. Going to have a play with the toys tomorrow, and will know more about the drive after heading to Palm Springs on Wednesday.

Also, after double checking my Avis receipt, it seems it's listed as a Premium Rental, which seemed odd?

Thanks to everyone again for their advice, it's been invaluable.
Congrats I'm sure you enjoy the ride. When Avis upgrades you it should list both the class you reserved/paid for and the class you actually checked out.

Feel free to pair your Bluetooth phone. Also if you need a hidden compartment there a silver chevron-shaped piece at the bottom of the control panel... If you press it lightly from underneath, it will flip up.

I also like to make sure three passive lock/unlock are set up so I don't have to pull the key out.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Premium at Lax

In my last few Luxury class rentals I have received the XTS. It's a nice car, make sure to be in sport mode if you want it to be a bit more "sprightly" with the power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.