FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More on Avis Toll Ripoffs
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:22 am
jalves

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donmeek
Not nearly as "easy as that". I was in Orlando two weeks ago and rented an Avis car - picked it up after dark when my flight arrived and left the airport - no notice provided by Avis that the car was equipped with a SunPass. I deliberately went to the 'cash lane' on SR 528, however even the 'cash lanes' read the SunPass and will not allow you to actually pay in cash if one is installed.

The Avis installed SunPasses can be disabled but are left enabled by Avis as an extremely unwanted 'convenience' until you proactively disable them which is obviously an issue for most people who do not even know they are there and actively do not want to use the 'convenience'.
I've rented from Avis at MCO many, many times. Enough to earn Avis First. I'm very familiar with the toll roads there and you most certainly can pay cash when you go to the cash lane. Perhaps you were confused by several different lanes and didn't go to the correct "Cash and Receipts" lane?

Also, my experience with the Avis provided surpass devices is that they have always been in the off position when I picked up my car. I always check to verify that.