Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis First, President's Club & Chairman's Club

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
My [very large tech] company just switched to Avis and my Hertz PC was matched to Avis PC. I'm in no way an executive.
Because my corporate travel only has a limited number of membership, they go to executives first. Your company may have more membership cards than mine.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I've had PC for a while now and I generally like it but I'm probably at 75% for upgrades mostly to premium or Lux. If I didn't frequent MCO then I'd be more like 50% or maybe even slightly less. Anyways, are there any recent CHMs that can chime in as to the rate of upgrades they are getting also what % of those are signature upgrades (I'm talking assignments not having to beg at the counter each time).

Do any of you use the valet option? Seems kind of pointless if you have to go to the location and pick them up to drop you off. Wouldn't even save time compared to ATL skytrain. Can I just drop the thing within 25 miles and they come pick it up? Not looking to do this regularly but I can see using this a few times a year.

Any other perks I'm missing?

Just looking for recent results. Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:42 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
are there any recent CHMs that can chime in as to the rate of upgrades they are getting also what % of those are signature upgrades (I'm talking assignments not having to beg at the counter each time).
I'd say as a CHM my auto-upgrade rate has been ~98% now that ILM isn't a franchise (the only place I had issues getting an upgrade). The only time in the past 2 years I can recall not getting at least a full-size car was in DFW when I was in a small car. I went to the counter & they were very apologetic as the "computer put me in that automatically and we didn't catch it" and then I was given a 7 Series.

I'd say at least half have been specialty cars based on our fleet list here (BMWs, MBs, Navigator, XTS, Silverado, F150). I'd say it would be higher as I'm offered 3-series often, but I like to try other (non-lux/specialty cars) on shorter trips just to try them out.

Do any of you use the valet option? Seems kind of pointless if you have to go to the location and pick them up to drop you off. Wouldn't even save time compared to ATL skytrain. Can I just drop the thing within 25 miles and they come pick it up? Not looking to do this regularly but I can see using this a few times a year.
ALWAYS use the valet at places with a bus/train. It's MUCH quicker than waiting for the mass transit to show up or fill up before taking off to the terminal. Also saves having to lug bags an extra time as they stay in the trunk til the terminal.

Also, I sometimes do the "pickup" option: If I have an early flight, I'll leave the keys at the front desk at the hotel the night before. Ring Avis and tell them to come get the car. Saves me from having to take the car back early or fight at 3am when I can get an extra 20 minutes of sleep.

Any other perks I'm missing?
For me, the spouse pickup is GREAT. My wife often gets somewhere before I can, so she can grab the car instead of waiting for me.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'd say as a CHM my auto-upgrade rate has been ~98% now that ILM isn't a franchise (the only place I had issues getting an upgrade). The only time in the past 2 years I can recall not getting at least a full-size car was in DFW when I was in a small car.
IAH, thanks for the response and confirming that PC is crap compared to CHM. I guess it's time for me to renegotiate the contract. Only thing I'll point out is that I suspect if I booked a car size smaller than Full size, I'd probably always get upgraded to Fullsize. But that's the reason I book Full, so that I can (hopefully) get the two class upgrade to Lux. I'm with you that I like trying out new vehicles and I'll admit that I've been disappointed (seriously sounds absurd when I say it) that I keep getting XTS's.

I'm intrigued by the drop off thing. Maybe it's just the airports I frequent but if I have to drive to the car center and wait for someone to jump in the car with me, I don't see how that saves me any time and since most of my travel is with a carry-on the luggage hauling doesn't help me.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:26 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'm with you that I like trying out new vehicles and I'll admit that I've been disappointed (seriously sounds absurd when I say it) that I keep getting XTS's.
Hah, I feel the same way! Totally a first world problem of "always getting stuck with an XTS".

