Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More on Avis Toll Ripoffs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by donmeek
Not nearly as "easy as that". I was in Orlando two weeks ago and rented an Avis car - picked it up after dark when my flight arrived and left the airport - no notice provided by Avis that the car was equipped with a SunPass. I deliberately went to the 'cash lane' on SR 528, however even the 'cash lanes' read the SunPass and will not allow you to actually pay in cash if one is installed.

The Avis installed SunPasses can be disabled but are left enabled by Avis as an extremely unwanted 'convenience' until you proactively disable them which is obviously an issue for most people who do not even know they are there and actively do not want to use the 'convenience'.

Someone renting a car for a week who has no intention of using it (or even knowledge it is installed) would be billed the maximum monthly $16.75 'convenience' fee for the $0.75 or $1.50 in tolls they are more than willing to pay in cash. Leaving the devices 'enabled' without the customer's knowledge is a pure and simple money grab when you can not even use a 'cash lane' to avoid the charges.

Also completely unjustified is that the 'convenience' charge lasts the length of the rental at $3.95 a day (capped at $16.75 a month). If you rent the car for a single day and use $1.75 of tolls for a single transaction - the total cost is $3.95 plus $1.75 or $5.70. Now consider you rent the car for an entire week and never ever use another toll again. Your 'convenience' cost now rises by $3.95 a day to a maximum of $16.75 plus $1.75 or $18.50. It does not matter that the 'convenience' was only used once, the fact that you ever use it means that every additional day / month of your rental increases your costs to many times the actual toll cost and somehow using it once on a one day rental is much cheaper than using it the exact same once on a two, four, or seven day rental.
I see your point, but the onus is on the renter to read the rental documents/be aware of policies before renting. If you don't like the SunPass program that Avis offers (just like the fuel/insurance/other options they have), there are plenty of other options:
-Have it deactivated
-Skip all toll roads
-Get a cab/driver
-Get your own pass: https://www.sunpass.com/displayPurch...onderAgreement
-Find another agency
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donmeek
Not nearly as "easy as that". I was in Orlando two weeks ago and rented an Avis car - picked it up after dark when my flight arrived and left the airport - no notice provided by Avis that the car was equipped with a SunPass. I deliberately went to the 'cash lane' on SR 528, however even the 'cash lanes' read the SunPass and will not allow you to actually pay in cash if one is installed.

The Avis installed SunPasses can be disabled but are left enabled by Avis as an extremely unwanted 'convenience' until you proactively disable them which is obviously an issue for most people who do not even know they are there and actively do not want to use the 'convenience'.
I've rented from Avis at MCO many, many times. Enough to earn Avis First. I'm very familiar with the toll roads there and you most certainly can pay cash when you go to the cash lane. Perhaps you were confused by several different lanes and didn't go to the correct "Cash and Receipts" lane?

Also, my experience with the Avis provided surpass devices is that they have always been in the off position when I picked up my car. I always check to verify that.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Holy Mary Mother of Joseph!

The toll tag convenience fee is a ridiculous ripoff!! Yes, I know it's not my fault for not reading the $3.95/daily fee they charge if you use the damn thing once. $1 toll is all I used it for in NJ and it set me back $17.75...... Since I had the car for a week.

Oh well.... lesson learned but for God's sake.... $3.95 daily?

But again I am just as mad at myself for not reading the fine print on using it.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bthobe
Holy Mary Mother of Joseph!

The toll tag convenience fee is a ridiculous ripoff!! Yes, I know it's not my fault for not reading the $3.95/daily fee they charge if you use the damn thing once. $1 toll is all I used it for in NJ and it set me back $17.75...... Since I had the car for a week.

Oh well.... lesson learned but for God's sake.... $3.95 daily?

But again I am just as mad at myself for not reading the fine print on using it.
I think that you will find that she was Joseph's wife rather than his Mother.

I have read some of this (although baffled that this should resurface after 18 months) and would add this. Whilst it is righteous in the extreme to proclaim responsibility for one's action I would add the following

1) In Puerto Rico we had no choice. We tried to pay direct at the tolls but they would not take the money as the device had already been registered. Yes I could possibly have taken another route between San Juan and Ponce - I had little doubt that this was neither practical nor possible

2) Visiting tourists from abroad (yes there are some of us left) may not have the same knowledge and not realise the ramifications of the toll system and the extra charges. Staff rarely if ever explain the controls of the car let alone the tolls

3) As with many things, it is only when the final bill arrives that you realise how much the tolls mount up.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:36 pm

Sorry to revive the old thread..

