Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a new Ford: Make sure your lights are on!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Got a new Ford: Make sure your lights are on!!

Late last Thursday evening, I was driving on 40 over near the NC/TN border. Within about 30 minutes, I saw both a new Focus & Escape motoring down 40W without any tail lights! Both had "headlights" (probably DRL) on, but nothing on the rear. We about rear ended the Escape because it was pitch black and they were hard to see coming up on them around a bend!

We hung out the window & yelled at the Escape folks, who quickly turned their lights on and thanked us. The Focus driver was on his phone and completely oblivious to us flashing lights behind him. Both cars had the "No Smoking" sticker on the window that gives them away as Avis cars. I haven't had a Ford in a while, but I'm guessing they had the lights off and by default running lights are on. In any case, if you get a Ford, be sure your lights are on with functioning tail lights, not just daytime running lights!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
thanks for heads up. was driving through there around 8-9pm that evening, myself. no, it was not me
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:04 am

Good advice. I've noticed that most rental cars equipped with automatic headlights are not turned to that option on pickup?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:39 pm

I had a 2013 Ford Edge in Tucson last week and the headlights were VERY low. It was impossible to see when I was driving down streets with no lights. Turning was also difficult b/c the lights were so low. Is this a FORD thing? We have a 2012 Escape and no problems.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sparksals
I had a 2013 Ford Edge in Tucson last week and the headlights were VERY low. It was impossible to see when I was driving down streets with no lights. Turning was also difficult b/c the lights were so low. Is this a FORD thing? We have a 2012 Escape and no problems.
did you actually turn the lights on? Most of the newer fords have daytime running lamps.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
did you actually turn the lights on? Most of the newer fords have daytime running lamps.
i'm guessing that was his issue
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:12 am

And they're not even DRLs on the Ford Edge, more like LED light bars which provide even less light and probably explain his problem.

The Edge has automatic headlamps, make sure you turn the dial to such.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 am

No, that wasn't the issue. The lights were supposedly on. I thought they were off, kept trying each setting and nothing changed. Pointed very low.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Good advice. I've noticed that most rental cars equipped with automatic headlights are not turned to that option on pickup?
same experience here. I couldn't count how many times i realized my headlights weren't on after i get on the highway.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
Got pulled over in CLE two years ago at disk because of this. Cracked me up. Officer wasn't so thrilled. Both of our cars at home have auto lights, do I just expected them to be on and didnt even think of it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by CrizzleColts
Got pulled over in CLE two years ago at disk because of this. Cracked me up. Officer wasn't so thrilled. Both of our cars at home have auto lights, do I just expected them to be on and didnt even think of it.
Same here - and it's not just Fords. Rented a Nissan Altima from Avis SFO a couple of years back. Left my hotel in Concord, CA just after dark - the whole dashboard lit up like a christmas tree automatically, and I thought I saw headlights (presumably DRLs, on reflection), so I ventured forth. Got whoop-whooped by a cop while stopped at a traffic light, but explained that it was a rental.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sparksals
I've had 2 Explorers in the last week. The low beams seem poor in both. Not "impossible to see" poor, but still not nearly bright enough for a brand new car. I've had a few Lincolns recently and haven't had issues with them.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Was driving down 101 on 11/15 at 2045 hrs. Everybody around me honked and I pulled over to see what was going on. Pure luck, turned lights on and 3 mins later found CHP pass me.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
I had a co-worker in a 2012 Mustang driving around with headlights only. He eventually got pulled over. One time as I handed my ticket oer to get off the lot in a 300 the agent reached into the car and turned the switch to auto. I thought that was a nice move.

Last night in cleveland I had another 300 and set the lights to auto. I got the car back form a Valet and the Valet had turned the switch away from auto.

I think AVIS should st everything to auto when possible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.