I'm intrigued by the drop off thing. Maybe it's just the airports I frequent but if I have to drive to the car center and wait for someone to jump in the car with me, I don't see how that saves me any time and since most of my travel is with a carry-on the luggage hauling doesn't help me.
Sorry for the confusion: For the valet option, yes, you still need to drive to the center, get checked-in, then they drive you to the terminal. In my opinion, it saves the time/hassle. For example, yesterday I had to return my coworker's car to Hertz at ORD. I walked to their bus & waited ~5 minutes for it to fill up. Then had to wait for the bus to stop at all terminals before I could get off. With Avis, it would have been much quicker/more pleasant.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Sorry for the confusion: For the valet option, yes, you still need to drive to the center, get checked-in, then they drive you to the terminal. In my opinion, it saves the time/hassle. For example, yesterday I had to return my coworker's car to Hertz at ORD. I walked to their bus & waited ~5 minutes for it to fill up. Then had to wait for the bus to stop at all terminals before I could get off. With Avis, it would have been much quicker/more pleasant.
FWIW I'm also Hertz Platinum and use their curbside pickup and drop off extensively. It saves a lot of time and I don't even have to do a check-in. They deal with that later and I get an email receipt. I'm usually off the lot and heading back to the airport in less than a minute or two. With the bus it takes a good bit longer.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
My upgrade stats are similar to what IAHtraveler posted. Previously, when I was a Pres Preferred my upgrades were very sparse and nothing to write home about, so the move up in status a few years ago has been significantly better.

I also echo the comments about the Caddy XTS. The majority of the time, that is what is waiting for me in my spot. More times than not I will go up to the counter to switch into pretty much anything else.

I am also Hertz Plat but do not use them nearly as much as their prices always seem quite a bit higher than Avis.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
It's time again for the daily getaways, and maybe your chance to buy a CHM membership.

The first two weeks are up, but nothing from Avis yet:

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Default.aspx

edit: it's up now, May 2nd is your chance to buy a CHM membership for the low low price of $1115.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Mar 31, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I am also Hertz Plat but do not use them nearly as much as their prices always seem quite a bit higher than Avis.
I have a good company discount with Hertz. So I use them for business rentals and Avis for personal rentals.

And I love the Caddy XTS! I know, it takes all kinds.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
It's time again for the daily getaways, and maybe your chance to buy a CHM membership.

The first two weeks are up, but nothing from Avis yet:

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Default.aspx

edit: it's up now, May 2nd is your chance to buy a CHM membership for the low low price of $1115.

David
So a year membership... What r the terms to keep the status?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by LReyes66
So a year membership... What r the terms to keep the status?
I think it's previously been posted that the renewals come in at around $2K. Which does match the "estimated value" shown.

I don't know if anybody has tried purchasing through Daily Getaways as a renewal. It's some significant bucks, but they have sold out the past few years.

David
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I think it's previously been posted that the renewals come in at around $2K. Which does match the "estimated value" shown.

I don't know if anybody has tried purchasing through Daily Getaways as a renewal. It's some significant bucks, but they have sold out the past few years.

David
I believe I read on the same old thread that talked about a $2k renewal that you couldn't use this for a renewal.

I can't justify either cost. I considered it a few years ago when I lost Presidents club for a bit but couldn't make the math work in my head as I could just buy up if I really wanted a nice upgrade.

Now I'm not saying I wouldn't take CHM for free so I'm going to work on that.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Haven't seen many reports of what it's like to be a PC at SFO. Anyone have any anecdotes?

My company just switched from Hertz and we're required to book into Intermediate. PC upgrades at Hertz, if any, seemed to be simply one-class blah upgrades.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't seen many reports of what it's like to be a PC at SFO. Anyone have any anecdotes?
It's been a long time, but I recall it was about the same as LAX. I think I got a Cadillac.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:36 am

My company just switched from Hertz and we're required to book into Intermediate. PC upgrades at Hertz, if any, seemed to be simply one-class blah upgrades.
Avis PC is much better than Hertz in my experience. SFO wasn't bad I've gotten Volvo and Caddy's there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.