Wiki Posts
Search

Avis adds "The Works"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
Avis adds "The Works"

BUF Avis location - late flight due to delays, added friend to reservation as he was on the ground so he could pick the car up and meet me at baggage.

Avis added the works for optional services. Friend signed the rental contract, but I'm curious what my options are here. Seems like a typical "client's in a hurry, let's screw them with fine print" type scam.

Called Avis CS - they offered to refund half. Still, $125 left (8 day rental).

Never need to deal with this using National. Guess I've learned not to deal with Avis.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ciba
BUF Avis location - late flight due to delays, added friend to reservation as he was on the ground so he could pick the car up and meet me at baggage.

Avis added the works for optional services. Friend signed the rental contract, but I'm curious what my options are here. Seems like a typical "client's in a hurry, let's screw them with fine print" type scam.

Called Avis CS - they offered to refund half. Still, $125 left (8 day rental).

Never need to deal with this using National. Guess I've learned not to deal with Avis.

I'm confused as to why you are upset with Avis? I would be upset with your friend signing the contract or accepting something you didn't want. At the end of the day Avis did nothing wrong.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

sz2628 - Fair question - I'm upset with Avis because the changed the rental agreement from the reservation and just had him sign for the car.

The contract signed by my friend included coverage. It doesn't appear he requested or agreed to it ("it" meaning a change), other than it was included on the document. His thought was that he just took the reservation as I made it.

This is inconsistent with my experience at other vendors (National and Budget) - when I rent with them, my reservations have always accurately matched the checkout process.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Be honest, I think your friend accepted all the options.

I had a buddy of mine pick up a car for me. The contract came with insurance, prepaid gas, GPS, even a freaking child seat.

Further questioning of my friend (after repeated "I don't know"), when the agent asked if he wanted any options, because he wasn't sure (and he figured I could afford it), to give me everything.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

alphaod - It's certainly possible. Customer service couldn't tell if the change was made onsite or elsewhere. I find it odd given my experience with other companies.

Data point: 7/22 I picked up a car from Budget at LAS and they didn't even ask if I wanted the extras - just sent me with my car per my reservation. This is also my typical experience with National.

Perhaps there's nothing here other than a lesson learned of "be wary of Avis"
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ciba
Perhaps there's nothing here other than a lesson learned of "be wary of Avis"
IMO the lesson may be "be wary of friends who are less than forthcoming."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.