Had a rental from MCO and got nailed. It was quite late, but I clearly remember pulling off to pay the toll on 528 heading towards International Drive. Of course my $1 toll is now $17.75. If anyone is familiar with the area, is there a stretch of that road that is 100% cash-less?

Also, we drove to Tampa/Clearwater on that trip, so I'm wondering if I accidentally went on their toll-road if I can expect another $16.75 "convenience" fee if they add those tolls on later, or if it'll at least get grouped on and I'll only pay the actual toll amount?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by xero9
Sorry to revive the old thread..

Had a rental from MCO and got nailed. It was quite late, but I clearly remember pulling off to pay the toll on 528 heading towards International Drive. Of course my $1 toll is now $17.75. If anyone is familiar with the area, is there a stretch of that road that is 100% cash-less?

Also, we drove to Tampa/Clearwater on that trip, so I'm wondering if I accidentally went on their toll-road if I can expect another $16.75 "convenience" fee if they add those tolls on later, or if it'll at least get grouped on and I'll only pay the actual toll amount?
The stretch of 528 between the airport and I-4/International Drive has two tolls. Perhaps you missed one of them.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I rented a car in MIA that had a SunPass transponder which was activated.
However, I seem to have been charged the "toll-by-plate" toll rates, which are a lot higher than the SunPass rates. Is that SOP with Avis, or should I complain?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jalves
The stretch of 528 between the airport and I-4/International Drive has two tolls. Perhaps you missed one of them.
Crap, I had a late flight so I wasn't actually driving to our hotel until almost 1am, and I clearly remember paying a toll, but I'm not sure about a second one. I'm starting to second guess myself.

I did ask them for a copy of the picture of the car going through the toll. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by xero9
Crap, I had a late flight so I wasn't actually driving to our hotel until almost 1am, and I clearly remember paying a toll, but I'm not sure about a second one. I'm starting to second guess myself.

I did ask them for a copy of the picture of the car going through the toll. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.
The first toll is right after you get on 528. The second is probably 3 miles down the road. The first one is pretty obvious, a string of toll booths across the road with a couple of lanes to the left for those with transponders. I'm guessing you did pay at this one. The second one is less obvious since the cash/change toll booths are in a separate part of the road that might look like an exit, while those using a transponder just keep traveling along the main road. I'd bet this is the one you missed.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:23 pm

I rented a car a couple of weekends ago in Houston. I added the cars plates to my parents EzTag account, as i have done many times in the past, so i could use the license plate scanner and have it ding their account instead of the rental company's. Well, some of the tolls went to my parents' account and others to Avis. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I stand a chance refuting the tolls? Seems like an issue i'd have to take up with the toll road authority instead of Avis, though. :-/
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
complain?

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I rented a car in MIA that had a SunPass transponder which was activated.
However, I seem to have been charged the "toll-by-plate" toll rates, which are a lot higher than the SunPass rates. Is that SOP with Avis, or should I complain?
Ah, no. (Did you read the thread?)

Like you, I rented from MIA with a Sun Pass transponder. Drove to Key West and the tolls were well marked. My "bill" (inc. convenience fee) was $9.30. Pretty reasonable for a 6-hour return trip.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Ah, no. (Did you read the thread?)
You're replying to a post from 2015 - a whole year ago.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

Sorry to restart this old thread but I am ticked off that in a a state like MA, there is NO Cash lane
anymore. That means I HAVE to use E-toll. In such cases why is AVIS charging $3.95 additional
fee ? This looks like a case for class action...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

Sorry to restart this old thread but I am ticked off that in a a state like MA, there is NO Cash lane
anymore. That means I HAVE to use E-toll. In such cases why is AVIS charging $3.95 additional

How? They is ways around this like using your own ez-pass. They also tell you upfront the charges.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

I think someone tried - if you don't like the toll ripoffs then use Silver Car as they only charge what you used and no fee. I vote with my wallet or avoid destinations that has cashless toll system and I can't go online to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.